PDA

View Full Version : shifter

Amack76
11/30/2004, 06:07 AM
anyone know how to instal a razo auto shift knob (RA94), and is it safe, i mean will i still have to push something in or down to change gears (it would be bad slamming the car into reverse while doing 60).

SlowPro48
11/30/2004, 08:24 AM
what's wrong with the shifter you've got?

WormGod
11/30/2004, 09:04 AM
I have had 2 Razo shifter knobs now. The first was a pistol grip type which you had to push down a thumb button to unlock for shifting, but the O/D button rattled so I replaced it. The new one I have now is a smaller type which you have to push down the whole knob to unlock for shifting. Both worked great but took a small bit of modding to get to fit. I dont recall which model #s they are, but they both work.

Just remember, just because they are advertised as universal, it does not mean some minor fabrication is not needed. The major modding you may need to do is breaking the spotwelds on the square pipe housing that covers the shift cylinder shaft. Most knobs are made for a cylindrical shifter and not the sqaure one we have.

nyc #1 ironman
11/30/2004, 09:47 AM
1ST of all Frank where have you beennnnnnnnnnn? 2nd of all R U coming to our get together in Monticello NY on Dec 19th? Its no too bad of a trip from you in Jersey? Anyway I've had 2 Razo shifters. Youy can check it out in my gallery. They are sweet looking but I had problems with both of them with lots of rattling (which I believe someone posted a solution for on the board) and I also had a problem with them loosening up on me. I had it done professionally and still am having problems with it. Might be just me but I do remember other stating the same facts. Do a search on the board also.... Get back to me on the Dec 19th meet, so everyone can check out your dashboard...

Amack76
11/30/2004, 03:01 PM
hey, been busy with school trying to get my ***** outt ahere what time and how far is the meet cause i might have to work. if there are that many problems with shifter knobs then i might just leave it alone.

nyc #1 ironman
12/01/2004, 08:36 AM
The meet is in monticello ny, check out top of vehicross.info page for details. You would probably have 1 hour 45 min drive from where you are. You can meet up with us and follow us. We are meeting at 11:00am on Dec 19th. Should be fun and we haven't seen you since that great pizzeria...

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/02/2004, 04:38 PM
I have the OBX Tomcat A/T with OD button shifter which is a "knockoff" of the Razo shifter of the same style.

I read the posts about rattling of Razo shifters before I installed mine...and since mine is a copy-cat design I took the necessary precautions outlined by others and it paid off! No rattles of any kind! I simply took the shifter knob apart and put shrink wrap tubing on the internal coil spring and coated it afterwards with a light coating of silicon grease. Also coated the OD button with a light coating of silicon grease.

Amack76
12/03/2004, 03:42 AM
jolly can you tell me where exactly you bought the shifter, and a step by step set of instructions

TDAWG
12/04/2004, 08:55 PM
I got a RAZO RA94 and I mustsay mine rattled alittle for a while couldn't figure it out at first till I had my wife check it while I was driving and it seems that the 2 small screws would come loose once in awhile I put a drop of red lock tight and hasn't happened since. I use the overdrive button to turn on my 4 channel amp and it works like a champ.

nyc #1 ironman
12/05/2004, 02:14 PM
Ayyyyy, TDAWG ! R U tryin to say I've got a screw loose?...lololol

Amack76
12/05/2004, 02:51 PM
so you actually push down on the razo 94 shift knob to unlock the gear?

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/12/2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Amack76
jolly can you tell me where exactly you bought the shifter, and a step by step set of instructions

sorry for the long wait for a reply...I haven't been online at all for 8 days....ugh...<withdrawls>!

I bought my automatic transmission shifter from:

http://www.abtivan.com/obx/obx_knobs.htm
("SK18" 3/4 down the page)

I have a few posts concerning the shifter on my Momo VX thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1921&perpage=15&highlight=momovx&pagenumber=2

Installation was mostly followed from the following tutorial:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=953