PDA

View Full Version : Oil usage

Tyler
12/30/2004, 07:06 AM
With all the posts about oil usage I've got a question. I go thru a quart about every 1000 miles, sometimes less, sometimes more, its never consistant (there are no leaks). I replace the PCV valve on a reg basis and keep the EGR valve clean. That helps but the usage is there. I spoke with my mechanic that I've used for the last 13 years and he said at some point the engine will need replaced (well duh). I just turned over 82,000 miles and that seems a little premature to be replacing.

I check the oil every couple of weeks and add when necessary but will this usage eventually lead to total engine falure or can the engine be fixed before that happens? New rings, seals, etc? Or will I just be adding oil for the rest of the VX's life (which I don't mind) Anyone had experience with this?

Hope everyone out there has a good New Year.

autox-racer
12/30/2004, 08:06 AM
there are only 4 places for oil to go... The ground, past the rings, past the valve seals or into the intake which goes out the exhaust. well one more but that is bigger issue.. The radiator...usually from blown headgasket with a bad radiator cap.

From my experience, my vx with almost 60k seems to be eating it through the intake via the PVC valve and crank case vent to intake tube. The spark plugs are very clean so it is not coming through the valve seals(would be very oily). There might be a little from the rings because there is browning to the plugs(indicates a mist of oil) but considering mine eats about as much oil as yours I am going with crank case. oh, and when I replaced my intake with the supercharger I was amazed at how much oil was in the intake... So again I am thinking crank case issues. Could be blow by that is increasing the crank case pressure and sending more oil/air to intake also. My compressing is fine though...checked when I first got a intake gasket leak.

So with that said, I really doubt the engine will need replacing, unless of course you don't check your oil and run dry. Then you can count on a ticking, then knocking and then stopping.

Tyler
12/30/2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for reply. If there is something with the crank case as you might suspect whats the fix and how do I explain to my mechanic what to look for? Will this problem get worse, or in your opinion just adding oil, keeping the PCV replaced and the EGR clean be good enough?

Thanks again.

autox-racer
12/30/2004, 12:50 PM
I don't think you can really look for anything.

I was going to vent my crankcase with a little filter on the breather and see what happens to oil consumption. I have not found the little filters(not really looked) but I know others have vented crankcases so could be an easy fix if not diagnosis.

Is worth a shot to see oil is getting past rings or seals.