PDA

View Full Version : Hood Insert Issue - Help!

Leah
02/22/2003, 09:52 AM
According to Isuzu, I have the only VehiCROSS in the nation to have a cracked hood insert! When I met with Dale Downing, the Southeast rep, I was surprised when he said their database showed my VX as the only one to have had hood insert replacements. He said they will replace it ONE more time because this will be my fourth one.
When I was getting my second insert, I asked the service manager what would happen if my truck went out of warranty due to mileage in four months (the amount of time it takes for my inserts to get a decent crack) and then the new insert cracked. He said that there was a one year warranty on all parts replaced. But I got the impression from Dale Downing that even if it cracked again, I would have to replace it out of my own pocket! I don't do any four-wheeling, I don't slam my hood, I don't mistreat my truck, and he tried to point out that I had a K&N filter and a free-air flow muffler on the truck and those made it a modified vehicle which should have normally voided the warranty anyway. I knew that wasn't true, so rather than arguing with him, I looked him in the eye until he looked away and started saying, "Well, that probably wouldn't affect it but I'm thinking of heat buildup causing the insert to crack."

Thank God, my mechanic stood up for me and said those things would have nothing to do with heat build up under the hood but would probably reduce heat.

I told Dale I knew others, personally, (from this club and club.vmag.com) who had the same problem and he asked for names and vin numbers. Anyone willing to help me out? Please sign here and VIN# here.

Thank you,

Tone
02/22/2003, 11:09 AM
I've had 4 inserts replaced- feel free to call my service rep Shawn @ 210.357.3394 if you need more ammo. Many of us with and without cone filters have had their inserts replaced more than once.

SPAZZ
02/23/2003, 10:02 PM
What to look for if cracked? is it really noticable or something I must look for? I don't believe I have a cracked hood insert, but I get some wierd clicking noise from guages in dash at speeds above 65. Sounds as though my speedo cable is not connected properly or about to twist off. Everytime I try to have Isuzu check it out, they deny it. Same story about the fuel mileage issue. What can I do or how can I make them honor the warranty?

Doc
02/24/2003, 12:24 AM
Just passed 30,000 miles ... have not seen any sign of cracking in the hood insert.

Should I be *expecting* this to happen sometime soon ? It happens to ALL of you out there ?

AnalogVX
02/24/2003, 08:57 AM
44k miles and no cracks. I read in another post somewhere that it is believed that the insert cracks from over tightening the bolts?

migil
02/24/2003, 04:07 PM
I think the cracks actually would appear on replaced hoods only, basically because of improper/uneven torque applied when tightening bolts - At least that was my experience. Any thoughts?

Leah
02/26/2003, 01:40 PM
When we bought my VX, it already had cracks in the insert. The hood has never been replaced. I think that if your insert hasn't cracked by now and you've had it for a year or more, you're probably in the clear.

Thank you to everyone who has offered to help. I'll be making an appointment to have the insert replaced - for the last time - this week. I'll take the information you all have given me and keep you posted.

Thanks again

valenki
02/26/2003, 05:57 PM
Hey all. I had my VX Ironman for 12 days , did 1200 miles on it, so now it has 16k. I have an original hood and all the parts on the car, although I had my mechanic Alex from Alley Autobody (Lynn, MA) look over it and the hood was one of the things he mentioned. I wanted to paint the hood insert and the cladding, but he told me not to even touch any plastic parts durng very hot and cold weather because deformatoin can be cause by applying pressure with the tools and then temperature change.

seems emperature is the key ???

SU-Vehi
02/28/2003, 10:52 AM
27,000k miles here as well on my 2000 VX and no cracks.

01VX
02/28/2003, 09:59 PM
I have had my insert replaced four times in a year,Hopefully the CF one N1 has will be my last, If you remove the insert there is a relief line underneath that goes across the insert,this is here mine cracks every time.

Wayne
03/18/2003, 10:09 AM
I'm sitting at 33,000 miles and what was once a hairline crack is getting progressively worse. Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer soon...My VX is black - I was hoping that had nothing to do with it (more heat absorbtion due to the darker color...???)

VX4EJR
04/10/2003, 09:26 PM
There's been several posts about a variety of things that were replaced on the VX (ie: 18' chrome wheels, headlights, other exterior or interior parts, etc.) by an Isuzu dealer covered under warranty.
My question is.....for those of you who had this, did any dealer let you keep the damaged or replaced parts after they installed the new ones?
Just curious if Isuzu dealers state they absolutely need the damaged or replaced parts back in order to install the new.

Leah
04/10/2003, 09:46 PM
All four of my hood inserts are mounted on the wall above my service technician's station. He said one of the other techs wanted one of them for his house. I haven't asked if I could have one back but I'm thinking about asking for the one I have now - which is about to be replaced.