PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive Vehicle I've Ever Owned !!!!

transio
12/28/2004, 06:48 AM
Ironically, the VX is the cheapest vehicle purchase I've ever made, yet the cost of ownership (including maintenance and stupid *** parking lot accidents) has been higher than any other car I've owned! Here's the list of cars that I've bought on my own:

Car Cost Tax+Dep Interst Maint Accid Owned Cost/Month

1999 Mustang $17200P 4200 1500 100 0 15mo $386.66
2000 BMW M Cpe. $43600L 5078 1962 0 500 9mo $837.77
2000 F-150 H.D. $26500P 4000 0 0 0 5mo $800.00
2001 Honda S2K $32500L 9450 5850 600 0 36mo $441.66
2001 Isuzu VX $15700P 1500 628* 3500* 2850 8mo $1059.75

LEGEND:

Cost = What I paid (P) or sticker price for leases (L)
Tax+Dep = Sales tax + depreciation.
Maint = Oil changes, service, new parts, etc.
Accid = Cost due to accidents
Owned = Length of ownership in months

* The $628 interest cost is equivalent to 6% assumed lost potential income due to having money tied up in the VX.

* The $3500 maintenance includes the cost of replacing shocks, wheels and tires, and other upgrades I've made (exhaust, intake, and hitch, etc.)

Despite the bad luck I've had backing up into other cars, the VX has still been very expensive to own, mostly because of the expense of replacing the shocks and wheels, which is maintenance that I haven't had on other vehicles - because I didn't own them long enough to need it! :) Anyhow, I'm hoping that the cost of ownership will come down the longer I own this thing, but right now, it's looking the other way around! LOL

Joe_Black
12/28/2004, 07:35 AM
Okay, counting stuff that isn't stock and the result of accidents isn't a fair evaluation of cost-of-ownership. My bought-new '01 Dragon just cleared 30K yesterday and my total maintenance costs over 2+ years of ownership has yet to approach $1000, even if I include the brand new set of Kumhos.

Just my $.02! ;Do;

Dallas4u
12/28/2004, 08:25 AM
Considering cost of ownership, I would actually consider costs of replacement parts and shop labor costs... I mean, real world value and all. If you find a good deal on a used Ferrari... say, $20k, then buy a VX brand new for $30k, but the Ferrari needs some engine and/or drivetrain work... you're already showing the VX a better buy in the costs department right there!!!!!

transio
12/28/2004, 08:37 AM
I consider scheduled service and oil changes necessary cost of maintenance. They account for $350.

I also consider the replacement of shot shocks, rusted out wheels and bald tires a necessary cost of maintenance of the vehicle. They account for $2000.

I consider the new muffler/exhaust, intake, interceptor, offroading wheels and hitch frivolous expenses. Nevertheless, they are an expense. They account for about $1150.

I consider accident repair a cost of ownership. While not "necessary" or "frivolous" the accidents that I've had are a direct result of the poor visibility of the VX, and I've never backed up into anything else in my prior 14 years of driving experience before owning the VX. I don't think this is a coincidence. I realize that the problem was that I was relying on the crappy backup sensors that failed to accurately identify the distance to the object behind me both times. So therefore I consider damage caused by a defect in the vehicle design an expense of ownership of that vehicle, since it would likely not happen with other vehicles.

transio
12/28/2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Okay, counting stuff that isn't stock and the result of accidents isn't a fair evaluation of cost-of-ownership. My bought-new '01 Dragon just cleared 30K yesterday and my total maintenance costs over 2+ years of ownership has yet to approach $1000, even if I include the brand new set of Kumhos. Just a note -

15k depreciation + 2000 interest + 1k maintenance = approx. $18000 total cost / approx. 27 months = $667/mo

That's still pretty darn expensive. and you're gonna have to replace your wheels and shocks soon!

Maugan_VX
12/28/2004, 10:35 AM
I dunno about the shocks,

I'm at 55k right now and my shocks are fine.

and I've put them through some "spirited" driving.

valenki
12/28/2004, 02:08 PM
you must be an accountant! I agree. I am trading in my Vehicross for a 2005 S60R SP

Heraclid
12/28/2004, 03:00 PM
I've had mine since April '03 and I'm sitting at a little over 67,000 miles. I figure I've spent $750 on necessary maintenance. This accounts for doing 4 oil changes, replacing the PCV, replacing the fuel filter, a tranny flush, new air filter (and I really didn't NEED the more expensive K&N I got either), servicing the differentials, washer fluid pump replacement, and wheel balance/rotation. I am also including the CD changer replacement, which I had a $100 deductible on. I don't count the things like mud tires that I wanted but didn't absolutely have to have, or things like a trashed alternator that was purely my own fault. Even with rallycrossing it, it has not needed a brake job, alignment, or shocks replacement. All in all, it averages out to about $37.50/month, and I probably spend that per month on the "make it look pretty" supplies. Not counting anything else done to it, my Avenger's $1100 tranny replacement alone makes the the VX cheap by comparison, although (generally) beating Chrysler/Dodge reliability isn't exactly a hard thing to do. Then again, the ES version I had was in fact mostly a Mitsubishi in Dodge sheetmetal. My wife's Caravans over the years have been superb, though.

transio
12/28/2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
I dunno about the shocks,

I'm at 55k right now and my shocks are fine.

and I've put them through some "spirited" driving. Lucky guy. I bought my VX with 25k miles, and the rears were shot dead - leaking oil. And I'm not the only one.

transio
12/28/2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by valenki
you must be an accountant LOL !!! Not quite, but I can see why you'd think that! ;) I'm actually the creative director of a marketing firm.

Nazrat
12/28/2004, 03:20 PM
In the 9,000 miles that I've driven mine so far, it has cost me $1.70/mile. That's not counting insurance (which I'd have to pay on any vehicle). That's assuming that I drive it into the river tomorrow and get $0 from it. If I sold it tomorrow for $10k, I'd have only spent $0.60/mile.

I track mileage for maintenance reasons, and it's easy enough to add the $s with the mileage notes.

My Trooper has been a cheaper 35,000 miles at only $.40/mile. That includes the cost of a replacement transmission.

-Tad

Chopper
12/28/2004, 04:06 PM
The Ferrari comparison is unfair, because unless you're an idiot, you know the Italian comes with 10,000 dollar brakes. My VX has cost nothing except for anal Mobil 1 lube changes, and probably overdone filter changes(Hell, I gotta do SOMETHING to it) Smiles per mile factor has been suitably high. The only casualty has been the garage screen I drove through... hardly the cars fault;Dp; ;Dp;

Dallas4u
12/29/2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by ruxpin
The Ferrari comparison is unfair, because unless you're an idiot, you know the Italian comes with 10,000 dollar brakes.

It was a comparison to show real world costs... I'm not an idiot and wouldn't compare apples to oranges in a true comparison for either car. Different makes and models are going to have prices all over the board for everything, including insurance... which is why I would include insurance in cost of ownership. Yeah, you're going to have to have insurance (by law, anyway) no matter what you drive, but those costs will go up or down depending on many factors. Since you have to have the insurance, and you ultimately choose the car AND the insurance, I'd include it. Having said this, my wife's Rodeo wasn't much cheaper than the VX insurance wise...

What I wouldn't actually include when considering cost of ownership are mods...

transio
12/29/2004, 07:44 AM
My VX has cost nothing except for anal Mobil 1 lube changes Freudian slip? ;) :p

transio
12/29/2004, 07:59 AM
The Ferrari comparison is unfair, because unless you're an idiot, you know the Italian comes with 10,000 dollar brakes. I just wanted to point out that Dallas used a $20,000 Ferrari in his comparison.

You might be able to get a beat up 308 for $20k. A 308 does not have $10k brake pads. More like $100. Even if you replace the entire brake system, I don't see you spending more than $4-5k on a 308.

The Enzo, on the other hand, has $20,000 brake pads IIRC. That's because it uses some space-age material and process to make them.

Just because they wear the same badge, you can't associate maintenance costs of a $20k car and a $650k car. Apples with apples after all, right?

thedutchguy
12/29/2004, 08:24 AM
Who'd want a Ferrari these day's when you have a vx?
Ferrari's are sooooooooooooo common!;Dy;

WormGod
01/03/2005, 07:52 AM
Ever owned? Does FUTURE owner count? ;)

I just got some news from my lawyer on the old VX accident I was in and there is a VERY substantial dollar value being negotiated with State Farm and MAIF currently. Let's just say, I went to the auto show this past week while on vacation and did some "window shopping" at the cars on the floor. I have to admit, the 2005 NSX looked VERY nice on that turn table. Also had a VERY nice Porsche 911 Carrera that ran $450k. I may need to flip a coin. :p

transio
01/03/2005, 08:07 AM
WormGod, What accident?

Dallas4u
01/03/2005, 08:39 AM
Wormgod... really? WOW!!!!!

Heraclid
01/03/2005, 02:32 PM
Don't care for Porsches and LOVE NSX's, but that's just me. :-)

driver3
01/03/2005, 03:44 PM
Mine's got 80K and the shocks are fine. Still hit hard on the bumps.. just like new. no "bouncing"... but I've done the regular maintinence (wheel bearings, transmission fluid, brakes, etc.. ) I know it's a little expensive for some of the maintinence but 1. I'm doing all of it myself and 2. it was an expensive car (for me). But I can tell you it runs like new at 80k+.. when it's paid off 14months from now I'm getting a little civic to commute with so I can make sure the VX is around for the rest of the time I need it. I bet mine makes the 250k mark.. that's the goal.. maybe 300k.. anyway I'm hoping with the mobil 1 regular changes I'll make the goal. :bgwb:

WormGod
01/04/2005, 08:17 AM
Accident years ago that involved a drunk driver hitting me head on. Almost 3 years ago to the day. It totalled a '00 Green VX. :(

Don't let that last post work it's exxaggeration into you, heh. When you grew up a po' boy like I did, ANY money is good money. And having my leg rebuilt from a car accident and dealing with the pain for the rest of my life, blood money and thankfulness that you are still here is a perk. ;)

Anyways, back onto the subject. Back in '91 I bought a banged up '78 Vette. 2 years of restoration (I used to do that sort of thing for a living at a restoration/customization shop) and it was ready to roll. I was only 20 at the time and I couldnt get insured for it. So, I ended up selling it. Not saying that was the most expensive car I ever owned, but it sure was the most immaculate, pretty one. If it looks and runs the same to this day (whoever owns it), I am sure it could sell for a pretty penny.