PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer Purgatory Revisited

Hanalei
11/29/2004, 01:29 PM
Can someone recommend a good replacement for my cd changer which is now making rapid clicking noises whenever I turn on the ignition (not to mention that it's currently holding my favorite Christmas CD hostage!).

I don't want an iPod or anything other than a good ol' car CD changer.

Also, are they easy to replace or should I have someone do it for me?

nyc #1 ironman
11/29/2004, 01:48 PM
1ST you are in Northern NJ, so you better make our VX meet in Dec OK?????????? LOLOL... 2nd, u can go to an aftermarket shop and they can help you to see what would fit. If you do a cd changer search on the board there are plenty of great selections that people have chosen. I don't believe there is any "given" one per say that people use...

MIDN USNA
11/30/2004, 03:18 PM
Ok I have seen on here people talking about cd changers and have shopped around pretty hard. What I want though is something similiar to fit into the dash instead of having some remote unit under a seat or cramping up my limited space in the rear. Any suggestions other than an mp3 player or ipod? All the techs I've asked say there isnt anything but surely there is.

P.S. don't go see the movie Alexander...worst waste of time ever.

Tone
11/30/2004, 10:33 PM
You'll need a new head unit (radio) and a din mount changer of which there are a few. If you have not done stereos before, this might not be the best place to start - getting the dash trim off itself is hard for many. You could also go with an FM Modulated changer that will fit where ours is but the sound is less than ideal.

kpaske
11/30/2004, 11:59 PM
If you opt to do the work yourself, there are plenty of us around that would be more than willing to guide you through the work, but I really don't recommend replacing that 6-Disk Din-Sized changer with anything but a storage pocket. In my experience, cramming all those moving parts in such a small space is just asking for trouble. In fact, 6 CD's doesn't really hold that much data anyways. If anything I'd replace your in-dash head unit with one that reads MP3 disks and just burn your own CD's - you'll be able to cram more songs on an MP3 disk than 6 full standard CD's anyways. If you do get a changer, get one that reads MP3's and you'll be able to store more than a thousand songs.