PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Flush

Child's Play
01/08/2005, 12:09 PM
Need some help / comments here. I just turned 30K on the OD and want to switch my ATF over to synthetic. So, I called the dealer that I use, and they said they do not flush the ATF, they just drain and fill. Oh yeah, they also said that I didn't need to change the filter! Anyway, so I took it to my mechanic and he said he couldn't flush it because all the lines had compression fittings(?) and he didn't know a good way to go about hooking up his machine without damaging the lines. So, I have read in other posts, that people have had their ATF flushed. Is this an option, and if so, who did the flush for you and does anyone know exactly how to do it?

Adam

I_Wanna_Retire
01/08/2005, 01:24 PM
Hmm, been awhile, but seems to me I used Jiffy Lube. And oh ya, I got the same bull**** from the first two Jiffy Lubes I went to, but just called around and finally found one that knew how to do it. Tone recommends alternating flush and filter change, and that is what I have been doing on all my VX's. Good luck.

xdfarrx
01/08/2005, 02:05 PM
I use EZ Lube- They do a reverse flow flush. Really the best. Some dealers have the machine some don't. This is the best because it removes the crap out of the filter by reverse pressure. I had the guy do an over pour of ATF to make sure I got a complete flush. I went with synthetic ATF too, Mobil 1.
good luck

Joe_Black
01/08/2005, 02:10 PM
Your mechanic is an idiot. There aren't any compression fittings at all. Do it yourself and save a bundle, here's how: Tranny service. (http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/4L30E_01.asp)

Heraclid
01/08/2005, 02:34 PM
There wasn't a word about compression fittings when I had mine flushed.

kpaske
01/08/2005, 09:22 PM
I know from experience, Joe_Black's method works great. I switched over to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF and my tranny shifts better than ever. Process is very easy, even for an amateur mechanic like myself.

Only thing is I would still like to change the filter, just for my own piece of mind. If anyone knows how to do it, please post some instructions!

xiaoz
01/08/2005, 11:33 PM
just did my 30k service today and on the receipt the work done is not exactly listed as on the manual, and it seems dealer all have their own sets of items on the list, but anyway the major things all done. As far as the AT filter, the guy told me the tranny filter is a metal one, no need to change. I was surprised, i thought most filter should be metal, is there plastic one? anyway, the major job they did on the 30K is tranny clean and refill, cooland flush reill and fuel system clean refill, each labor $90 + parts, wheel bearing repac $80. I was planning to ask them to fix my left side window, but then the basic service out of warranty, it's 3 years or 50k, let them do it another $90, damn, i should have brought the VX there earlier. Not sure how complicated to do it myself, i mean i'm not mechanical inclined, any comments?

xiaoz

Navigator
01/09/2005, 03:33 PM
The machine used to flush the tranny is called a T-Tech. It connectcs to the transmission cooler lines and totally replaces your fluid. Typically costs $80 and is very simple to use. Google the word T-Tech for more details and remember to ask for it by name. If the shop does not know what it is move on to one that does. AAMCO does mine, some Jiffy lubes have them (not all). :luck: