PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering

Apostle
12/19/2004, 06:39 AM
steering?
stearing?

anyhoo, you know what i mean

at speeds above 80, the steering wheel has alot of play in it. at least 2 inches to either side.

what can be done to tighten this?

when i turn the wheel i want the wheels to turn, and vice versa

no, i havent done a search yet, its too early in the morning.

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2004, 01:36 PM
There was a write up either here or on vmag. Don't know if it applies to conditions that occur at speeds above 80 . May be worn stg. components?

transio
12/19/2004, 02:52 PM
I hit a speedbump cluster at high speed a few months back and rattled my steering loose a bit. It's only about 1/16" of play, and hardly noticeable at all, but shakes a little when i hit bumps. Fixable? Should I bother?

Maugan_VX
12/19/2004, 04:59 PM
*DISCLAIMER* I haven't even looked at the steering box on the VX, but I'm assuming its the recirculating ball setup we have on the troopers.

If you look down at the power steering box, you'll see 4 bolts with a flathead screwhead and nut in the middle of those 4 bolts.

Its helpful to hit the whole thing with some PB Blaster about a day before you try this. Get a flat head screw driver and hold that center screw in place while you break the nut free. It wont be easy more than likely.

Once the nut is free, turn the screw clockwise to tighten up the steering play. Use SMALL adjustments, less than 1/4 turns, it wont take much.

Once you have it where you need it, tighten the lock nut down again. Probably wouldn't hurt to use some mild (blue) thread locker on it to hold it in place.

Again these instructions are based on the steering box in the troopers. If it isn't the same then I'm sorry.

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by transio
I hit a speedbump cluster at high speed a few months back and rattled my steering loose a bit. It's only about 1/16" of play, and hardly noticeable at all, but shakes a little when i hit bumps. Fixable? Should I bother?

Where are you finding the 1/16th of play? You might've lost a shim or loosened a sleeve. It should be checked if it's not like it was prior to the speedbumps.

As suggested by another member I purchased the Firestone lifetime alignment for $100+