PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Mods

kpaske
12/12/2004, 11:27 PM
There are a few things I'm not real clear on. Maybe the experts here can help me understand.

1. The Darlington Diff Drop Brackets and the Ball Joint Flip mod both reduce the CV shaft angles after doing a torsion bar lift. Which is the better method, and why?

2. Would there be any benefit to doing BOTH?

3. How else can the front suspension be lifted beyond the 2" - 3" cranking the torsion bars will get you?

4. What would be needed to modify the suspension to fit 35" tires?

Jay Dunford
12/13/2004, 05:27 AM
The drop brackets correct the some of the CV angle created by a troision bar crank.

The ball-joint flip will get the tires back closer to the correct alignment angles, not reduce the CV angles. On higher lifts (3-4") the flip is sometimes needed if there is not enough adjustment in the shims for alignment.

You can get 4" cranking the torision bars but you are getting close to the factory bump stops by then. There are some low profile bump stops available from Darlington and Independent4x that will give you "some" droop back.

Depending on the tire width you might be able to fit 35" tires on with a 3-4" lift with LOTS of trimming on both the front and rear of the front wheel wells. 35's will also put a lot of strain on the CV's even with the axle drop. If you push them hard, be prepared for breakage.

kpaske
12/13/2004, 06:03 PM
So if I've got my torsion bars cranked nearly all the way (or put some bump stops in) it would be smart to flip the ball joints AND install the drop brackets? Does it literally drop the front diff? In other words, it will give me less clearance?

I think there have been a couple of owners who've done 35's under the VX... Does anyone know specifically how they did it? Does anyone know how to get more than 4" of lift in the front?