PDA

View Full Version : EGR System Flush ?

t2p
11/16/2004, 02:26 PM
EGR System Flush ........ ?
Anyone familiar with this .....
My local dealer says my VX suffers from 80% 'blockage' ........ and this service should be done ......
???
Hmmm ..... Blockage ? ...... maybe the tech is a cardiac surgeon wanna-be ? .... (could have stayed at a Holiday Inn recently) .....
Does this 'procedure' require specialized equipment ........ or is this a 'stick a Gumout nozzle in a spot and spray liberally' ....... ???

Anita
11/16/2004, 02:29 PM
the EGR is a familiar culprit for a host of problems on our VX. Uneven idle to engine failure. The egr absolutely needs to be checked and cleaned on a regular basis. Not a hard thing to do - dont let them rip you off on price. Lots of info in this site about it.

t2p
11/16/2004, 02:36 PM
Anita:
Thanks .......... I did a search ........ found some good info ........
still would not mind some fresh/current info also ........
I'm starting to think this EGR ..... thing ...... is the root of all evil ..... and responsible for everything including world hunger .....

autox-racer
11/16/2004, 02:37 PM
when i installed my supercharger I was amazed to find my EGR tube in the intake blocked with carbon. I was also amazed to find the oil in the intake from the PVC gritty from said carbon. My EGR now has 100% blockage :) and has set a engine code that has little effect on performance. Only an annoying light.

I do feel a lot better about this arrangement.

Anita
11/16/2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by t2p

I'm starting to think this EGR ..... thing ...... is the root of all evil ..... and responsible for everything including world hunger .....

maybe the egr is to blame for the 'other' thread clogging. It needs a royal flush too. :naughty:

t2p
11/16/2004, 02:51 PM
I have felt a little 'carboned up' lately ...............
quick story ......
when I was a little pup, the neighborhood kids informed me that I should 'decarbonize' the exhaust pipe on my trusty Yamaha Mini Enduro. They instructed me to heat the pipe with a small torch and scrape, wire brush ..... whatever. At the ripe age of 11 , I did not have the proper tools .... no torch .... so I thought I would use gasoline - and for good measure, I would add some detergent. I poured gasoline into the pipe ...... added some detergent .... lit the pipe ..... and instantly had a wicked flame thrower ...... Whoa ! ..... can you say 'napalm'. Not nearly as portable as spraying a lit Gumout can - but much more imposing ...

Tone
11/16/2004, 03:35 PM
Clogged EGR can and will NOT cause engine failure! It is ONLY an emissions device/system to reburn SOME of the spent exhaust fumes and assist with cold starts. It WILL set a check engine light.

Clogged PCV valve will also NOT cause engine failure EXCEPT that after it blows the seals (rear main usually), the resulting low/lack of oil WILL cause engine failure very quickly. Clogged PVC does not usually set a code either...