PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge

JAG!
02/23/2003, 01:21 AM
Here's something abit strange... I'll fill up my VX. Next time I start it my fuel gauge shows about 3/4 tank full.. and each time I drive, it seems I lose 1/8 - 1/4 tank or so.

As I get to 1/4 tank reading tho, the gauge seems to stick there for a while... Any ideas? I've checked my tire pressure and have done my maintenance as per manual -- all checks out.

Haven't seen this mentioned here or on VMAG.. just curious if anyone came across this.

-=JAG!

Moncha
02/23/2003, 06:56 AM
Mine goes from overfull to the F line in a heartbeat but take for ever to get to the 1/2 mark then boom, empty.. But I still get 300 miles to the tank..
I've never understood the gauge.. My Acura was worse yet..
I just go by mileage unless the light comes on.

Tone
02/23/2003, 08:43 AM
Needs to have the sending unit replaced - mine used to do that.

ChryLaser
02/23/2003, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know how much more fuel/milage is left when the fuel light comes on? Just curious.

Tone
02/23/2003, 03:31 PM
Needs to have the sending unit replaced - mine used to do that.

JRB
03/02/2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ChryLaser
Does anyone know how much more fuel/milage is left when the fuel light comes on? Just curious.

I believe that the fuel light comes on when there are 1.5 gallons left in the tank. The guage should read empty when there are 2.5 gallons left in the tank.

Simon Templar
03/02/2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by JRB
I believe that the fuel light comes on when there are 1.5 gallons left in the tank. The guage should read empty when there are 2.5 gallons left in the tank.

Sounds about right. Mine is well below empty before it comes on. A bit disconcerting, actually.

When I first bought my VX, I thought that perhaps the bulb was burnt out or the sender was buggy because it went so far below empty and still had not come on. I finally became fed up with it and took a jerry can with me and just drove til the light came on. I was sure I was going to need the jerry can, it got so low.

But, apparently, that's the nature of the beast.

.....sT