06/23/2002, 10:36 AM
Well what does everyone think of this?

I noticed a few more pieces on the Calmini lift that just
springs and shocks.

Does any know the specs on the springs?

I think a homemade kit is very doable.

phines
06/23/2002, 12:41 PM
I've read that article many times since it was posted and after seeing Todd Adam's VX 2 years in a row (and others) that have done that lift, I've decided to go for it. I don't know much about the specs on those springs, but I'm going with the Valley Spring Works instead of the Calmini.

I believe Reg Hinnant is doing this lift too.
________
Petite Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/petite-girls/)

BigMike
06/23/2002, 03:36 PM
Ok when you guys get alittle more into it can you maybe post some specifics. I would like to do it to.

"That's OK... I think it hit the skidplate..." THAT'S HILARIOUS

Reg Hinnant
06/23/2002, 04:21 PM
;eeky;

Nope, no lift for me yet.
I'm still on the highway back & forth from Austin all the time & like the stock handling as it is.
However, if I were doing it, I would be on the phone with Todd asking him if his springs have sagged any. I have heard that complaint from more than one person with a lift kit

BigMike
06/23/2002, 06:30 PM
I just Emailed Swordy about the poor springs that came on the Calmini lift. He said they have remedied that problem.

The are alot of extras on the Calmini kit. What's up with that?
Does that make this Kit more stable than if you were to do it yourself?

VehiX
06/23/2002, 07:34 PM
Here are the extra's big mike is referring to:

3" Lift System for VehiCROSS - Complete system includes: 2 droop stop extension brackets, 2 front shocks w/boots, steel braided DOT approved brake lines, front bump stop spacers, new center cross member assembly, 2 rear shocks w/boots, rear coil springs, rear bump stop spacers, rear track bar extension bracket, rear brake line extension bracket, & full hardware and installation instructions.

When you lift a vehicle you are increasing the hieght of it When you do this you put stress on other components like ball joints controls arms track bar etc. The steel braided brake lines that come with the kit are longer than the stock ones to make up the difference in hieght and not cause such an awkward bend in the line (could cause the brakes to feel stiff)

I believe the extra pieces that come with the kit help to aleviate some of the strain on the the stock components.

A good idea is the contol arms as well when lifting the VX. Required to correct camber angle. Corrects angle of upper ball joint, and allows for more total suspension travel. Laser cut and formed from 3/8” plate steel. Comes complete with new urethane droop stop pad, pivot bushings , sleeves, and longer steel braided brake lines.

I think when I lift my VX I will go for the full calimini kit w/ the control arms ;Do;

Green Dragon
06/23/2002, 09:24 PM
I am going with the KISS theory ( keep it simple stupid) Can't see replacing the Isuzu shocks for any reason.

Installing variable rate OME springs & cranking the bars. Total Cost $125.

Bob F

Swordy
06/24/2002, 01:20 AM
$125.00 ?!?! WOW are those the 2.5" lift springs?

BTW, that hype about you need new control arms to correct the camber is a crock of ____! Those control arms would be nice to have, but not for that reason.

BigMike
06/24/2002, 06:31 AM
Swordy, that was going to be my next questions to you about the control arms.
But, you pretty much covered it.
I am sort of torn now between a do it yourself job and the Calmini kit. I am leaning toward the Calmini.
Still deciding on the whole lift Idea anyway.
-Mike

Green Dragon
06/24/2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Swordy
[B]$125.00 ?!?! WOW are those the 2.5" lift springs?
]

They are the OME 912 Variable rate approx 2.5 inch lift springs for the Trooper. Do'es WOW mean I paid too much?

Bob F

phines
06/24/2002, 07:34 AM
BigMike, Here's a compromise for you... skip the control arms and go with the Calmini lift kit, BUT see if they will sell you the kit without the shocks. There is NO way you need to replace those. That should cover any of the concerns you might be having and might just save you a few bucks too. :)

I'm a cheap fool so I'm doing the 'home' kit. :D
________
UGGS (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

phines
06/24/2002, 01:20 PM
Talked to someone at Calmini today. They were reluctant (and sounded a bit unhappy), but they sold me the rear coil springs from their lift kit. They will NOT honor a warranty on the springs without the kit, so I hope they don't have that sagging problem! :right:
________
Big Tits Webcam (http://www.****tube.com/categories/284/webcam/videos/1)

Daver
06/24/2002, 01:25 PM
How much $$$? I found the OME 912s for $132.

phines
06/24/2002, 01:29 PM
Essentially the same price... $65 each.
________
Sex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaRWmmfEfA)

Tonka
06/24/2002, 02:32 PM
Does anybody that has done it without the Calmini lift had any problems? I know that Swordy said he had some problems with his springs from the Calmini lift.

BigMeatVX
06/24/2002, 08:57 PM
Big Mike,

I have alot of experience with lifting the VX...
I took my VX to Cali to Calmini for the prototype lift kit...
Steve at Calmini does a very fine job engineering his parts and is quite knowlegable on Isuzu stuff.

The longer shocks ARE needed if you intend to use the rear bumpstop spacers; other wise you will lose some articulation.
And the shocks that come in the kit are great, also about 3" longer than the stock ones which allows for more travel.

The front shocks are long enough to lift it even more with NO problems.

I am using jeep grand cherokee springs on my VX now for 4" of lift

Lastly, the REAL improvement came when I flipped the upper ball joint mount...gives about 2" more drop travel.

I have a measured frt travel of 10" and rear travel of 16" with the sway bars removed.

Allan L
99 VX on 35's

Swordy
06/24/2002, 09:53 PM
No Grandpa Bob, I thought it was a very good price.

Phines,, You still will need some longer rear shocks if you want to gain any articulation in the back. The extended shock length determins how much. I it's too much, the springs fall out. If its not enough, your riding at the top of your travel and won't gain any articulation out of your new springs. Calmini's rear shocks, while maybe not the best, were chosen with your springset in mind. Also, if your planning on running bigger tires you MAY need front and rear bumpstop extensions to keep your new tires from hitting the top of the fenders when the front or rear suspensions fully articulate. (they would be easy to make with justy a sawzall and a drill though)

Regardless of who you buy the springs from you'll need a trackbar extension. Maybe the easiest way would be to buy the kit and chuck the front shocks. Or who knows, maybe you'll like them too. They were too soft for me. I'm using the stock fronts with Calmini rears. I'm going to try to find some different rear shocks, but these aren't bad.

When you put in the springs, since you'll need to get it re-aligned anyway, do yourself a favor and flip the ball joints at the same time. I will give your front end quite a bit more down travel for free. it makes ALOT of difference.

I know there was something else I needed to address here, but duhh.. I don't remember what it was.

Andy

phines
06/24/2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the info Swordy! I guess I just got a little excited about this whole thing and rushed into it. :D

I already have the new rims and tires coming in this week, so I'll try them out and and do some moderate off-road tests to see how much more I need to do with the suspension. I may need some more assistance from you when that time comes... I've got a lot to learn! Thanks again!
________
Water Bong (http://glassgallery.tumblr.com/glass-bongs/)

TimG
04/01/2003, 04:20 PM
I've been reading up on the ball joint flip. I've seen several mentions of ball joint spacers. What size did you use (if you used them) when you did yours Swordy?

Swordy
04/02/2003, 05:43 AM
I flipped my ball joints about a year ago. It is a great mod if you need the extra articulation for crawling. I did not use any spacers when I did mine. As your front A-arms drop, your CV joint angles increase, and at some pointyour CV joints can actually absorb as much torque as it is transmitting, causing premature CV breakage as well as torn CV boots. I don't want to scare you away from using the spacers if you need them, just be aware of some of the possible consequences. BTW, you can get much of the same effect by modifying your front droop stops. Then when you crank the torsion bars, your ball joint flip will straighten out your upper control arm geometry to a position that is closer to the stock position.

Andy

Francesco Rizzo
01/11/2006, 07:37 PM
seems like this thread was dead long ago, but I have the adjustible rancho shocks installed in my vx. I don't know if I'm missing something but I guess you can keep the stock shocks, if so would I be able to use these ranchos? How much would the kit cost minus the shocks?