PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

Artist4Sale
12/28/2004, 07:48 AM
Just came back from a road trip from the holidays and noticed my VX getting louder like a darn big ol' deisel truck or something. Anyone else have this trouble? Any ideas to what is causing it?

Thanks!
Stacey

Cyrk
12/28/2004, 08:01 AM
Sounds like the EGR value needs to be tightened... check the EGR nut attaching the EGR tube to the bottom of the valve. Here is my post back when I was having weird sounds, turned out to be the EGR...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3587&highlight=EGR

Heraclid
12/28/2004, 03:30 PM
While we're on the subject of unwanted noises, I wanted throw something in. I developed a pretty annoying rear door rattle and couldn't find anything wrong. Like has been said before, sound travels through vehicles in weird ways. Because of the location and all, I really did not think it could possibly be it, but for the heck of it I finally removed the metal license plate frame. Not a peep since.

Y33TREKker
12/28/2004, 07:07 PM
Yep, just had to tighten the nut on the bottom of my EGR valve for the same reason. From reading about the symptom and cause on this site awhile back, I expected that the nut must be somewhat loose when I started to hear the dieseling sound coming from the engine bay, but I sure didn't expect it to be backed out of the EGR valve ALL THE WAY, and simply wobbling around on the tube about two inches below the valve!

Anyway, nut has been tightened, and no more noise.

Incidentally, the change in operating conditions with the nut tightened was enough to produce a check-engine code/light on the dash. I reset it by disconnecting the (-) battery cable for awhile, and so far it hasn't come back on.

misterdallas
02/07/2005, 06:23 AM
Can I tighten this nut myself? What tool do I need to use? Or do I need to take it to the mechanic?

Thanks for the input.

Misterdallas

thebear54
02/07/2005, 06:33 AM
I found out (to my dismay,not on the VX though) that this dieseling sound can also be caused by a loose or flopping spark plug. It scared the hell out of me when it happened. She went from "Hummm to Bam Bam Bam" real quick.
I make it a point to check ERG and plugs once per month...once was enough for me ;)
John

Dallas4u
02/07/2005, 07:58 AM
Can I tighten this nut myself? What tool do I need to use? Or do I need to take it to the mechanic?

You can tighten the nut yourself. It can be a pain in the arse to thread back into the bottom of the EGR vlave mount, but it can be done. Before I had the SC kit installed I think I had re-tightened the nut 3-4 times... after the kit was installed it didn't slip once.

misterdallas
02/07/2005, 08:21 AM
Can I use the slip wrench? What would be the best tool?

Thanks so much for the input.

Misterdallas

Ldub
02/07/2005, 09:10 AM
A 22mm stubby wrench is the way to go,Sears has them.I carry one in the glovebox at all times.

misterdallas
02/07/2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you very much Ldub. I'll let you know how it goes.

Misterdallas

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/07/2005, 04:54 PM
A 22mm stubby wrench is the way to go,Sears has them.I carry one in the glovebox at all times.
Good Luck,Ldub

Great minds think alike...lol...I bought mine from Sears too and carry it in my small tool kit inside my spare.

Ironically enough...my EGR nut never came loose with the stock setup...but after the blower was installed it has vibrated loose a couple times now...I've since added threadlock and tightened until blue in the face...hopefully she'll stay put now...if not...at least I've got my stubby wrench to make life easier!

misterdallas
02/08/2005, 06:35 AM
We're all good now. The EGR nut is firmly in place. No more "diesel" noise. Thanks to all again for your input.

Misterdallas

Ldub
02/08/2005, 06:41 AM
Glad to hear that was it & not something harder to fix,like exhaust gasket or stripped sparkplug,etc.You might want to ck. it again in about a week,just to make sure.

misterdallas
02/08/2005, 06:57 AM
Will do Ldub. It's on there pretty tight right now. It will be on the checklist whenever I check under the hood.

Misterdallas

tlords
09/30/2006, 06:13 AM
THis site is awesome! I'm having the same problem with my VX (Proton Yellow). I can't wait to check this later this afternoon.

- Tlords

etlsport
09/30/2006, 08:52 AM
tlords, i agree.. this site is awesome, pretty much you can find anything you would ever want about your VX here... and thanks for using the search feature!! new members tend to ask questions that have been answered many many times without searching for it first