PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 456 gears??

LITTLELAURIE
12/07/2004, 12:53 AM
I know that Isuzu doesn't make 456 gears. I want to get 456's on my VX to help relieve the stress on my engine!! Does anyone know who makes and sells those gears for a VX?? Sorry if my wording is off,when talking about these things, after all, I am just a girly girl! :D

SPAZZ
12/07/2004, 05:44 AM
duh... www.independent4x.com also, you must look in the salvage yards for gears or 3rd members out of an Isuzu or passport or other car with same axles as ours.

you have my number if you wanted to know...just ask.;Dp;

MrCrowley
12/07/2004, 08:20 AM
Troopers have 4.56 gears. Should be cheaper to find a wrecked one for parts than to buy retail. Just have them looked over by someone knowledgeable. If you are running 33" or taller I would say go 5.38 if you arent agressive offroad (extra cv wear), but you will have to buy retail.

SPAZZ
12/07/2004, 12:23 PM
www.independent4x.com is not retail. I think 538's would be too low for her and would suffer too much mileage negetivity. She does not need THAT much beefiiness..she will like it at first but her highway mileage would suffer so great she would be dissapointed. 456's would work great, but those 477's would be perfect. it is difficult but you gotta keep looking, don't give up. I am still looking for the 477's and have not given up and still searching.

are you sure they are out of a '89 Trooper RS with wide tire option????

LITTLELAURIE
12/07/2004, 04:12 PM
Thankyou Spazz, for coming to my rescue again and again!

Laurie

Nazrat
12/07/2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
www.independent4x.com is not retail. I think 538's would be too low for her and would suffer too much mileage negetivity. She does not need THAT much beefiiness..she will like it at first but her highway mileage would suffer so great she would be dissapointed. 456's would work great, but those 477's would be perfect. it is difficult but you gotta keep looking, don't give up. I am still looking for the 477's and have not given up and still searching.

are you sure they are out of a '89 Trooper RS with wide tire option????

That's where I got mine. Others with 89 RS/wide tire have also found them. They may also exist in other 1st gens with wide tires.

-Tad

kpaske
12/07/2004, 08:15 PM
Whatever happened to the 4.88's? Do they exist?

It looks like that site had two 3rd members with 4.77's but they sold them. This is everything you would need, right? Then it would be a direct swap?

MrCrowley
12/08/2004, 04:05 AM
AN '89 TROOPER DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME AXLES AS THE VX. Old gen and new gen troopers are different. Early new gen and late new gen troopers are different.

Nazrat
12/08/2004, 08:26 AM
Have you confirmed that? I have only based my information on the outside of the axle, but if I must I'll pull an axle shaft and check it against the Trooper.

From another thread:

The 4.77:1 gears will fit 88-97 Troopers, 89-94 Amigos, and pickups with disc brakes. It also appears that they will fit the Vehicross. Externally the rear axle appears to be the "older" Isuzu 12-bolt axle. 98+ Troopers have a newer 12-bolt that isn't compatible.

Dan R's Vehicross rear axle:
http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/Mi...tation/IMG_0517

Conway's 2001 Trooper rear axle:
http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/Mi...001_trooper_dif

88 Trooper diff: (sorry for the mud) http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/MiscInstalls/slider9

88 Trooper diff again:
http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/KYSep01/IMAG0024

Does anyone have a VX rear axle that looks like the 2001 Trooper axle and not like Dan's VX axle? Mine looks like the older 12-bolt. (like Dan's).

If you find a set of the 4.77s, they are quite rare. I got my set out of an 89 RS Trooper. 1st Gen Troopers with the wide tire option apparently came with the 4.77 gears, and no other Trooper did.

Some 4cyl 98+ amigos or rodeos came with 4.77s, but that doesn't matter to this forum because they have a dana-44 rear axle and the gears don't interchange.

-Tad

Nazrat
12/08/2004, 08:28 AM
Another comment:

If 4.56 gears fit, then 4.77s will too. None of the 98+ Trooper modified 12-bolt differentials came with 4.56s so they had to come from 88-97 "standard" 12-bolt axles.

-Tad

Nazrat
12/08/2004, 08:29 AM
And here's a cheap 89 RS:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=174393927

-Tad

MrCrowley
12/08/2004, 10:49 AM
ARB shows a 23 and a 26 spline rear for 98+ Troopers . There looks to be some confusion that we need to iron out so no one buys ill-fitting stuff. Do searches on different lockers and axle parts to find out. I will have time after the weekend, but we could find out faster if we all look at different areas. Like I said- ARB shows some strange info.

I have a horrible trip going from AL to NC diagonally across the Appalachains through the most beautiful parts of it- Darn!;Db;

Nazrat
12/08/2004, 10:52 AM
I'll pull an axle shaft then. It won't take too long, but don't expect it before the weekend.

-Tad

SPAZZ
12/08/2004, 10:54 AM
our rear axle is 26 spline

I have a front and rear 3rd member in my garage. The rear is not usable but rebuildable...no since in you pulling a VX axle shaft if not necessary. Contact if you have any questions.

Todd Adams
12/08/2004, 11:10 AM
The last time I talked with ARB there was something a bit different about the rears in the VX so that they did not have a locker that would work. Has this changed?

Nazrat
12/08/2004, 11:19 AM
If it will take the 4.56 third member from another Isuzu, it will take the locker (RD44) too. I have moved my 4.77s from an 89 Trooper to an 88 Trooper to a 94 Trooper - all the 26 spline axle. Those 3rd members will accept the RD44. Now, the VX cast iron housing may have some interference problems with the locker, but that wouldn't prevent you from swapping to 4.56 gears and an earlier 3rd member at the same time (2 birds, one stone).

-Tad

newthings
12/08/2004, 11:21 AM
Dragon Bob has an ARB in the front. Search for old postings. He may have given all of the details.
Roy

Todd Adams
12/08/2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by newthings
Dragon Bob has an ARB in the front. Search for old postings. He may have given all of the details.
Roy

I think my front ARB was in before Bob's. I was asking about the rear. In fact I wired mine for the rear when it became available or when the LSD failed to lock up.
I already take it where I shouldn’t.
Todd

SPAZZ
12/08/2004, 02:41 PM
only thing different about our rear axles is that we have a thicker ring gear. I put in a 3rd member from a 1994 Pup and it works and fit...so ARB RD44 should fit and work in the rear axle.....

SlowPro48
12/08/2004, 03:07 PM
Don't want to side-track this thread too much but as long as you're talking lockers I've got a quick question. How much difference would a rear locker make if we've already got limited slip? The left:right torque split with a locker is always 50:50 - i.e., if one tire has no traction the other is still getting half the torque right? So what is the torque split with a LSD if one tire has no traction?

MrCrowley
12/08/2004, 04:52 PM
In my opinion, LSD and especially our sturdy rear LSD has on and offroad advantage until you get a tire in the air, or alot of weight difference from side to side (without using the e-brake trick). Lockers will lose traction at the same time. Bad on Ice, snow, gravel, and wet roads. Yikes! An LSD will corner better especially while driving spiritedly on or offroad- especially rally. A locker has the ability to turn both tires the same speed no matter what. even with 2 tires, lockers F & R will go.

lttlbddy
12/08/2004, 05:47 PM
I had a spare rear third member from an Amigo or early Trooper. Swordy just put it into his VX. If that worked, any older 12-bolt should work in any VX. It is just the newer Troopers, 98+, that have the different 12-bolt.

BTW - That third had the 4.55 gears.

Steve G