PDA

View Full Version : Airbag cut off switch

carlymac
01/14/2005, 08:24 AM
I found this in one of my police supply catalogs. Its a switch that turns off the airbags so an officer can safely crash out (PITT maneuver) a suspect vehicle. Not to mention the thousands of dollars a passenger side airbag can cause tearing through an equipment stack: lap top, mobile radio, RADAR unit, siren, light switchbox, and last but not least your hat...all oblterated in the blink of an eye

pic of switch (http://www.galls.com/jpegs/20969.jpg)
As Low As 179.99

AOI Electrical Airbag Switch
Helps protect you from potentially propelled items and protect your expensive equipment.
Gives you the option of turning your airbag on/off depending on interior equipment that might interfere with its deployment
High visibility status lighting
Lifetime Warranty - FREE replacement in case of accident (call manufacturer)
Download applications online
Meets NHTSA regulations
1-1/2"H x 2"W x 3"D
Specify vehicle make.

Raque Thomas
01/14/2005, 09:06 AM
Couldn't this be accomplished with a $5 switch from Pep Boys interrupting the power to the bag? I have not looked at the wiring diagram, but seems like a lot of money for a switch!

mbeach
01/14/2005, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't mess with ANY of the airbag wiring. A short or hokey homemade wiring can cause the bag to deploy unexpectedly -hence all of the airbag warnings you see when doing electrical work.

Some people (in my other car communities) have had luck simply removing the propellant cartridges from their 'bags. Not as quickly reversible, but then you're not tapping wires either.

nater
01/14/2005, 07:52 PM
Guys, there is a TSB with part numbers for airbag switch and harness parts from Isuzu. Talk to the dealership, or maybe try Merlin at St. Charles Auto.

It is TSB SB98-04-L009. Unfortunately, due to my own stupidity, I only have the left half of the pages. Have your dealership pull the bulletin up and see what it says about the VX.

Nate