PDA

View Full Version : SC Warranty Update - GOOD NEWS!

Tone
02/21/2003, 10:31 AM
Just announced and warranty cards are being mailed to those who already have their kits. Essentially, if you put a kit on an Isuzu that is still under the factory warranty as of Dec. 2002, you are still covered. More info to follow and I will post a scan of the warranty card as soon as I have it.

Alpine Isuzu SuperCharger Kit Warranty

This is a "first" for this type of automotive aftermarket product. S.A. Alpine Developments Inc. kits come with a "3-Year / 36,000-Mile Power Train Warranty" on all of the "CARB" approved applications, backed by Dell Financial Services (largest underwriter of extended automotive warranties in the world). This supersedes_the factory power train warranty!_A Dell Financial representative_or an "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility" (which we are aggressively setting up across the country now) will be the only ones who can sign off on this. Kits must have been installed before 50K miles and had no modifications.

Even more good news...we will be offering an optional_"extended warranty" on the basic kit (no modifications at all). The consumer will have up to the full 3-years or 36,000-miles to decide if they wish to purchase this extended power train warranty, that will match, or "mirror" the remaining factory power train warranty (up to an additional 8-years) as long as the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it when installed! (The price for this will vary depending on the length of the factory warranty being matched, but don't anticipate it being more than an extra $200-to-$500.) The details of this are not all set yet, but as with the other warranty, will have to be "signed off" by a Dell Financial representative, or "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility". Unfortunately, any upgrades or mods (even our own "official" upgrades) will not be covered by this extended warranty package.

Green Dragon
02/21/2003, 11:28 AM
Well maybe for some of you but when my front S/C bearing went out after < 10000 miles it cost me $220 to have the front shaft drilled & tapped (Lubrication Design Faulty) & the bearing replaced. E Mails requesting repayment have thus far been ignored.

Dragon Bob:waag:

Dallas4u
02/21/2003, 12:01 PM
Hmmm... NOT good news.

AlaskaVX
02/21/2003, 12:37 PM
Ok so I have 40,000 miles on my VX, If I was to buy a SC and the extended warranty, my engine and transmission (power train) would be covered until 2011? If this is true, I believe I'm sold!

Does the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty start when you install the SC? If yes, does this mean if I purchased the extended warranty that it would be covered until 2014?

It doesn't really seem logical to me that they are willing to warranty a Super Charged engine longer than the factory warranty. But, if this is true, I'm starting to save up today!

edyavno
02/21/2003, 12:50 PM
Yes, definately good news. I don't plan to buy a SC in the next year, but with the warranty, it's definately a possibility within the next 2-3 years: my VX only has ~ 6k on it now.
Tone, do they plan to list the "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facilities" on their site? Having one in my area would be another important factor for me.

paultvx
02/21/2003, 02:58 PM
So if you install it yourself, you'll be SOL?

And how much are these authorized installers going to be charging? 10-12 hrs at usual shop rate of $50 to $60?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

newthings
02/21/2003, 03:20 PM
Question - "...only ones who can sign off on this".
Does this mean the SC must be put on by Alpine authorized shop to be covered?
Roy

Tone
02/21/2003, 03:53 PM
Whoa, ya’ll like to run with a topic!

GB, you might want to pickup the phone and give them a call - they are snowed under working on the kits and would have sent you a new nose assembly w/ bearing installed had they known you were having problems.

Dell Financial is willing to back the SC because they understand that it does not substantially increase the probability of having a powertrain issue and are willing to work with Isuzu for us should there be any problem. This warranty is to mirror the factory warranty, NOT extend it. The optional ‘extended’ warranty is just like what you would buy from the dealer or Warranty Gold (Dell does lots of business in those same kind of warranties) and like those warranties, are longer than manufacturer’s.

Self installed units are not necessarily a problem - they will probably just need an inspection by one of the authorized installers (like myself) to sign off on it. I can do that in Moab for those who are there. I do not have the sign off process for others at this time. Installation facilities that we certify will need to perform the installs for a reasonable charge along the lines of what is already is being charged - $7-800 - this is not about price fixing but about ensuring that experienced, qualified installers do it right every time.

Dallas4u
02/21/2003, 03:56 PM
Ok, so I had mine installed at around 34,000 (and was out of warranty because of time, not mileage).

Where do I stand on this?

Green Dragon
02/21/2003, 03:57 PM
John did send the nose & the bearing . It was the labor that I had to pay for.

Dragon Bob

AlaskaVX
02/21/2003, 03:59 PM
Anyone in Alaska that can do the inspection? :sighr2:

Hotsauce
02/21/2003, 06:47 PM
How about 'Virtual Inspection" take whatever pics are needed to show the installation, and get a signoff?

John C.

Tone
02/21/2003, 07:26 PM
Wow, $220 to change a bearing and the front nose of the SC - I want that job! Sorry to hear that - shouldn’t have taken 20 minutes.

Dallas4u
02/22/2003, 09:03 AM
Just to let everyone know... I had a shop in Dallas install my kit and it came out to $725 total.

It was a bit more expensive than I had thought, but the owner came out on a couple test drives with me until we had everything perfect. On the first drive there was a vaccum cap off in the rear of the kit and the idle was fluctuating. We took it back and they worked on it for another 30 minutes and we went on another test drive... everything worked fine. I felt very confident in his work and better about the cost of the labor.

AlaskaVX
03/03/2003, 04:24 PM
Tone, How would this work living up in Alaska? Is there a way? I will own a SC before 50,000 miles if things go as planned.

Btw.. that m/o for the muffler has been sent snail mail.

paultvx
03/03/2003, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I'd rather install it myself. There isn't a shop I know that I would trust. Plus, if the kit can be installed with hand tools, I don't see the point in spending $800 more just so someone else can get their hands dirty (and bust things in the process). If I install it myself, I can take my time, read the instructions and follow them carefully... something a usual shop guy wouldn't do.

I can just hear, "What? Supercharger? Oh yeah, no problem. Piece a ca... ut oh. Uhhh, you don't need that. Just an extra part."

VR4-Quest
03/14/2003, 08:39 AM
Tone, so if I have the Isuzu extended "wrap" warranty, which covers everything up to 10 year/120,000 miles, do I have till then to install the SC and still be covered, or is only the original 3 years 50,000 miles power train warranty that you have to come in under?

Thanks