PDA

View Full Version : shifter problem

VX Grrrl
01/03/2005, 02:07 PM
A couple weeks ago, the temps went down into the teens. When I went to back out of my parking space in the morning, the shifter was very stiff and made a sort of squeaking noise. When I put the shifter in reverse and hit the gas, the engine revved high but the VX wouldn't move. I waited another minute, tried again and same problem. After waiting almost 5 minutes, I was able to go but the shifter was still a little stiff when I put it into Drive. Have any of you had this problem? Now, whenever the temperature is low, I give it a few minutes to warm up before I attempt to move. But is this normal? I originally thought that maybe the tranny fluid was old and not as viscous and needed changed. But when I called the Isuzu place to schedule an appointment, they said they didn't think it had anything to do with the tranny fluid. (They also said that Isuzu feels that the tranny fluid should not be changed unless the vehicle is being driven under extreme driving conditions....whatever that means. I've only had the vehicle for the last 1000 miles. I don't know how it was driven for the previous 62,000 miles.) Do you guys have any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

Tone
01/03/2005, 04:26 PM
Stiffness would normally mean something in the linkage needed lubrication or adjustment. Assuming you got the shifter into reverse after a few minutes of the engine running (and the tranny cirulating and heating the fluid) it is probably fluid related. Try pulling the top fill plug on the tranny pan when hot and see if any fluid runs out. If not, it is low and will need to be topped off and probably fix the problem.

Another clueless Isuzu Dealer - but then I guess they are in the business of selling you expensive powertrain parts. Can't change ANY fluid too long and the 20K severe service fluid interval means 40K of normal driving at best - I change mine every 10-15K to be safe.