PDA

View Full Version : Where are these parts?

grvcmike
02/24/2003, 07:34 PM
Hey does anybody out there know if CLEAR taillight covers exist? Second, Mud Guards for the VX (the good heavy duty plastic ones) If any one has them, what kind and size are they? Thanks

JAFO
02/25/2003, 04:44 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement antenna? I have the mounting assembly on the roof but don't have the little metal antenna. The local dealership can only find a part number for the whole thing, which is $100.

Moncha
02/25/2003, 07:47 PM
The antenna does not come in separate pieces. You have to get the whole thing...

However, you can try VW, they use the same set up for the Beatle.

There are some after market items that you can search for using the VW setup...

paultvx
02/26/2003, 05:38 AM
It's the same antenna all VWs use. It's call the Fuba Antenna.

Some VW aftermarket sites:

www.vwaftermarket.com
www.parts4vws.com

There are a bunch of others... I can't remember them anymore. Out of the scene.

Go to www.vwvortex.com and I'm sure you'll find a bunch.

JAFO
02/26/2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I went to the VW dealership during lunch. The new antenna fits perfect.

JAFO
02/26/2003, 12:42 PM
Hey does anybody out there know if CLEAR taillight covers exist?

I haven't used these before but this might work on the taillights. Not sure how well it would work on something as contoured as the VX's headlights though.

http://chasetechno.com/homepage.html

paultvx
02/26/2003, 02:33 PM
BTW, since it is a Fuba antenna, if you use an aftermarket radio you will need to get a DIN-12 antenna adapter (available from car audio shops and Crutchfield).

After I installed a radio in mine, I've lost all but one AM station (the strongest one). The antenna is an amplified antenna and needs power to operate properly.

carlymac
02/27/2003, 10:30 AM
Good to know about the antenna. Thanks paultvx

01 Dragon
02/27/2003, 11:38 AM
;pg; I just want to say how cool our site is..two people get on here asking for help and in no time
at all there are links, replies, suggestions on where to find what they are looking for ...it makes me
smile to know there are cool people out there. I have asked for help or suggestions and have been
treated the same way.....;Db; Thank you everyone for everything!
Im proud to be a member of this site and community!
;Db; OK Im "Dragon" my butt outta here......
Tom
01 Dragon

Simon Templar
02/28/2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
BTW, since it is a Fuba antenna, if you use an aftermarket radio you will need to get a DIN-12 antenna adapter

What is a DIN-12 adapter?

...sT

Green Dragon
02/28/2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Simon Templar
What is a DIN-12 adapter?

...sT

European antenna adapter
12 volt power to antenna

http://www.pozitiveconnections.com/ant_adp.htm

Reg Hinnant
03/03/2003, 06:28 AM
I'm changing out my radio and I found in mine (1999) that I have 2 wires coming from the antenna.
1 coax with a male end and 1 black wire that has a connector that connects to a orange wire with silver band every 2". this orange wire also has a red tape around it just down from the connector. The orange wire goes to the back of the factory plug that plugs into the stock radio.
On my Metra harness (80-7712) that position (pin # 12), that the opange wire goes to, is the blue Power antenna wire.
My question , for you radio gurus, is the orange wire going to the antenna the 12v power wire? and if so can I hook the amp/power ant on, blue/white wire to it thus not needing the Dinn 12 adapter.
BTW on mine the Dinn 12 adapter shown will not fit. It will plug into the radio but the male antenna end will not plug into the other end with out a gender changer adapter.
Also the stock antenna coax does not have any slack to enable it to plug into a radio with the coax recpticle on the oppisite side of the stock radio.
All of this to get rid of the unreliable CD changer! :mad:

I'm baseing all of the above on what I found on this web site.
http://www.corrado-club.com/aktiv/Fuba.cfm
and the circuit diagram #9 in the VX manual that shows (on the audio plug) pin # 12 as Ant Conn

paultvx
03/03/2003, 12:53 PM
If you don't listen to AM radio... you don't need to worry about it.

Reg Hinnant
03/03/2003, 02:18 PM
I'm going with a Pioneer radio & 6 CD changer that will fit in the stock slots.

Dallas4u
03/03/2003, 03:03 PM
Reg, let me know if you find the Pioneer in-dash 6 disc changer at a reasonable price... those things are hard to come by, and they usually aren't cheap!!!

Reg Hinnant
03/04/2003, 04:02 PM
I hunted thru all the discount & retail houses that still showed them in their catalog with no luck...all sold out. Found one on ebay $200.00
I took apart the Fuji 10 POS to find out why they keep failing.
The carriage moving jack screws are driven by small nylon gears that wear. Once they jump timing, the carriage misaligns, thats it folks.
Mine also had weak shock mountings in the front of the unit which allowed the player to contact the frame with any bump and made it skip.

paultvx
03/04/2003, 06:04 PM
Fujitsu 10 eh? POS?

Don't they own Eclipse? ;)

paultvx
03/04/2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Reg Hinnant
I'm going with a Pioneer radio & 6 CD changer that will fit in the stock slots.

Both Blaupunkt and Nakamichi have in dash changers that will fit. Just about any 1 DIN in dash units will fit. Don't lose those factory mounting brackets.

Reg Hinnant
03/04/2003, 08:20 PM
Hey, Paultvx, if going thru 3 CD changers during warrantee does not rate a "POS" tag then I don’t know what you call reliable.
I don’t care if they own Eclipse; I'm not buying one just to have it last, at the most, a year.
I'm putting my money into someone else’s product hoping it will be more reliable that the unit we got in the VX.
All of this is my opinion, with my unique experience, in spite of numerous replacements, no harsh or unusual treatment, using original CD's and hoping/trying to have a long, enjoyable relationship with the stock units.
To all others, you may not have this same experience, your music may vary, your CD's may or may not skip, your changer may or may not last through your payment book, nothing is implied, forsaken nor suggested unless you part your hair right down the middle which in that case the above mentioned is just an illusion for your consumption so do not be consumed.
whew........ ;wtf; :rollp:

paultvx
03/04/2003, 11:37 PM
Umm ok. Somebody didn't take their Prozac today.

My comment was sarcasm towards... well, you know how common it is for people to buy product based on the brand alone. For example some people think Eclipse products are the best things since sliced bread just because the name on the product says ECPLISE. Our crappy stock units are just proof that even a manufacturer that is considered to be tops can make a POS just as well as your average generic department store brand.

No ill intentions were directed at YOU. Clear?

Dallas4u
03/05/2003, 05:19 AM
I just wanted to state that most (or all) OEM stereos are going to be made by large manufacturers, in large numbers, for the auto industry. I'm not sure when they started or if they stopped, but at one point Alpine was making the stereos for Honda. My 96 Civic DX had a decent radio (no CD or tape, just radio), but it obviously wasn't worth much in the long run. My 97 Prelude had a decent OEM CD player, but still didn't do much for me (or many others).

It is still a personal preference. I've had Sony, JVC, Blaupunkt, a RIO Car MP3 player, and Pioneer hardware in the past a present, and I wouldn't necessarily go with any of those just for the name, but I do trust them because of that (well, I've had trouble with Sony products in general). I currently have a Pioneer Premier head unit and love it... but sooner or later I'm bound to get either tired of it or see something out there that will BEG me to buy it, and I probably will!!!

Reg Hinnant
03/05/2003, 10:02 AM
Hey, Paultvx......I'm just having fun with you.
All these things are "Plunk down your money & pick your poison"
I tried to show in my post that I wasnt all that serious.
;Dr;