PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Accident Again

transio
12/27/2004, 08:19 AM
Christmas day, backed up into my neightbor's daughter's car, illegally parked in my condo parking lot. I was distracted getting into my car, loading gifts, etc. so I didn't notice the car before getting in. No rear visibility means i didn't see the car when backing up. I just backed up like I always do and then CRUNCH. Oh, and THEN my stupid backup sensors told me there was something there. (I ripped them out yesterday)

The worst part is that my neighbor's daughter gave me major attitude when she saw what i did to her car. Even though I offered to pay for the damage, she huffed and puffed and wouldn't even talk to me. Then yesterday, my neighbor was bitching at me some more. Some people are so negative it kills me. It's hard to maintain a smile sometimes.

Bantan
12/27/2004, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident.
Any damage to yourself or your VX?

Rooster
12/27/2004, 01:04 PM
Wow, next time she's illegally parked, have her car towed...

Sorry about the accident, thats why they're called "accidents"

transio
12/27/2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bantan
Any damage to yourself or your VX? Rear bumper cladding got smashed in on the left. I popped it out as much as I could (about 90%), but it's still got a little dent and scratch on it. I'm gonna try putting some heat to it and see if I can get it to pop out completely.

Interesting thing I noticed while I had it off the VX, though, was that there's almost enough space in the frame to get the mufflers through in the rear to have them come out where the reflectors are right now in the rear. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get a pipe through there!!!

Also, I now have my hitch kit from Tone... I'll have to slap that baby on some day soon.

Rooster
12/27/2004, 01:13 PM
That hitch will protect your cladding for the next time you play demolition derby...

;Db;

transio
12/27/2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Rooster
Wow, next time she's illegally parked, have her car towed... I was thinking the same thing, but sometimes my friends illegally park, too, when I'm having a party or whatever. I'd rather not start a feud over this. I have accepted liability for my mistake. I just wish she wouldn't be such a bitch about it. You know what really gets my goat is that my neighbor has had friends and relatives over who've parked in my extra spot, next to my car, and have actually dinged my car (the S2000), and not told me about it. I guess it's to be expected of their type (you know, the "entitled victim" mentality).

Rooster
12/27/2004, 01:52 PM
yeah, it des suck. But make good on your promise and move on and all that...

mrtew
12/27/2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by transio
Interesting thing I noticed while I had it off the VX, though, was that there's almost enough space in the frame to get the mufflers through in the rear to have them come out where the reflectors are right now in the rear. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get a pipe through there!!!

You'll melt your bumper don't you think?

transio
12/28/2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by mrtew
You'll melt your bumper don't you think? I'll insulate. :) And even if it melts it... the bumper's kinda beat up already, so it's worth testing out! :D

Dallas4u
12/28/2004, 08:29 AM
Man... I thought about doing this before. How cool would THAT look! Maybe if you could have some metal rings custom fab'd to sit around the diameter of the circular cut-out, it could help save the plastic a bit... if the holes are large enough.

I also thought it could look cool, if there was enough room, to run the tail pipe out the side of the VX, through a hole in the cladding there, or maybe just in front of the rear tire... a dual setup like this would be cool but probably impossible.

crager34
12/28/2004, 09:03 AM
One of the supporters here, has on his signature... something like... What is cool about this car is it's stock design. Except for the no cup holder thing... poor rear view visability, design defect on the power window... s**t... change the exhaust.... It would look cool. (wink)

Maugan_VX
12/28/2004, 10:30 AM
IMHO, the pipes through the bumper don't look right unless you have duals, even then it would look awkward. The X5 has the duals, and I always notice soot all around the tailpipe opennings. If you can keep it clean, then go for it, otherwise it looks like the ***-end of a smokestack.

On the parked illegally thing, same thing happened to an old roommate of mine in an apartment complex. He wasn't paying attention, and a saturn was parked behind him in a yellow curb zone in front of a fire hydrant. Somehow he got out of it without paying any damages because the car was not in a valid parking area or something or other. Can't remember how he did it, but it might be worth looking into, especially since the woman was such a bitch about your accident.

transio
12/28/2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
On the parked illegally thing, same thing happened to an old roommate of mine in an apartment complex. He wasn't paying attention, and a saturn was parked behind him in a yellow curb zone in front of a fire hydrant. Somehow he got out of it without paying any damages because the car was not in a valid parking area or something or other. Can't remember how he did it, but it might be worth looking into, especially since the woman was such a bitch about your accident. Spoke to my lawyer about it and he said that unless the vehicle was parked such that an accident was unavoidable (e.g. in the middle of a highway where you couldn't see it), the liability is mine. Also, I don't want to cause problems with my neighbor. I'm trying to get them to agree to updating the outside of the building (I'm gonna sell my place soon) and I guess this will grease the pipes a bit. The quote came to $750 - so I look at it as a $750 investment to get $10,000 more for my place when I sell it. :)

Chopper
12/28/2004, 04:44 PM
Always back into slotted parking, pull through in the double slots, like at Wally world. One habit that saves much grief.

MZ-N10
12/28/2004, 11:45 PM
tat sucks man.....should get a back up camera thing or van eyes...its well worth the price
________
Child depakote (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/29/2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by transio
1) I just backed up like I always do and then CRUNCH. Oh, and THEN my stupid backup sensors told me there was something there. (I ripped them out yesterday)

2) The worst part is that my neighbor's daughter gave me major attitude when she saw what i did to her car.

On the first part......maybe these would make better airbag sensors instead of backup sensors...lol. :p

On the second part.....is she good looking:?:

transio
12/29/2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by ruxpin
Always back into slotted parking, pull through in the double slots, like at Wally world. One habit that saves much grief. This happened at my home. We only have slotted parking. The other car was not parked in a designated spot.

transio
12/29/2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
On the first part......maybe these would make better airbag sensors instead of backup sensors...lol. :p They made good pressure sensors when I tore them off and rolled my VX over them :p

On the second part.....is she good looking:?: No, but her 18 year old daughter is!!! ;) :p