PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems at only 8000 miles????

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 02:43 AM
The other day, I was getting on the highway and when I stepped on the gas, it was like as if the gears didn't catch, or something, because the rpm's went up and down real quick and I wasn't gaining any speed!!. Does that make sense?? I just got my VX lifted 3 in. and I have 285/75/16, BFGoodrich A/T KO'S. Does anybody know if the lift and heavier tires might be causing this problem with my tranny?? My VX only has 8,000 miles on it. And is only serviced by Isuzu. I'm perplexed! ya know?!

Tone
11/10/2004, 08:19 AM
Need a bit more info - your take off power will be well below what it was with stock tires due to the taller and heavier tires. How much do the rpms rise? Can you get it up to highway speed eventually? Have you checked the tranny fluid level?

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 08:43 AM
The rpm's went up to the red mark and back! I eventually got it up to 60 mph though. I haven't checked the tranny fluid, but, my VX was fully serviced, by Isuzu, in September. I'll check anyway. I've owned 4 other vehicles that were lifted and fitted with even bigger, heavier tires and smaller engines than the VX. And never have I experienced that before! Except, when my clutch was going out in my 4runner.

newthings
11/10/2004, 09:35 AM
Who are you using for Isuzu service in Portland?
Are you pleased with their work?
I am out on the coast at Seaside and someday will need factory service.
Thanks, Roy

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 10:51 AM
Hi Roy!!

I get my VX serviced at Braley and Graham Auto Mall, it's on SW Canyon RD in Beaverton. Their # is (503)292-8801. I have been satisfied, so far, by their work. I got my VX detailed, on the outside, for $165.00 and they did an outstanding job!! Totally worth the $$!!! They also, put new window regulators in my VX and they did nice work! They didn't mess up my custom tinted windows, which, was something I was a little afraid of!!

Tone
11/10/2004, 11:23 AM
Realize the gearing is only 4:30 so a change in tires will have a noticeable affect but not to the extent you explain. Sure sounds like the tranny is slipping which should have thrown the check tranny or tranny temp lights. I'd have it checked out before driving it much more and have the fluid at least drained to look for any particles.

biju
11/10/2004, 11:29 AM
LITTLELAURIE: Tried to PM you, but your PM box is full...

-biju.

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 11:33 AM
Bill! I deleted some of my pm's. Try again ,or, email me at; boybird1@netzero.com

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 11:37 AM
Hi Tone!!
My 'check-lights' didn't light up or anything when that incident occurred. I'm wondering if I should of had my gears changed. The guys that installed my lift said that it wouldn't be needed.

Tone
11/10/2004, 03:20 PM
Try emailing her...

nater
11/10/2004, 10:20 PM
There's something about some sort of vacuum module going out on the transmission that causes it to rev way up between shifts. It's not a big deal to replace.

I don't know any more details than this.

Nate

SGT.BATGUANO
11/11/2004, 12:12 AM
I believe you're referring to the trans. mode selector switch, but that causes other weird problems.

Sounds more like the old intake gskt. scenario.

Maugan_VX
11/11/2004, 04:35 AM
your lift didn't happen to be a body lift did it?

After I Body lifted the trooper, I had to mess around with the shifter link to make sure it didn't pop out of drive accidentally.

Tone
11/11/2004, 07:14 AM
Tranny is electronic - NO vacuum lines run to or from it. Mode selector switch when bad or failing causes the dash shift illuminator light to go out along with extremely hard shifts, typically 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st but you can usually feel and hear the rear end being impacted by the shift.

Engine idle up and down is symtomatic of cracked/leaking intake gaskets.

newthings
11/11/2004, 10:34 AM
Tone
Since I moved from 5600 ft. to 100 ft., I have not had any fast idle problems when stopped. When I lived in LA and commuted to the high altitude, I had consistant fast idle after stopping, upon arrival.
Their may be a number of causes for fast idle, but mine is/was related to altitude.
Roy

nater
11/11/2004, 10:05 PM
Okay, right, so there are no vacuum lines running to it, but I swear I heard something about revving up between upshifts?

Anybody remember hearing something about this?

Nate