PDA

View Full Version : cladding maintenance

GOVEHIX
01/11/2005, 02:20 AM
what can i do to the claddings to keep them shine and dark? or are there any maintenances i can do for it? i once put wax on the claddings, it looks good right after, but after a couple weeks, the wax shown up and whiten the whole body of my vx, and it's hard to remove. i went to the kragens, and they suggest me to use the cleaner wax.

any one ever used the clean wax before?

after that, are there any maintenance i can do for the cladding?

Anita
01/11/2005, 08:44 AM
Many members swear by products like Turtle Wax 2000 spray and Mother's Back to Black. Look for products made specifically for the cladding with UV protection and no solvents. :cool!:

nyc #1 ironman
01/11/2005, 09:34 AM
Cliptone.

coolk41
01/11/2005, 11:56 AM
I had good luck with Mother's Back to Black. It did seem to last a little longer than the other products I've Used. Two weeks tops With periodic buffing to keep it clean. I have given thought to having it painted. I'am not really sure how that would look. Would that truck bedding stuff like Rhino coat work?

Anita
01/11/2005, 12:17 PM
For coatings check out this thread:

Cladding (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2297&highlight=line-x)

Whaleboy
01/11/2005, 12:42 PM
WyrreJ had used some of that plastic dye on his cladding with good results, but haven't heard back how its endured the weather since he's done it over the past month.. That's something I've been considering using.

I was reading the manual last week, and it suggested using a resin polish for the cladding. Haven't tried this myself, but am curious about it. Amazingly no other members here have tried this either to my knowledge, despite it being in the manual.

I just purchased a second VX, and the cladding has the turning light grey problem, which a previous VX I had also had the same. You really gotta scrub that cladding, but the small pits really hold on to whatever funk causes the discoloration.

When I used Turtlewax I swear it made the panels worse after it had washed off. Don't know about Armor all, but I hear horrible things. Mothers back to black is a really good temporary fix. But man its a pain to put a coat of that stuff on every time. And then of course it runs which looks horrible.

It's getting on my last nerves in order to make the cladding look really good I have to dress it up with all this crap.

I don't know about that whole line-x thing. Eventually after I finish my interior work, I was gonna zoom down to this shop that does powder coating. They claim they can do this on plastic. So I wanna see.

Or maybe WyrreJ can pipe in and report his latest results on that dye. Maybe thats the ultimate-easiest solution for black cladding that doesn't run.

geshaw30
01/11/2005, 02:27 PM
Tried most everything over the years and it came down to two. Meguiars "High Endurance Gloss for Tires" (purple stuff that smells likes grapes) and Mothers. I found Meguiars is the far better of the two for southern heat. It works even better for touch ups once you have an old rag soaked with the stuff.

A search will give you tons of opinions though
________
Teen sleeping (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1049/sleeping/videos/1)

Cyrk
01/11/2005, 02:34 PM
I second the Meguiars stuff... works great and smells even better... yum :yeso:

Tone
01/11/2005, 03:49 PM
I just tried TurtleWax's Black Chrome Cleaner/Sealant on my cladding and after days of rain I washed the VX and the cladding still looks great. No runs, no white spots. When I put it on, I had to go back around and rub it in a second time to get even coverage but nothing too hard. No ingredients listed but it is not flammable.

kpaske
01/11/2005, 07:26 PM
I've been using Mother's Preserves Protectant for the past year or so, about every other wash, and it seems to work really well. Like Tone, I have to go over it twice to get a good even coat, but it doesn't run or have any other undesirable effects. It's good stuff, and easy to apply.