PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage

Hanalei
12/16/2004, 09:24 AM
Can anyone suggest a way I can improve my gas mileage? Right now I'm getting about 11 mpg, local.

Can a new air filter improve mpg? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
:D

cascabel3
12/16/2004, 01:14 PM
eleven Mpg is totally out of hand. .;eeky; How many miles does your VX have and what type of maintenance has it received? Bad mileage can come from a lot reasons, from dirty aircleaner to bad EGR.

I have 2000 with 60k and avg 15 city and 18 hwy

Hanalei
12/16/2004, 01:45 PM
It has 41K on it and I change the oil very 3K. Just had the diff fluids changed as well as the fuel filter. It runs beautifully but the mpg is lousy.

Hanalei
12/16/2004, 01:47 PM
The air filter is new also. I keep 40 psi in the tires (max 50 psi), so I'm at a loss what to do.

cascabel3
12/16/2004, 02:13 PM
A diagnostic might be in order. At that mileage even paying a professional will be a good investment. For one thing, if they check your smog it should show if you are running rich. 11mpg is unacceptable, even for a VX. How long has it been that way?

AlaskaVX
12/16/2004, 04:25 PM
FYI- With my lift and 33's and cold weather I am seeing 10mpg.

Tone
12/16/2004, 04:59 PM
Is 10MPG corrected for your vastly differnt tire size? 11MPG in town for a VX IS well within reason depending on how you drive, tire air pressure, etc. - but a look under the bonet never hurts...

mrtew
12/16/2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, big tires will make it look like you are getting worse mileage than you really are... since they fool the odometer into thinking that you haven't driven nearly as far as you really have per gallon.

Hanalei
12/17/2004, 05:35 AM
I've been getting 11 mpg since I bought it a year ago. It runs like new but when I read about VXers getting 15 or 18 mpg local, makes me wonder what's wrong. I'll have to have a diagnostic run.

CSTYLES
12/17/2004, 05:46 AM
Not to high-jack your thread H but,
mine has been getting progressively less mpg since I owned it.

a friend suggested I may have a fuel line leak, since he can smell gas fumes when I turn over the engine.

any suggestions?

Hanalei
12/17/2004, 06:02 AM
I think the best course of action would be to have a diagnostic run from an Isuzu service center (I won't let anyone else touch my VX). That should answer your question. I'll definitely get mine done after the holidays and will keep you posted. You do the same! :-)

VXMAN
12/17/2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Hanalei
Isuzu service center (I won't let anyone else touch my VX).
Dude, not to slam you but YOUR NUTS That is the LAST place I'd ever go! Most Isuzu shops don't even know what a VehiCROSS is! I'd find a good mechanic you trust and stay away from Isuzu. And if your worried about having a warranty issue, just do a search on others who have tried to get warranty work done. Isuzu fights you on all issues, claiming it's not a warranty covered part anyway. I've had my VX for 4 years, and only went to Isuzu ONCE, and never again. I have my own personal mechanic do all my work!

:D
Dave...

Francesco Rizzo
12/17/2004, 07:45 AM
I changed my air flter and then went to cerami isuzu to get my wheels aligned, wheel bearings greased, and all the 4x4 parts fluids flushed.. 450 bucks. I went from 17 hwy to about 19.5.... and that lasted a while.. It's now down to 16-17 hwy and that's after I upgraded the exhaust. Expect to get less mileage in the winter as an additive is used in your gas for cold weather operations. Also, check the tire pressure since 29 is the require pressure. This is import more for the TOD than the mpg..... my transfer case went bad, but I'd like to thank Cerami for warrenty work cost me nil! I was expecting to get 20-21 hwy with the new exhaust, but now with winter it's hard to tell exactly.

Hanalei
12/17/2004, 08:19 AM
I've been using Belleville Isuzu since I got my VX and they've gone above and beyond and their service is great. I'm no longer under warranty and got an extended warranty but haven't had the need to use it yet.

Before going to Belleville Isuzu, I had 3 local mechanics tell me they wouldn't touch my VX. I know alot of people have had bad experiences with Isuzu but Belleville knows what they're doing and I swear by them, and believe me, I'm not easy to please when it comes to my VX!

t2p
12/17/2004, 08:33 AM
I consistently get 15+ mpg combined ...... (a few times over 17 mpg) .... this has been a welcome surprise.
But then again, I probably drive like an old toad compared to some ....... most .......... ?

I really like the power characteristics of the 3.5 Izu engine .... it is smooth and has decent low end and a good mid range 'punch. The engine - combined with the low gearing, trans ratios, and the characteristics of the torque converter - allow me to drive around the rural roads, etc. effortlessly ........
Generally, I take it easy from a standstill ...... and usually cruise around the highway at 2500/2700 rpm ..........
My VX is shod with 255-55's ........ usually run around 38 psi ......

PeteVX
12/17/2004, 08:40 AM
15 mpg ...mixture of town and highway always 300 miles to a tankful of 87 oct gas

Shell gas stations around here are promoting their premium as having a fuel system cleaner, its a little more expensive but if it works would be worth a tankful every few fill ups.

Anyone had any experience with it?

AREA 51
12/17/2004, 10:05 AM
I believe Tone recommended, some time ago, to use a fuel system cleaner additive regularly. Have any of you with mileage problems been doing this?

AlaskaVX
12/17/2004, 11:32 AM
Forgot to add that I use premium (90 now, was 92 up to end of summer) from Chevron. I also drive faster/harder then most.

And yes I did take into account the extra mile every 10 miles on my 10mpg.

thebear54
12/20/2004, 04:54 AM
Doing the round trip from Vermont to the Monticello,NY VX meet I averaged 21.5 MPG. The trick(or at least my trick) is regimented service program and not deviating from the stock tires/wheels. Follow the factory specs keep the "sunny side up".
John

cascabel3
12/21/2004, 01:56 PM
I now get 14-15mpg around town and measured up to 18mpgs on Fwy keeping it at 70mph (how boring is that?.)

I must add that I have Nitto Terra Grapplers 18-65-285 and my mileage went down a bit from the stock tires.

TucsonVX
12/22/2004, 04:17 PM
I got about 16 miles per gal climbing from 1200 feet to 7800ft travel trip to from Tucson to Utah 1800 miles round trip, the best was 20 miles a gallon going down a long grade. Now with the air off and windows closed it's still about 16 to 17 around town. I have Nitto's grabbers 285/65/17.