PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest 4X4

BritVX
12/23/2004, 12:33 AM
Check out the Toyota concept at the address below. It must win the ugliest 4X4.

Col

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser.asp

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser2.jpg

thebear54
12/23/2004, 04:13 AM
Not only UGLY...but "Butt" ugly!
All that needs are some tank treads to make the picture complete;eekr;
What are they thinking...but I'm sure if they build it, someone will buy it:p I think I'll just keep my VX...Thank you very much!
John

V-Twin hiCROSS
12/23/2004, 05:50 AM
It looks kind of like a cross between a Hummer and an Element to me. The interior looks wicked cool though!

t2p
12/23/2004, 05:57 AM
I'm on the other side of the fence .....
I like it .......
probably because I like the original Toyota FJ's ........

BritVX
12/23/2004, 06:28 AM
Considering t2p's comment I've had another look but I still can't see anything redeeming about it. It's like someones gone out of their way to make it ugly, even the color but I would like a set of the tyres!

Col

Newports
12/23/2004, 06:34 AM
yeah, i like it aswell, i am a fan of old school toyoa FJ Land Cruisers, and i must say it is really cool.

Hanalei
12/23/2004, 06:48 AM
I like it, it's different, just like the VX, an attention getter. In a world of generic vehicles where everyone looks the same, I'm all for standing out, which is why I love my VX so much.

Yes, definitely different and it would sure grab my attention.

Joe_Black
12/23/2004, 07:09 AM
Ugly?!?! More like gorgeous! The only sad thing about that new FJ is that if it's produced there'll be a gajillion of them on the road. As a VX owner you become painfully aware of your uniqueness when drawn to another vehicle. Nips the buying-bug in the bud pretty quick! ;Do;

CSTYLES
12/23/2004, 07:26 AM
saw this one at the car show last year
i agree w/ t2p, i love the retro style.
the styling cues immediatly remind you of the old toyota fjs and land cruisers

spaceCADETzoom
12/23/2004, 07:27 AM
it's an offroad vehicle...

i don't think it's ugly.

i don't find jeeps ugly either. maybe if i were concerned with trips to the mall alone...

i think h2's are ugly.

Dallas4u
12/23/2004, 07:48 AM
I agree... I've loved it since the first day I saw it!

coachreed
12/23/2004, 09:01 PM
I gotta say... I LOVE IT! I've liked it since the first time I saw it... unfortunately, rarely (IF EVER) do we see a concept go to production with any similarity... shame... I'd buy one!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery... (http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000)

mrtew
12/23/2004, 09:30 PM
I remember seeing the VX at the autoshow before it came out and thought it was the ugliest freakiest thing I'd ever laid eyes on and now I think it's the coolest vehicle in the world. So you never know how designs will look to you after a year or two. I don't like the Toyota at all though at this point.

kpaske
12/23/2004, 10:19 PM
It is kind of ugly, in a rugged sort of way, especially in that color, but overall, I think it's pretty bada$$. It's got a lot of the utility aspects that I look for in an SUV, has a supercharged v6, and lots of cargo room. If it ever goes to production, I bet it would be popular as a sporty alternative to the H2.

JoFotoz
12/23/2004, 10:45 PM
....but if ya want really cool NEW off roadie fun.

http://www.google.com/images?as_q=Concept&svnum=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Bronco&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

I'd trade my 73 Bronco for one of these....plus some cash of course..I aint gonna give it away!

Jo

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/24/2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by t2p
I'm on the other side of the fence .....
I like it .......
probably because I like the original Toyota FJ's ........

I'm with you...my dad had one of these when I was a little one and I can't help but feel nostalgic...

My Dad's had a chevy V-6 in it so we called it a "Chevota" lol.

mrtew
12/24/2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
My Dad's had a chevy V-6 in it so we called it a "Chevota" lol.

I think the correct name is Toyolet. :-]

t2p
12/24/2004, 08:17 AM
I really hope Ford introduces that Bronco. Sometimes I feel it could be more successful than the 'new' Mustang.
The market is now so saturated with 3 inch ground clearance SUV's ......

marximus
12/24/2004, 04:10 PM
dont like it...
what is with all the new cars becoming boxier? i like the VX because of its curves...

Newports
12/24/2004, 05:12 PM
boxy is roomier, kinda like the H2, Element, Scion, and since its an SUV, aerodynamics dont play such a big role in my opinion, the only thing about the bronco that would kill it is if they put a V6 in it, a truck like that deserves a small block V8, and lets not compare the Vx to any of these concepts as it is a way better vehicle and is yet a one of a kind...

MZ-N10
12/24/2004, 09:16 PM
kinda funny how alot of u called it ugly just cause its out of the ordinary.
________
Laguna Bay Condos Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Chopper
12/25/2004, 03:33 PM
My FJ was just about that blue(no shine) Loved my old one, but I don't beleive they could sell me the new one. It is all about the curves, isn't it?

rocket man
12/29/2004, 01:43 AM
That's a pretty bad design;puke: I had a 69 FJ40 that I owned from 1972 to 1989. It became my project car..and I loved her...this design, this retro stuff is a fad...you'll see...why not put on fender skirts, lake pipes, mud flaps and a coon tail on the antenna while your at it. A couple of bobble heads on the rear window tray would be cool too. :confused: There are classic car designs out there but this will never EVER be one them

My vote for top 5 designs (not necessarily in order)

1956 Gull Wing MB
1969 Camaro
1962 Jaguar XKE
1988 Lamborghini Countash
H1

honerable mention to:

The stingray
Early Bronco
GT 40

My list list for Forgettable car designs is vast...but some are:
early Studebaker
late Studebaker
Avanti
Element
VW bus
Aztec
Edsel
H2
and this new FJ Toy

Dallas4u
12/29/2004, 07:41 AM
Hey... I actually LIKE the Avanti design!!! :)

Numba1goalie
06/19/2005, 10:28 PM
Looks like they designed it using lego's

BritVX
06/20/2005, 04:30 AM
Seeing as this thread has resurfaced anyone else think the Bronco concept looks suspiciosly like a Landrover Defender or the new Discovery? I wonder if this has anything to do with Ford owning the lot?

Col

mrtew
06/20/2005, 03:38 PM
kinda funny how alot of u called it ugly just cause its out of the ordinary.

I think they are calling it ugly because of the ugliness, not the unordinariness. People here LOVE vehicles out of the ordinary... that's why we're even talking about it.

pbkid
07/05/2005, 07:08 PM
i think its awesome. looks like it would romp some ground off road. i would buy it, but knowing toyota it will probably cost like 40k. =)

VehiGAZ
07/06/2005, 06:27 AM
Base price is supposed to be under $20k, actually. Toyota doesn't sell anything for $40k (but Lexus will be happy to oblige... ;-)

I like it, but I'm AMAZED that so many VXers are hating it - it's a cool-looking, two-door, off-road-capable sport-ute. There's only one other Vehi-cle you can say the same about...

WyrreJ
07/06/2005, 08:54 AM
It is just so ... square ... which is really the anithesis of vx design.

Raque Thomas
07/06/2005, 11:27 AM
Base price is supposed to be under $20k, actually. Toyota doesn't sell anything for $40k (but Lexus will be happy to oblige... ;-)

Don't they still make the Land Cruiser? And the Supra? I would think one could also equip an Avalon into that price range....but back to the subject, I love the concept...let's just hope it looks recognizable once it gets to production. If it's "only" going to be a $20,000 vehicle, it won't look much like the prototype!

VehiGAZ
07/06/2005, 12:43 PM
I love the internet... what question CAN'T you answer in 3 minutes?!?

So you got me on the Land Cruiser (base price $55,815). You can probably option up a Sequoia to $40k, and the Avalon Limited starts at about $33,500, so that one could be stretched with nav and DSC to ring the $40k mark. But the Supra, may it rest in peace, has been dead for several years now. :-(

Here's a link to Toyota's website listing all of their products (so you can check my facts and figures if you want):

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/modelselector/index.html

Here's one to Car & Driver's short-take on it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=9286&page_number=1

So by C/D's report and the specs, I would guess that a fully-optioned 4WD version will end up running somewhere around $28k off the lot. You get a LOT of bang for that buck, though. A oh-so-important limited-slip differential, more engine, more towing, and more advanced electronics than the VX (and with the benefits of mass-production), but with an Xterra-like interior (no leather two-toned Recaros for FJ buyers!!) for a lot less money than the VX was, especially in adjusted dollars. It will appeal to a lot of buyers, I am sure.

TDAWG
07/06/2005, 01:44 PM
is it me or does it seems like all those concepts wanna be hummers? :laughy:

Chopper
07/06/2005, 05:02 PM
Drove a baby blue FJ from 85 to 88. Loved it, like the new one...wish they, would make it a little lighter/smaller

GOVEHIX
07/06/2005, 11:32 PM
i don't know why, it just sorta gave me a feeling this is a super sized mini cooper!!

Reg Hinnant
07/07/2005, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately my VX wont last forever and looking for a short wheelbase 4WD limits your choices.
This Toyota may be an answer to the SWB 4WD problem if they dont jack the price sky high on the 4WD model.
I'm sure it will be capable off road.
The VX experiance has truly been like owning a custom vehicle. To this day, it still gets stares & questions.
That will be whats missing with the Toyota. :(

Todd Adams
07/07/2005, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately my VX wont last forever and looking for a short wheelbase 4WD limits your choices.
This Toyota may be an answer to the SWB 4WD problem if they dont jack the price sky high on the 4WD model.
I'm sure it will be capable off road.
The VX experiance has truly been like owning a custom vehicle. To this day, it still gets stares & questions.
That will be whats missing with the Toyota. :(
What I look for in a short wheelbased 4x4 is the upgradeability prospects. I need a vehicle that I can modify to easily do 4 rated trails. (We have the Comp rig for the hard core stuff) My VX is there now but like Reg I am thinking of a replacement. Being an old LC guy (I have owned 2) I will have to look at the new Cruiser. In a couple of years you may catch Reg and I on the Cruiser forum.
Todd

Chopper
07/09/2005, 09:45 AM
If only they offered it with the loose, flappy, leaky, canvas lid option.

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/08/2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/

CoastieCosta567
04/09/2007, 09:29 AM
i love that thing, they use it for the baja 1000 now, and its doing an amazing a** job. I LOVE wired Looking SUV's, i really like also the subaru B9, or whatever iots called, i forget.

BritVX
04/10/2007, 05:50 AM
Amazing I started this thread months ago,just shows what an interesting car it is. Originally when I saw concept photos I did think it was ugly but I've since seen the light, having seen a few in the flesh when I was in the US, infact if they sold them in the UK I'd buy one.

Col

mrtew
04/10/2007, 06:48 AM
Amazing I started this thread months ago,just shows what an interesting car it is. Originally when I saw concept photos I did think it was ugly but I've since seen the light, having seen a few in the flesh when I was in the US, infact if they sold them in the UK I'd buy one.Col

I thought it was the ugliest SUV when I first saw it, but after I parked my VehiCROSS next to it my opinion changed completely. Now I think it's the Ugliest Minivan. It's sooooo huge and dumpy and blocky and boxy compared to our trucks it looks like a joke.... go down to the dealer and park next to one... I insist. Or pull up next to one in traffic. They get that same Jeep Liberty, "Doh, I thought the salesguy said this wass the coolest truck", look on their faces!

BritVX
04/10/2007, 08:59 AM
I think it's Dumpy, Ugly look is part of it's charm it can't really compare to the VX as the VX is futuristic whilst the Toyota is most definately retro. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't sell my VX for one. Nothing beats the look on peoples faces when they see the VX, so many people think it's something new (mines 10yrs old). Col

tbigity
04/10/2007, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I still must disagree. While it took a while for our market to get saturated here in Tulsa as it did early on in bigger cities (as most of you predicted it would)...I still cannot pass one (has to be yellow) without saying "Man that is godo looking". They are proven to be decent off-pavement and have a uniqueness (design only) that si comparable to teh VX. I would hate to think that simply because something has become mainstream it would turn people off of it. If you like it, you like it. Who cares if you see them around town, or if you see a "soccer mom" driving one...don't let that influence your preferences. They are beefy, just teh right size, plenty powerful, and a nice mix of retro/modern which seems to be the new kid on the vehicle design block.

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2007, 11:28 AM
i just remembered that when the VX first came out, alot of poeple said they hated it, and thought it was ugly, in fact it was put as 1 of the uglyest vehicals ever made, but that was cuz it was diffrent and u all know this that most people or the majority will think the same as everybody else and not really show there true openion. but after the VX satrted sharing its Future look to the rest of the world and the world has cought up to it's looks or have gotten really close, people have gone to accept it and fall in love with it. All i'm saying is that art is in the mind of those who see the world past of it's time, and same goes for vehicals, they are art. if u compare to now adays, then yeah it will be ugly, but if u see it past that, how beautiful or cool something is with out having to worry what others have to say ur opeion will change , same goes with women, if u see how a beautiful babe will dress or look 10 years from now we will be like what the Heck, just like how people always talk about the past of people looks. anyways, i guess u guys get my point of view. The Fj is just a vehical going to its own path, with no1 to fallow it yet, wait a few more years and many others will take that same rout> the VX is a perfect example of what many vehicals in the future or now will take. :p

rocket man
04/10/2007, 12:10 PM
GAWD! I hope that is not what the future of new cars will look like.....

If I was a car and had a rough nite of guzzling cheap gas and woke up the next morning with that FJ sleeping next to me I think I'd have to chew off my tire to get away!!!! ;eeky;

VX4EJR
04/10/2007, 12:25 PM
If I was a car and had a rough nite of guzzling cheap gas and woke up the next morning with that FJ sleeping next to me I think I'd have to chew off my tire to get away!!!! ;eeky;

Ahhhh yes.....reminds me of college....minus the gas and tire thing though.

:p

tbigity
04/11/2007, 11:14 AM
lol rocket.

To costie. I think you are on to something, just a couple years late. While that particular look may not be the future of cars, I think that CONCEPT is, and has been for a while. I am not sure if it stems from a lack of good designers, so inept they can't come up with their own designs, or if it is the opposite - genius designers realizing the perfection of things past and drawing on that in modern designs. Anywho, the concept I refer to is using retro styling in new models. One of the first cars I can think of to do this was the Escalade...once they got on their own chasis and off of the tahoe chassis. They had a very retro caddy interior, the big, overstated, round analog gauges and gear-like bezels. Soon after, the idea transferred itself to the exterior of cars. Many sportscars are doing it: charger, mustang, thunderbird, new camaros, ssr, hhr, pt cruiser. While I don't particularly like all of these, they all have very distinguishable retro features.

This is why I disagree with those saying the FJ is a "new" look in cars...while it may be the first time that the retro styling was applied to a body so large, it is technically old hat.

I just plain like 'em! ;)

rocket man
04/11/2007, 11:39 AM
Rodger that TBIGITY

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", someone once said,

Heck if we all had the same taste in women we'd all be fighting over the same lady :p

Anyway when all is said and done we both agree on the VX.

John