PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts?

jayfotos
12/18/2004, 09:32 AM
Did a search and came up short.

When I was at the track last week and talking to all the tuner guys, most if not all replaced their motor mounts with stiffer polyurathane ones. From what I understand, it keeps the engine from "moving", adds HP and quicker responses.

Do we have that option for our VX? where can I get a set?

Thanks- Jay

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2004, 01:49 PM
I don't know if poly mounts are available, but you could have a machine shop set you up with solid mounts. An alternative would be to install an engine torque strap or chain on the side of the engine that lifts under load.

jayfotos
12/19/2004, 03:05 PM
Is having solid metal mounts good? I would think there should be some "play" rather than metal to metal.

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2004, 10:06 PM
You just feel more vibration through the frame and may also experience some frame torque, but not likely with our power and weight. Rubber mounts are purely a compromise by the mfrs. to decrease felt vibration and torque. Solid mounts actually increase power transfer and if you go this route, you should do a solid trans mount as well, possibly a reinforcing solid trans mount to account for the mounting on aluminum case.

Now that you have me set up to open mouth; insert foot, perhaps another member with experience could chime in regarding solid mounts on an aluminum block and trans case and if the tapped hole should be enlarged/ helicoiled. or threadlocked or if the assemblies should be additionally strapped.