PDA

View Full Version : Dif Chatter?

I_Wanna_Retire
11/23/2004, 11:27 AM
My beloved VX started making a 'clicking' noise about a week ago. No Isuzu dealer in town so took it to a ma and pa shop and they thought it was an exhaust leak. However, after thinking about this, I am convinced it may be 'chatter' from the front dif. So, can anybody help me diagnose this by answering the following;

1) For those who have heard dif chatter, does it sound like a metallic clicking?

2) Is the nosie worse when it is cold, and sorta goes away after it is warmed up?

3) I recently moved from balmy North Carolina to northern Wisconsin, and it is sorta colder up here, and by coincidence, I noticed the clicking sound when it started to get to 15 degrees at night.

4) I used royal purple 75W140 in North Carolina, what should I use in the colder climate? 75W90? And probably the limited slip gunk?

Thanks

Francesco Rizzo
11/23/2004, 11:34 AM
I think my Rancho shocks are loose, they make a clanking sound every so often... Something about the shocks being a hair too big.. check 'em if you got'em

Maugan_VX
11/23/2004, 12:33 PM
A little more inquiry if I may.

Does it only click during acceleration or does it click at idle?

Does it click during coasting?

How are your CV's?

There are tons of things that can make a clicking noise down there, unfortunately finding it is just a matter of elimination.

I_Wanna_Retire
11/23/2004, 01:47 PM
I can still hear it at idle, or when coasting, or when car is in neutral, but just barely. It is much more pronounced at acceleration.

Maugan_VX
11/23/2004, 01:52 PM
have you ever heard lifter tick before and able to eliminate that as a possibility?

not sure how common it is on the 3.5's, but the 3.2's are notorious for it.

SPAZZ
11/23/2004, 01:56 PM
does your diff have proper gear oil level in it??? or is it a bad CV?

AlaskaVX
11/23/2004, 02:10 PM
If the noise gets faster when gassing it at a stop it is most likely lifter noise, I have a little tick. It could also possibly be a bearing that went out on A/C, alternator, etc. It is not your differential it makes the sound at idle.

I guess if your exhaust manifold pulled off it could be vibrating against the block and give a tick? There are a lot of things it can be, just take a stethascope (sp?) and listen to different parts under the hood and see where it is coming from.

Jay Dunford
11/23/2004, 02:14 PM
Could also be the nut on the EGR tube has come loose. This is a fairly common problem that will sound like a ticking noise and gets louder at higher RPM's.

I_Wanna_Retire
11/24/2004, 01:41 PM
Jay, you are the man. The mechanic claimed the EGR nut had worked loose. Simple tightening resolved problem, and since I graduated with the mechanic, NO CHARGE. Thanks to everybody for your comments,and have a great turkey day.