PDA

View Full Version : Should I ask to be banned?!

coachreed
12/24/2004, 06:18 AM
I'm just wondering if I should somehow self-ban myself for the next week... I am shipping my son off to Las Vegas for the next week to spend the holidays with his mom and her family... I have lots of parts and much collected info to get lots done on the motor swap over the next week. I don't want/need any more excuses or distractions to keep my from working... soooo... what can I do to keep focused? Its bad enough that I'm gonna have to fight the cold in the garage (even with the thing heated)... its sooooo much nicer feeling here in the house! OK... so if you have the authority, maybe you should ban me for the next week! Or mabe y'all can keep my honest and drop me a line every now and then to make sure I'm working (816-935-4986)! lol TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery... (http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000)

t2p
12/24/2004, 07:58 AM
You will NOT get any help from me. I say sit back, watch football and eat pizza.
I still have memories ..... bad memories ...... because I always seemed to get sick as a you-know-what just about anytime I worked on a car during the winter in a cold garage ....
One time back in the mid 70's when we (three kids) yanked a six cylinder 3spd out of a 65 Ford Galaxy and replaced it with a 352 4spd. We did this during the winter - outside temps in the 20's. We had one of those 'torpedo' heaters going - but it did not matter. I was sick for the next two weeks.
Ditto with another time (late 70's) when I helped friend put a set of ladder bars on a 69 GTO. Again during the winter. It took us 4 or 6 hours to install the ladder bars. It took me over a week to recuperate.
And I like the winter ! I have been a snowmobiler for years and will snowmobile all day long when the high temps are in the single digits .............. ??? ........ go figure.

volume311
12/24/2004, 11:05 AM
This swap is goin on what, about a year now? GET TO WORK!!!!!
;pg;

coachreed
12/24/2004, 11:19 AM
Well... I assume by the fact that I am posting this, I haven't been banned yet! Damn! I just got home from the airport... dropping mini-me (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406newbike-med.jpg) off at airport... now to get into some nice, DIRTY, warm cloths to hit the garage... I think! Yeah, the swap was forced on me almost a year ago, but the swap didn't start until a little later. I spun the rod bearing a couple days before Christmas but didn't pick the new motor up until sometime late in January... and please remember, I spent 2-3 months laid up with the blown out knee... ok, ok... no more excuses... I'm outta here! Wish me luck!

coachreed
12/24/2004, 11:46 AM
Crap... another hurdle to clear... I have the last combination of stock LS1 accessory brackets sitting in my hands right now... the F-body alternator location won't work, nor will an LS1 truck alternator and power steering location... I have moved along to the Corvette brackets. They fit better than ANY of the others by a long shot but there is still a SLIGHT clearance problem... I know... surprise! Anyway, looks like I either get some kind of custom brackets made or I think I'm gonna clearance my inner fender well on the drivers side... I'll post pics in a bit. Soooo... I made it 20 minutes... this means I'll probably be back again in another 20 minutes! Later!

Coach

Jonnie
12/24/2004, 01:21 PM
Coach,

If I had the time off, I would come and help but I don't, good luck!!

Jonathan

coachreed
12/24/2004, 01:36 PM
OK, made it quite a bit longer that time. Its kinda cold in the garage. I'm due to thaw out. I have the alternator, power steering pump, and bracket bolted on the motor. I had to cut a chunk out of the inner fender well to clear the alternator. I will pull things back off before its over with and weld a patch in place to close the fender well back up. You can check out that bit o' progress in this (http://community.webshots.com/album/191752107yFwOiy) webshots gallery of mine. The last two pics show what I had to do. I will need to reroute a couple power steering lines to clear the pump pulley.

Can anyone confirm which line on the power steering box is the pressure side from the pump and which one is the return to the reservoir? If your standing in front of the truck, the two lines viewed from the top, it looks like the one towards the drivers side, rear is the return to reservoir, and the forward, passenger side line would be the pressure line... which is actually a long steel line that I think is supposed to act as a cooler... running along the lower part of the radiator, going across the truck and back before going from the pump to the box. Again... anyone confirm that? I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by Jonnie
Coach,

If I had the time off, I would come and help but I don't, good luck!!

Jonathan

Jonnie-
Thanks for the offer... or thought I guess... maybe if I still lived down in Sarasota, you'd have time to come wrench.

I guess I should consider cleaning the crap off of me and get ready to head to the family get-together... don't wanna come off as a thoughtless, anti-social GRINCH! Although, I am! I'll check back in later tonight...

Later!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery... (http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000)

Newports
12/24/2004, 05:18 PM
dude, i stuck an LT4 in a 69 F body, i would love to get under the hood and check out what ur doing to that vx, i saw the pics in ur gallery, i wanted to ask what kind of tranny your mating the ls1 to? please tell me T56, please please please...

coachreed
12/24/2004, 05:33 PM
As much as I'd love to own another T-56 vehicle, I don't know that it was be feasible. It was hard enough to adapt the 4L60E to my drivetrain and vehicle... and there are plenty of 4x4's with this tranny... not that I did HUGE amounts of research on doing the T-56... just seemed more usable IMO... soooo... sorry, I can't tell you I'm doing the T-56... unless you want me to lie to ya! Now, I gotta go back to the garage. I'll check back later on tonight... See ya!

Newports
12/25/2004, 09:21 AM
ahhh, so your using the 4L60e to.... err i had to use one, and its ok, but i'd rather have the T56 - anywho, i wanna see what ur doing attach a webcam or something lol, ill be honest and say i cant believe it fit... now get some headers and valve covers on... lol, i hope ur gonna turn it into an LS6.... Z06 VX, i love the way it sounds

Triathlete
12/25/2004, 03:05 PM
"Ged'er done"
I want to see that bad boy in Moab!;Dy;

coachreed
12/25/2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Newports
blah blah blah... i wanna see what ur doing attach a webcam or something lol, ill be honest and say i cant believe it fit... blah blah blah

I had actually thought about a webcam down there but I would need a LONG arse USB extension cord to get there... only about 15 or so feet from where I sit... but would have to go quite a bit further if I didn't want to CHOP a hole in the bathroom floor! lol Yeah, it is a tight fit... even after seeing it first hand, it is sometimes hard to believe myself. I assume you've checked out the pictures in the Webshots Gallery of mine... The picture I REALLY wanna take will be of the hood on and CLOSED! I have thought about putting the hood back on but it would be much harder to work on... sooooo... off it stays.

Triathlete-
IF your in Moab this year for the Zuzoo... you will DEFINITELY be seeing it. I can't wait!

Newports
12/25/2004, 06:28 PM
it runs?

coachreed
12/25/2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Newports
it runs?

No... not yet, but everything that COULD have stopped me has been whipped... only things left are no-brainers like PCM wiring, driveshaft length adjustments, fuel line plumbing and exhaust. And like I said from the start, since some said I was crazy, insane or stupid for trying this, I WILL make this work! lol

Later!

Coach

Maverick
12/27/2004, 06:21 AM
see that?? if you hadnt moved id shoot over and give you a hand, ive found myself with some unexpected time off from work... (not enough for another road trip though, i just got back from Virginia..)

years back i helped a freind "upgrade" his mid 70's f-body from a 305 to a 350, outside in the street , in front of his apartment complex.. wed work 15 minutes at a time, as it was so cold, you couldnt move your hands after only a few minutes..wed go in, warm up and go at it again..took us three days in the snow and miserably cold weather, but in the end it was a beast! wed of killed for a garage though, even an unheated one!

well, ive got my own projects to get cracking on.. but its a bit warmer here :D

coachreed
12/27/2004, 06:33 PM
Maverick-
Its the thought that counts... and I'm sure you'd show up IF I was still in Sunny SW FL... thanks for the thought... however, the Kansas City, MO area is ONLY half way across the country... its not really much of a roadtrip! lol Sounds like a fun way to do a swap... snow and all... at least the swap isn't as drastic as this dang thing... then again, you'd be forced to wait for fabrication and whatnot... which would give you PLENTY of time to warm up! So which Porsche is your project? I have a nice little Porsche hybrid hanging in the wings at my place... actually a nice little VW Super Beetle... with a little Porsche motor and other Porsche junk... wheels, brakes, and who knows what else. Anyway... if ANYONE wants to help out and be a part of this AWSOME adventure... please feel free to drop by. ;pb;

Later!

Maverick
12/28/2004, 07:57 AM
lol, their porsche's theyre both always projects ;Dy; currently im replacing the interior on the 928. picked it up cheap with a blown head gasket and and an interior so bad it would bring tears the eye, but not for long. when im done with that, ill replace the head gaskets and do a front end service on it.Other than that, its in surprisingly good shape. initially i bought it to part out, but found it was in far to good of shape (besides the above) to sacrifice. It became a second project, very much unitentionally.. the 924 turbo will go through a complete restoration, including a rare gt body kit, which is currently out having some custom fabrication done to it. engine will be rebuilt, new turbo installed, the whole nine yards.. plenty to do, motivation is the hard part though..ive got most of the parts here, just got to get them installed...