PDA

View Full Version : My Site Is Up... Finally!

Joe_Black
11/08/2004, 10:44 PM
It looks like crap, so if any of y'all can explain to me in prain engrish how to make my frames work I'd just be all kinds of giddy. I'm a total web newb, use FP2K and ain't gonna switch due to comfort level. ;pp; In any case, take a look and let me know what you think: Joe Black's VehiCROSS Site (http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/VX/)

johnnyapollo
11/09/2004, 03:29 AM
Hey Joe,

Do yourself a favor and abandon frames. It's easier to load your menus from an include file. Does your host support ASP?

-- John

dkmiller68
11/09/2004, 04:14 AM
Great photos on tranny fluid change. Thanks for taking the time to put a website together.

Joe_Black
11/09/2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
Do yourself a favor and abandon frames. It's easier to load your menus from an include file. Does your host support ASP?

-- John Use the same host you do, thanks to your suggestion. ;pg; Ya lost me on the "include file", told ya I'm a noobian. I'll give ya a ring and maybe get me an edumacation.

Thanks DK, hope to have more soon and to keep adding useful info.

VehiCrazy
11/09/2004, 06:11 AM
Looks good. I realize its a Vcross site, but could ya maybe squeeze in a pic or two of some old CATs??;Db;

transio
11/09/2004, 07:47 AM
ASP / SHTML Include:

<!--#Include File="menu.asp"-->

PHP Include:

<?php include('menu.php'); ?>

transio
11/09/2004, 07:48 AM
PS - if you're interested in ease of maintenance, why don't you look into a CMS like Wiki or PHPNuke? They really make updating content in your site a lot easier, and you don't need to know the technical stuff.

kpaske
11/09/2004, 07:59 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but i guess this is on topic. I've also got a web site which I designed myself using very basic html. I tried to use style sheets to simplify my design, but it never really did work for what I was trying to do (include a standard header and set of buttons on each page). I'd also like to include a simple message board and private mail, but don't really know what to use. I need to stick with open source / freeware. Would Wiki or PHPNuke work for me?

driver3
11/09/2004, 09:17 AM
Where does the transmission filter go? Those instructions are great, but I know we have a filter that you can change also, or is that for the xfer case?

Very nice site btw.. good tech documents

xdfarrx
11/09/2004, 09:28 AM
Joe the link doesn't work???

thedutchguy
11/09/2004, 11:23 AM
Really nice Joe, all those plans where do you get the time?
48 hours in a day over there in the US?;Dy;

Looking forward to your ethanol write up.
Gathering equipment at the moment for building a still, fermentationtank and a ss tank for storing E85.
I'm also looking int converting to LPG, found a system for under $2500,- with electronic injection.
Stil have to work out how to place a tank underneath. Got an idea?

transio
11/09/2004, 11:46 AM
kpaske,

CSS is presentation data. If you're using CSS design, you should have no presentation logic in your HTML. It's the new way of doing things.

On the other hand, that has nothing really to do with content management, which makes adding and updating content easier. PHPNuke by itself won't allow you to have message boards, but I believe there's a phpBB plugin module for it. You should check it out.

thebear54
11/10/2004, 03:25 AM
Hey Hey,
I guess I did it the "easy" way...I designed a site and had someone build it up for me....your's looks good. I am still updating mine every month but check out what I have so far.
clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/isuzuvehicrossowners/
Keep up the good work.....John;py;

jimbo
11/10/2004, 06:37 AM
Hey Joe, finally something I might be able to help YOU with.

I can't even see your navigation in my usual browser (Mozilla Firefox). I have to load Internet Explorer (yuck). Some people may not have java enabled (I'm assumimg that's what they are cause my browser is asking for a plugin) so using applets (the buttons) on your page is a little iffy.

I don't even remember how to use frames (duh), I don't think you need em. Your navigation is so easy and your site so small that the nav can just stay with the page it's on (unless your site starts to get real big). I think the simpler the better.

I hacked something up in a few minutes this morning. I tried to do something that is easy for you to work on and update.

This page uses nested tables, not exactly the cleanest code in the world, but I find it quick and easy to write and work on.

How about this:

cut and paste from here -

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

<html>
<head>
<title>
Joe Black's VehiCROSS Site - Home
</title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
a.nav:visited {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana; font-size: 12px; color: black; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none}
a.nav:link {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana; font-size: 12px; color: black; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none}
a.nav:hover {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana; font-size: 12px; color: #aaaaaa; text-decoration: none}
a.nav:active {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana; font-size: 12px; color:#aaaaaa; text-decoration: none}

-->
</style>

</head>
<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff" link="#191970" vlink="#551aa0" alink="#fe0000">
<table cellspacing="0" width="600" bgcolor="#ffffff" align="center" valign"top">
<tr>
<td>
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" color="#000000" size="+3">
<b>
Joe Black's VehiCROSS Site
</b>
</font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#aaaaaa">
<table width=100% border=0 cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td width=99% bgcolor="#dddddd" align="right">

<a href="index.html" class="nav">H o m e</a>

<font face="Arial,Helvetica" color="#aaaaaa" size="3">
<b>
|
</b>
</font>
<a href="Projects.htm" class="nav">P r o j e c t s </a>

<b>
|
</b>
</font>
<a href="Technical.htm" class="nav">T e c h n i c a l </a>

<b>
|
</b>
</font>
<a href="Links.htm" class="nav">L i n k s &nbsp</a>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<!-- Begin Content -->
<table width="90%" align="center">
<tr><td>
<br>
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" color="#000000" size="2">
<p><font face="Arial"><b>Welcome!</b>&nbsp; In these pages you will find info on
projects and modifications I hope to undertake for the VehiCROSS community.&nbsp;

You will also find helpful articles for performing basic maintenance,
performance modifications and other items of interest to the VX owner.&nbsp;
This is most definitely a work in progress, so please be patient as content is
added.</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial">Thanks for visiting!</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial">Joe Black</font></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p align="center"><b><font face="Arial" color="#000080" size="5">* * * * N E W S
* * * *</font></b></p>
<p align="left"><font size="3" face="Arial"><font color="#000080"><b>11.09.04:</b></font>&nbsp;
Finally got pics up and article for changing tranny fluid.&nbsp; Look under
technical.&nbsp; Thanks to Jonnie from vehicross.info for bringing his IronMan
over for me to experiment on this past weekend.&nbsp; We tried alternate methods
of tranny service on both his VX and my lovely fiancée's Trooper.&nbsp; Didn't
get quite as much fluid out as hoped, but still better than 70%.&nbsp; Since
Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF is fully compatible there'll be no issues and only
improved performance.&nbsp; Anyway, thanks to Jonnie again for helping a bit
with this page as well.&nbsp; I can't seem to grasp how to make the navigation
frame at the top stick with all the other pages, so bear with me while you

&quot;navigate&quot; the site.&nbsp; The &quot;back&quot; button in your browser
is your friend!&nbsp;&nbsp;</font></p>

<p align="left"><font face="Arial" size="3"><font color="#000080"><b><font size="3">11.04.04:</font>&nbsp;
</b></font><font color="#000000">After a few false starts I've finally managed
to get this going.&nbsp; Whew!&nbsp; Wish I could be like Scotty from Star Trek
and deliver on my work <i>ahead</i> of time!&nbsp; LOL!&nbsp; In any case, I
appreciate the support and patience of everyone that's expressed interest in my
plans.&nbsp; It means a lot and I'm really thankful!</font></font></p>

</font>
<br>
</td></tr></table>
<!-- end content -->
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#aaaaaa">
<table width=100% border=0 cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td width=99% bgcolor="#dddddd">
<b>
&nbsp;
</b>
</font>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="center">
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" color="#aaaaaa" size="1">
<b>
copyright Joe Black
</b>
</font>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

- stop cutting here

This could be used as a template for the other pages, I could do a graphic for the top if you let me know what you would want.

Anyways good job on setting the page up. If you hate my idea I can still help with something else.

email me if you like, if you can't see this for any reason I'll put it up somewhere on the web.

thanks for your help in the past

Jim

P.S. - I am working on a vehicross site for myself but I have no content currently (just a design and domain name)

jimbo
11/10/2004, 07:04 AM
I like Pmachines products for easy updating.

http://www.pmachine.com/

I still use pmachine free on my writing site, it's a weblog program. I don't know if they give anything away free anymore, their new thing is called expression engine.

Setting up a site with php (or similar) and mysql is a quite a bit of work though. (as moncha could tell ya I'm sure) ;Db;

johnnyapollo
11/10/2004, 07:48 AM
Hey Joe,

I'll put something easy together for you today. I like Jimbo's basic layout, however you should stay away from using font tags and stick with classes and styles.

The navigation, style sheet and footer will all be include files (you just cut and paste the include code for each page, so if you need to update anything you just update one file - the code cascades to all pages). It'll be something really easy for you to use.

It'll be coming your way via email shortly.

-- Best, John

jimbo
11/10/2004, 08:06 AM
however you should stay away from using font tags and stick with classes and styles.
I totally agree.

If you have to be a purist about it. ;Db;

I still am comfortable (and faster when designing) with font tags, as well as using tables for layout, both no-nos anymore.

This layout was also based on an older template I already had on my hard drive as well.

I'm not a pro.

Glad it's under control.

johnnyapollo
11/10/2004, 08:25 AM
I don't really like using div tags for all formatting - I still tend to format the page using tables. I do use CSS for colors, font attributes, etc. The simpler the better.

-- Best, John

Joe_Black
11/10/2004, 01:27 PM
I feel loved. :mbrasd:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help! ;Dy;

transio
11/10/2004, 03:36 PM
If you want more help, try posting something to www.webdesignforums.net <--- I'm a moderator there. Helpful web design community.