PDA

View Full Version : Tranny power mode

cascabel3
12/16/2004, 11:40 AM
I have been on and off with the power mode on the tranny. I wonder how often other Vxers use their power button.

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hand :o

Cyrk
12/16/2004, 11:51 AM
All the time it is ON!

cascabel3
12/16/2004, 11:54 AM
No surprise by the looks of your rig Cyrk! :thumbup:

VXMAN
12/16/2004, 01:03 PM
Always on here too!

:D
Dave...

Joe_Black
12/16/2004, 02:21 PM
On 100% in every auto-tranny Isuzu since 1984. ;Dr;

Heraclid
12/16/2004, 02:22 PM
Just about always on.

Ldub
12/16/2004, 06:16 PM
on...yeah, definitely on. runs better on...gotta watch Wapner now.

t2p
12/17/2004, 08:18 AM
Never on.
I feel the characteristics of the engine, trans ratios, and low gearing are complemented by the 'quick' shifts that take place when left in the normal ('Power Off ?) mode.
Plus, the trans is quick to downshift (and keep the engine in the 'sweet' spot) when in either mode.

morgan-tec
12/17/2004, 10:55 AM
I keep mine on all the time and i find that i get 30-40 more miles out of a tank of gas.

Ron Pfeiffer
12/19/2004, 05:04 AM
Power Mode turns off??? :D

I too found a mpg increase in power mode. Never run without it.

Ron

MachineVX
12/23/2004, 09:08 AM
I found with the supercharger under WOT, I'll hit the rev limiter between gear changes, so I tend to turn it off now . . .

t2p
12/23/2004, 10:23 AM
For anyone/everyone that likes to rev your VX .......
check out the power characteristics (chart) of the Isu 3.5 engine ....
*SCRATCH THAT* ..... I don't know what I was looking at ...... maybe the torque chart ......... the graph shows a linear horsepower increase ........ no abrubt 'sign-off' .........

joe-yamma
01/12/2005, 02:32 PM
the only time i turn off the power mode is extended highway runs. around the city, power mode is always on.

cascabel3
01/12/2005, 02:49 PM
City on, Freeway off is pretty much how I have been doing it. I will slap it in power mode knowing I'll be doing some fast passes though. I intend to drive VX for 3 tanks on Power mode only, then the same with it off to see about the mileage people have been reporting.

EVO
08/09/2013, 05:18 AM
Power mode on 24/7!! Never checked to see if there is a difference on mpg between on or off. Good to know some of you are getting better mileage on Power Mode!!! Thanks for sharing!

44ficus44
08/10/2013, 01:26 AM
gas costs too dam much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only use it in the sanddunes. whenever ima launch it up a hill BOOM!!! power time. other than that... it is forbidden

Cris
08/10/2013, 05:20 AM
1999 has been off a couple of times since i bought it yes one owner

VehiCrow
08/10/2013, 01:01 PM
As Clarkson from TOP GEAR would say "POWER!!!!"
Always on and ready to go.

RodL
08/12/2013, 03:00 PM
So an old thread brought back to life. Thanks. I have occasionally done a bit in the "power mode" but not a lot. Will see what happens over the next month.

Rod

VXobsession
08/25/2013, 09:32 PM
Always on....except when my Chihuahua steps on the button. It takes just a couple of minutes to realize it's off.

HeckaTrebeka
08/26/2013, 05:32 PM
Hmmmmm... I've never used power mode. I do mainly highway driving to/from work about 80 miles round trip... would it be wise to use power mode then?

AndyC
08/27/2013, 07:18 AM
If I remember correctly gas mileage didn't seem to differ to much in power mode - but when I was checking it was after I purchased it back in 02 :) It's always in Power :)

ALC1717
08/27/2013, 08:44 AM
After Reading The Members Power Mode Comments I Decided To Do Some Research. A Prominent Member We All Know E Mailed Me Back And Said He Did Not Think Leaving The Power Mode ON Would Increase The VX Gas Mileage. I Then Called Isuzu Of America And They Told Me It Would Actually Decrease The Gas MPG. Next I Called MERLIN From ST Charles Isuzu And He Strongly Recommended NOT Using The Power Mode Especially For Normal City Local Driving That it Would Definitely LOWER The Gas Mileage. He Said It Is Used For Aggressive Driving. So There You Have It Unfortunately I Cannot Speak From My Experience.

HeckaTrebeka
08/30/2013, 12:42 AM
So I started using the power mode and the only difference I notice is that the VX is quick to down shift when accelerating quicker, and the RPMs are 'allowed' to go higher. The only downside that I see to this is oil consumption. I've noticed that my oil consumption is more when driving more aggressively and at higher speeds which cause my RPMs to hold at or above 2700.

Y33TREKker
09/22/2013, 01:33 PM
Based on the thread title, for some reason I imagined this was going to be a Moab stoop party thread. :p

Anyway, I'll sometimes use Power mode for two lane highway passing, but for the most part I leave it off because I don't believe the higher engine revs and harsher shifting in Power mode do the VX engine and trans any favors as far as long term longevity.

Ldub
09/22/2013, 05:10 PM
Based on the thread title, for some reason I imagined this was going to be a Moab stoop party thread. :p

Based on tha fact that this thread's been around since 04, & it's taken nearly a decade for you to come up with one of your "witty" comments...I imagine you as being a little, ummmmmmm...well...you know...:_thinking

Cobrajet
09/22/2013, 05:27 PM
... I don't believe the higher engine revs and harsher shifting in Power mode do the VX engine and trans any favors as far as long term longevity.

Mines been on since I bought it, and 140,000 miles later I'm experiencing no adverse affects. Nor am I experiencing "harsher shifting". Maybe you should leave it on longer.

Y33TREKker
09/22/2013, 05:33 PM
Based on tha fact that this thread's been around since 04, & it's taken nearly a decade for you to come up with one of your "witty" comments...I imagine you as being a little, ummmmmmm...well...you know...:_thinking
As you seem to have failed to notice, it wasn't me who resurrected this thread recently, so as usual, your imaginings about me are as off-track as ever.

Y33TREKker
09/22/2013, 05:34 PM
Mines been on since I bought it, and 140,000 miles later I'm experiencing no adverse affects. Nor am I experiencing "harsher shifting". Maybe you should leave it on longer.
I'll take that into consideration. In the meantime, good luck with the choice that you've made for your VX.

Ldub
09/24/2013, 06:03 AM
As you seem to have failed to notice, it wasn't me who resurrected this thread recently, so as usual, your imaginings about me are as off-track as ever.

Oh my...that was a good one...:laughing:

Y33TREKker
09/24/2013, 11:53 AM
Oh my...that was a good one...:laughing:
You know, based on some of the pictures you've posted on this site from Stoop parties over the years, the normal thing would have been for you to take my joke as a compliment, but instead, you reply with a derogatory response that YOU think is "witty".

Guess you just have some more :_thinking to do, because your comment didn't even rank a sarcastic "good one".

Ldub
09/25/2013, 02:59 PM
You know, based on some of the pictures you've posted on this site from Stoop parties over the years, the normal thing would have been for you to take my joke as a compliment, but instead, you reply with a derogatory response that YOU think is "witty".

Guess you just have some more :_thinking to do, because your comment didn't even rank a sarcastic "good one".

Ohhhhh...Myyyyyyy...two inna row...:thumbup:

Y33TREKker
09/25/2013, 07:12 PM
Ohhhhh...Myyyyyyy...two inna row...:thumbup:
As usual. Rather than just admit that YOU took my comment the wrong way (on purpose perhaps?), you decide instead to double down on trying to make me look bad by grasping at whatever witty (at least to you anyway) straw possible.

Good thing your not the kind to hold petty grudges.