PDA

View Full Version : Racing this weekend.....

jayfotos
12/07/2004, 04:32 PM
1/4 mile, got any tips?

AlaskaVX
12/07/2004, 05:03 PM
Lauch around 3,000 rpm's. Use 2 feet, one on the brake, one on the gas and as soon as you go you stomp that right foot and lift your left as fast as possible, after a while you will get a good feel for it and get some great reaction times.

Not sure if you have ever done this but make sure you understand the staging lights, you roll up then one light will light up then go another 6" and a second one will light. Then the lights drop and go on the yellow before the green.

jayfotos
12/07/2004, 07:42 PM
I also got some tips from a buddy of mine as well.

1. Show up to the track on fumes, at the track they sell 105 otc gas @ $8 a gallon, get a gallon worth.
2. Take out all the unnecessary crap out of your car, as far much as take out the spare, jack and even the back seat.

I'll take his word, he's has a Neon(don't laugh)SXT that runs in the upper 13's.

I'll try your idea too, bet I'll pratice a bit be fore I head out.;)

Maugan_VX
12/08/2004, 04:37 AM
if you run in the 13s, please get a video of it so I can shove it in the face of some non-believers around here :)

Good luck.

Ldub
12/08/2004, 05:40 AM
I think it was THE MAN John Force who said it best...

DON'T TURN !

Good Luck, Ldub

Cyrk
12/08/2004, 06:09 AM
Good luck Jay! Represent our VX... snag some pics of you blazing down the strip! My perdition : 15.7... hope it is faster not slower.

Want to get my SC VX to the track soon.

-Dave

AlaskaVX
12/08/2004, 12:23 PM
With my seats, stereo (12"s), and all the other BS out of my car I ran a 15.2, you should at least see a 15.5.

But it's a ways to the gas station from the track so I could never go with real low gas tank.

Just to let you know, I tried a lot of different launches and around 3,000 was the best times. If I tried at 4,000+ rpm's it would really bog down right off the line. Just play with it, it might have been best at lower than 3,000, it's hard to try to watch your rpm's and the light at the same time, maybe try 2,000 and work your way up.

Oh and show up early and let it cool down before you start and once you get the hang of it let it cool again and try. With a hot engine I would run .4-.5 slower.

Cyrk
12/08/2004, 12:35 PM
Nice, 15.2 I thought I remember you running around 15.8 or so when you were going to the track? 15.2 is a great time. Excited to see what Jay can pull off. Gives me hope that the VX is faster with the SC on... cause it feels so slow to me. I am just used to it I need some more go fast mods... Featherfoot where are our chips?

Tone
12/08/2004, 12:47 PM
If you turn off your TOD you can get 1-2 tenths lower in my experience plus you get to burn out in the bleach box!

AlaskaVX
12/08/2004, 01:06 PM
I turned off my TOD and as fun as it was burning that rubber I didn't see any faster times. :confused: Much better launch times with the TOD on. But once it got to 3rd gear it helped to have it off. I found TOD on to do consistantly better?

jayfotos
12/08/2004, 04:34 PM
The weather is pretty chilly now and racing starts at 7pm, the cold air will help.

Did you leave the power button on?

AlaskaVX
12/08/2004, 05:19 PM
power button cuts .1 off the 1/4 mile consistantly, definately leave it on.

jayfotos
12/11/2004, 11:30 PM
I'm back! It was a busy night, 200+ cars were racing and I got in 6 runs. My best time was 15.6, my worst 16.1.

A strange thing was going on while racing, my gears shifting from 2nd and 3rd felt like a sputter, almost like a miss timing.....anyone know what that could be?
I think I could of done alot better if it was'nt for that.

Most people were impressed with my times, but I know if I had more "snapper" gear changes, I bet I could get in the very low 15's or maybe very high 14's......I'll have to investigate.

No pics, sorry I went stag(my old lady bagged on me the last minnut, good thing, she would've been bored out of her mind)

Cyrk
12/12/2004, 12:28 PM
My perdition : 15.7... hope it is faster not slower.

Damm need to go play lotto... so close, nice job!

jayfotos
12/12/2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Cyrk
Damm need to go play lotto... so close, nice job!

Good guess, I remembered you preditked that while I was at the race and I was'nt going home til I beat it....ha!;)

Tone
12/12/2004, 02:59 PM
Interceptor turned to max pressure will help with the shifts but the sputter is hitting the rev limited before making the shift. Try manually shifting and anticipating when you need to shift so you will not hit the limiter.

Sucessful drag racing takes time to learn - what were your reaction times and did they subtract from that from your overall trap time? Were you running with taller and heavier than stock tires?

Heraclid
12/12/2004, 04:48 PM
Hmmm, so it's safe to manually shift in that situation (under hard acceleration)? After getting similar advice, I started to do that in my Avenger and ended up needing a new tranny. I just assumed that I shouldn't have been doing it and that it was why the tranny got trashed.

jayfotos
12/12/2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
Hmmm, so it's safe to manually shift in that situation (under hard acceleration)? After getting similar advice, I started to do that in my Avenger and ended up needing a new tranny. I just assumed that I shouldn't have been doing it and that it was why the tranny got trashed.

Yea, that sounds like it could hurt the tranny. The Interceptor, have'nt heard to many good things to even try it, Is there any other alternatives?

My reaction times-

But from what I understand, they don't matter to much. Your time starts from when you pass the sensor, you could sit there for a minnut(after the green) if you like.

VX crazy
12/12/2004, 06:23 PM
Manually shifting a tranny will NOT hurt a tranny - no way, not how unless you shift into R while rolling! Interceptor run on max all the time IS probably bad but if you are racing in the first place, that isn't good overall for the vehicle anyway.

Some tracks count your reaction time, especially in bracket racing, that is why I asked.

Again, are you running taller heavier tires than stock?

jayfotos
12/12/2004, 07:08 PM
I'm running on Toyo street tires, don't know the size off hand. I think they are about 1.5"(maybe more) shorter and a 1" wider than the stockies.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901rear.jpg

AlaskaVX
12/13/2004, 10:44 AM
Hey jayfotos, I also get that rev out inbetween 2-3. I found that its because the power button is on (I thought it had more to do with the interceptor). I would run through half of 2nd in power mode then turn it off then after the shift re-engage power mode.

Heraclid
12/13/2004, 03:02 PM
Just wondering. I'm not saying it is necessarily bad for the tranny or not because I don't know, but I had always assumed that manually shifting was the way mine got trashed on a previous car. It certainly made a difference on that car if you did it right, and the tranny never griped about it at the time. But what about if you did it at times other than the optimum shift points? It seems at least possible, even if you almost had to be trying to screw it up.

Now for this launching at 3,000 rpms thing. Doesn't work, at least not for me. The reason is that the VX starts powering forward and overriding the brakes before the revs even get that high. Despite having the brake all the way depressed, I can't keep it stationary long enough to get to 3,000 rpms.

MZ-N10
12/13/2004, 06:12 PM
this is kinda on a tangent but has anyone considered swaping our tranny wiht the troopers stick shift tranny?
________
Gabryella cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Gabryella)