PDA

View Full Version : Downshifting problem, HELP please!

DamN
11/23/2004, 11:58 PM
Hi, i have a 99 Ironman with 50k miles on it, about a week ago it starting making a strange clunk noise when downshifting 2 to 1, when i am braking it's ok untill 7-10 mph, when it downshifts and rmps drop i hear a CLUNK and i can feel it, sometimes it's pretty heavy clunk soemtimes not at all, if i brake with different patterns the clunk chnages and sometimes even goes away. Please help with info?. Also i recently Put a PV and K&N on it, could this have caused it somehow? Also i have a Powertrain warranty till 100k , would the aftermarket parts void it ? So If you know how to fix this problem or any tips or any kind of info. All info Appreciated!

Thanks a Lot

DamN

psychos2
11/24/2004, 05:29 AM
first thing to check is tranny fluid level.low fluid can cause this problem. shawn

Tone
11/24/2004, 07:30 AM
There are regular clunks that do occur occassionally on the VX that are not major issues. Low fluid can cause some shift issues but if it is a big hard shift (can really hear and feel it) going from 1-2 or 2-1 then it is probably the Mode Selector, a $300+ part. If you have a 100K warranty on a '99, take it in. Aftermarket parts you mention are not the cause nor should they be an issue with warranty. But I think it is the standard clunk when coming to a stop.

Also do a search on here for clunk and you will find a better description of the known issue.