PDA

View Full Version : VIN breakdown

rogue1313
12/07/2004, 03:30 AM
I tried using the search function to no avail. Anyone know how to break down the VIN? What all the numbers/letters mean exactly? I found something for Troopers on that forum, but it only went to 98'. Couldn't seem to dig anything useful up on Yahoo/Google. Just curious if it somehow gives the month and year, etc. of manufacturing.

thebear54
12/07/2004, 03:55 AM
Check out my Vx site: http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/isuzuvehicrossowners/

It was just updated at the end of November and includes some VIN info John

t2p
12/07/2004, 03:30 PM
bear54:
I just checked out the pic of the totaled 99 Astral Silver .....
Dedication would not be enough to fix that one ........
The passenger quarter panel and passenger door need to be replaced. The front and rear bumper covers probably need to be replaced ...... the front fender is tweeked .... and the rear door probably also.
The rear floor pan would need to be fixed/replaced .... the frame is most likely bent ...... and the roof might need to be replaced.
Then there is the wheel ......glass - rear glass and passenger door glass .... maybe the windshield ? ..... headlight assy .....
ouch .......

rogue1313
12/07/2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks "Bear". Was able to check out your site after a little digging around. Very informative.

My only question is that on my VIN the two digits before the last three are 00 then 619. So I know that the 619 is the production number for that year, but does that mean mine was manufactured in 2000...because it's listed as an 01...with the CA DMV and everything else I've ever looked up with it

Maybe it was manufactured in 2000 for the 01 model year?

thebear54
12/08/2004, 02:24 AM
hEY hEY....If your number has the "00" then your car is a 2000 not a 2001 model. Motto : "you can't fool with mother nature... or VIN codes";) Thanks for checking out the site, just got it put together about two months ago and I update monthly as more information comes up.
Keep on truckin'...............John

johnnyapollo
12/08/2004, 04:10 AM
The "00" or "01" could indicate the manufacture year, not necessarily the sale year. I'm not sure if this is still done, but it could be that autos/trucks produced at the end of "00" could have been sold in the US as "01"s once exported to the US. This may have happened towards the end of the year, when the VX was in transit or some such.

This was once common practice - leftover 67 Austin Healey 3000s were sold in the US in 68 as 1968 models (the only thing different with them was the add-on AC unit in all 68s - they actually have 67 codes for manufactor in the VIN - however they are referred to as "BN8s"). It used to be common for 1/2 years to be produced as well - especially to meet safety regulations - that's why there are so many 1974 1/2 models, especially of British autos in the US. The 1/2 models have these huge bumper blocks to comply to US safety standards imposed that year.

-- John

deermagnet
12/08/2004, 04:59 AM
My VIN is JACCN57X7X7991566.

What do these letters and numbers indicate? Isuzu VIN Decoder (https://isuzusource.com/v2/vin_include.php)

JAC- Isuzu MPV
C- GVWR 4,001-5,000 lbs.
N- Utility, 4X4 Active (manual) belts with dual air bags
5- MPV
7- 2 door, short wheel base
X- 3.5L, DOHC, V6 gas engine
7- Valid check digit
X- 1999 model (Y=2000 1=2001)
7- Made in Fujisawa, Japan
9- USA sequential identifier
9- Vehicross
1566- Sequential number of manufacture

You can find the exact month/year of manufacture inside the door jam.

I hope this answers your question.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/gifs/morphvx.gif (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/99vx.html)

tomdietrying
12/08/2004, 06:15 AM
Rogue1313,
Check on the inside of armrest compartment. that's where they put the month and the year of when the vehicle was actually made or checked. Example: my VX is a 2001, but the date on the inside of the armrest is June 2000.
Peace.
Tom

rogue1313
12/08/2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the extra info....I'll check the door jam and armrest when I head out today.

But yeah, as far as the CA DMV, CARFAX, and other things I've used the VIN for, it's an 01'.

Was just curious.

It's funny though, how difficult is was to find any info on the net. You'd think it'd be no problem these days, but still couldn't find a detailed breakdown using Google/Yahoo/Msn.