PDA

View Full Version : rear speakers

Amack76
12/18/2004, 02:20 PM
ok no bs please. can someone who has actually installed and replaced the rear speakers please tell me what size will fit there, and the steps to remove the back panel.

SPAZZ
12/18/2004, 02:47 PM
the rear spekers are like 4 inches...serious. If you remove the metal plate and plastic adapter you can fit 6x9's.
or do like I did and just cut holes for 12's and insulate whole inside and out with Dynamt extreme;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp;

coachreed
12/18/2004, 03:22 PM
Like Spazz said, they are something like 4" speakers (some metric variation from standard)... to squeeze even a pair of 5¼" speakers requires that you cut the speaker mounting brackets AND some of the sheet metal behind the speaker. Otherwise, you are stuck with some very little speakers... then again, rear-fill is best anyway... don't need a ton of sound from the rear stage to sound good. Good Luck!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery... (http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000)

kpaske
12/18/2004, 06:51 PM
SPAZZ -

You mounted 12's in the rear seat side panels? How the heck did you manage that?

Triathlete
12/18/2004, 06:55 PM
Check Spazz's gallery and I believe you will find some pics!

Francesco Rizzo
12/18/2004, 08:39 PM
I just tried to change them, and they are 4 inch, with 5.25 in the front. These lil brats are a b|tch to get to and tough to find a good pair of 4 inch speakers for less then 80 bucks. Pioneer makes a set but are kinda week compaired to the sony's 5.25's. The thing is that for mids and highs, a 4 inch with good tweeters work great. I had a problem as the box I keep in the back for the bass drowned out the stock speakers and all you hear is the beet when you sit in the back. I went to wallmart, grabbed a set of tweeters for 20 bucks, and installed with a 2.5 inch drill bit... I think.. anyway, it solved the problem and looks like this:
http://www.geocities.com/bugging75/PICT0361.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/bugging75/PICT0359.JPG

CrzyFool
01/03/2005, 08:15 PM
I have 6x9's in the back there . . . they fit with some minor modification. :-)

crager34
01/04/2005, 02:58 PM
Circuit City just told me a couple days ago all 4 speakers are 5 1/4".

AlaskaVX
01/04/2005, 03:06 PM
We have 4" speakers in the back and 5-1/4 up front

coachreed
01/04/2005, 05:59 PM

That, my friend, is why I call those clowns, "Circus City"... how would one expect that a 4" speaker is a 5¼" speaker? There is a distinct difference. The measurement is of the actual cone diameter at the outer edge of the surround (flexible part of the cone)... the rears measure an even 4" and the fronts measure a touch over 5"... With a little care, you can easily put a nice pair of 6½" speakers up front without any cutting, and with a slight amount of trimming, you can upgrade to 5¼" in the rear. I have Alpine TypeR Component 6½" up front with the tweeter mounted behind the stock tweeter panel up front on the door, and I am running Alpine TypeR 5¼" Components in the rear... If your not familiar with the physical build of TypeR speakers, they are VERY large in comparison to most comparable speakers. I would post pics of the stock speakers but can't figure out how to upload to my gallery or attach to this thread... maybe something has changed with the new board. Anyway... hope that answers some questions.

TDAWG
01/04/2005, 10:10 PM
Maybe I'm the only one but when I changed my front speakers they were 6 1/2. Who ever owned my VX before me had already done the change over to 5 1/4's. To my surprise it was done very good. once it gets warmer here in RI I'll post some pics since I well be changing them from kenwoods to sonys.

Maugan_VX
01/05/2005, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure what personal experience you've had with sony's but every friends' car thats had sony's has sounded horrible.

IMHO Kenwoods are higher quality.

Dallas4u
01/05/2005, 07:43 AM
I know the reasoning behind people wanting rear speakers... needing more volume and, possibly, more separation of midbass and treble from the rear. I can tell you this... if you have a nice, quality front audio setup, tuned and facing the driver as much as possible, there really is no need for rear speakers (other than maybe a sub for extra bass, if you wanna!). In a perfect world, you would be able to aim the front mids and tweets how ever you wanted... finally aiming them in a spot that would sound great to front and rear passengers. In the stock setup you can get pretty close and still not need to mod the rear speaker brackets or frame for a larger speaker setup. I know... I effed up the brackets originally by putting in 5.25" speakers, then 6x9's... I thought I had blown them (Infinity Reference) and left them in for a long time... finally removing them, improving the quality of my front setup, and it made a HUGE difference!

TDAWG
01/05/2005, 12:13 PM
I have yet to have any problems with Sony Xpolds. But the kenwoods that are in the rear must have been made in the early 90 cuz they a made of paper.

james1_10018
01/05/2005, 01:02 PM
By the way guys I think the stock speaker work the best (They are clarions by the way)
I changed the front to Audiobahns 6.5 and I have to say the Audiobahn sound horrible . In my opinion get a better 5.25 and add a sub (my 2 cents)

psychos2
01/05/2005, 02:33 PM
By the way guys I think the stock speaker work the best (They are clarions by the way)
I changed the front to Audiobahns 6.5 and I have to say the Audiobahn sound horrible . In my opinion get a better 5.25 and add a sub (my 2 cents)

james, if you want some really good speakers for the front try some MB QUART's . in my opinion they are some of the best sounding speakers out there.did you get the sub installed yet? shawn

kpaske
01/05/2005, 05:56 PM
I've got an old school Orion setup in mine - HCCA 6-1/2" Separates in the front and 2 XTR Pro subs in the back. I personally have always loved the sound of the classic Orion amps and drivers. Stay away from the new stuff though - they suck. You can still buy a lot of brand new Orion equipment off eBay, and IMO they sound better than just about anything else out there.

Navigator
01/06/2005, 05:59 AM

The individual was either lying, or seriously mistaken. The difference is a full inch and a quarter, by no means the same.

I can tell you, that with modification you can fit 5 1/4 speakers in the rear. I have a picture in my galerry of the modified bracke with a 5 1/4 installed. You really only need to remove the panels in front of the jack to access the mid panel speaker mounts.

james1_10018
01/06/2005, 06:38 PM
Hey Shawn
The audiobahns sound like crap to be honest. I have heard of the MBs. I was considering those, Focals or Eclipse.
I have got the sub up yet (could you send me an email on how to cut the rear cover ?

Thx

James