PDA

View Full Version : SC and ECM....

Maugan_VX
12/29/2004, 02:22 PM
Those of you that have the SC, why aren't the SC's available with more boost? I think I remember reading that it has to do with the ECM brainfarting or something at anything more than 5psi.

I don't wanna lay down $2500 and only get 5psi. Cost/benefit ratio doesn't work for me there.

Tried a search but couldn't find much.

Tone
12/29/2004, 02:53 PM
5psi on this Roots style blower and the tranny that is in the VX is plenty. Please attend a meet that has a blown VX there and go for a ride. I guarantee you will be grinning - this is the way the VX should have shipped from the factory.

MorganTec says 6 is the upper limit - I have seen it throw codes at that pressure as the ECM can't provide enough fuel. Featherfoot is working on a mod and there is always the UNI chip if you want to experiment with more. Realize with 5psi, you are getting close to the max power handling of the tranny.

The cost per HP works out very favorably and there are no othe choices until Morgan finishes his kit.

Maugan_VX
12/29/2004, 04:36 PM
I've driven a SC'd VX. I like the way it drives, just not sure its worth the cost, and the cost of negating the extended warranty I have on the vehicle.

Thanks for the input. Although I'm still stuck in indecisiveness.

morgan-tec
12/29/2004, 07:10 PM
I think if the ecu freaks out with the boost i am going to throw at it then i will step up the injectors and run a good piggyback fuel controller to fix the problem. Caliculations for my new project say almost 7psi at redline with the current pulley size so i may have to machine a few different sizes to see what works best. I was told 6psi by Alpine tech support with no fuel mods, so that is where i am starting for now.

chumone
12/30/2004, 11:59 AM
So you are working on a SC kit, morgan? Any additional info (ETA, etc.).

Tone
12/30/2004, 01:21 PM
Stock injectors (19lb) can easily handle the extra boost IF you can talk to them to increase their open time.

morgan-tec
12/30/2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by chumone
So you are working on a SC kit, morgan? Any additional info (ETA, etc.).

Yes, i am starting a custom powerdyne centrifical setup on my Axiom, nd if it will fit in the engine bay it should work on the VX as well. ETA is probibly a month or two out for now, i am really busy and have very little free time to do the design and fab right now.

MachineVX
06/03/2005, 07:44 AM
I know very little about engines . . . so bear with me . . .

would higher flow injectors flow more fuel than the current ones when the ECM tells them to open up?

Please, teach me!

MachineVX
06/03/2005, 07:51 AM
"The ECU controls how long the injectors are "on" and if too much fuel gets dumped into the cylinders, the ECU will decrease the on time accordingly. "

Got an answer. Never mind!