PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint?

V12BMW
11/12/2004, 07:22 PM
OK, I have this annoying squeek coming from the front and maybe rear supension? Every single little crack/bump/curve i will hear this squeek it is driving me nutz!!!! SPAZZ thought it might be a ball joint. I only have ball joints in the front right? how much are new ones? can i replace this myself? what tools would i need?

Any Suggestions?

VCrossfan
11/12/2004, 07:45 PM
http://home.mchsi.com/~enjoylife/wsb/media/1066400/site1020.gif

Not sure what it could be, drive around with some WD-40 and test an area at a time. I here ya about driving you nutz. Is that you above??? Good luck..

Triathlete
11/13/2004, 05:16 AM
Dirt + bushings = squeek;eeky;

Just turn up your stereo....no more squeek!;Dy;

Hotsauce
11/13/2004, 07:49 AM
Jack up the front by the LCA, wiggle the tire and see if there is loose movement. if you find any, be sure its not wheel bearings before you blame the ball joint. They are easily changed, but about $60 each.

Squeeks are more likely bushings or dead shocks.

John C.

Radiologue
11/13/2004, 08:19 AM
Try oiling your hood latch and points of contact.
My VX was sqeeking like freaking crazy and was driving me crazy as well. I thought it was a squeeky suspension too. Then I read on here about greasing up the hood latch and it actually resolved the issue. I have to grease it up every couple of months or the squeeking comes back.

johnnyapollo
11/13/2004, 08:42 AM
The sway bar bushings will collect crud and cause a squeek when the body rolls a bit. You can get some Energy Suspension bushings and brackets that have greasable zerks - packing grease in there will stop them from squeeking. Make sure that's the cause though.

-- Best, John