PDA

View Full Version : Another VX down... possibly

crager34
11/06/2004, 01:09 PM
While driving home Friday night the 5th, a car in front of me made some sudden changes..including slamming on the brakes. I was far enough back to see and was able to slow down and not hit anyone. That was when I got nailed from behind by a van going about 50 or so. The hit turned me 90 degress and I went head on into a guard rail... this was on a highway. I guess I hit around 20 - 25 mph. Funny thing about that is...my airbags didn't go off, so I touched my head against the steering wheel a bit. Seat belt on... a little whip lash and I am fine. So... where does that leave the VX? I won't know till next week, but am hopeful it's repairable. Otherwise, I may have some parts to sell (wink). Pics will be posted early next week. To me, the damage doesn't look that bad, but what I am thinking is due to the rarity of the VX, the adjusters will just total it (sniff, sniff). The driver of the van was ticketed and everyone was legit with licenses and insurance (yippie).

Wulfgott
11/06/2004, 01:26 PM
First off, Glad you sound like you are pretty much okay. However, did you go to a Doc? (just to make sure)? I am assuming the joker behind you is at fault? proboably not paying attention or something. Hopefully he had a decent insurance company if he is.

I am curious though, you said your air bags did not go off? Anyone know at what speed they are supposed to deploy?

I will put a black ribbon on my VX's mirror if yours does not come out of its coma. (that is as soon as I get it back from the dealer. They have had it 2 weeks now waiting for parts on a warranty repair. WTH they are waiting for still I am not sure, ..)

MZ-N10
11/06/2004, 01:50 PM
i duno wat speeds the airbags were suppose to deloy...but i hit a f150 goin 50mph and it didnt deploy, but i didnt hit it square in the center of the car...so im guessing the sensors r near the grill....
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

dutchie
11/06/2004, 02:24 PM
Good to hear that you're ok...

Green Dragon
11/06/2004, 02:57 PM
Read this

http://www.totallossscheme.com/

Wulfgott
11/06/2004, 04:08 PM
Heh, it is funny you bring up the Total Loss Vehicle thing as being a scam...as that is exactly how I felt in June of this year.

My 1993 Mitsubishi Pickup was totalled out by the insurance. I was not even in an accident. I was on the 57 freeway here in So. Cal, heading to work and this damned truck (semi-) was hauling junk, automotive junk to be specific. Anyway, the freeway is kind of bumpy where I was behind it (near the 57-60 interchange) and I was in the far right lane a decent distance behind it as my exit was coming up. Next thing I know. T-unk, Thunk, BANG!!!! Sounded like a frigging gunshot and my front windshield has a big target (about the size of a bowling ball) in the passenger side. Something bounced out of the truck hit the ground in front of me, bounced up, left a skid mark crease in my hood as it rolled up, into the windshieldwipe arm, bounced then did the windshield in. Followed by a satisfying thud and a nice grapefruit sized dent in the top of my roof. A couple seconds later (like 2-3 max) I am forced to try and dodge another piece falling out of the truck. Something around the size of one of those lids off a plastic bin. Like 2 foot by 4 foot and all mangled looking. So I try and swerve out of the way (could only really swerve to the right) because of traffic. The thing leaves a nice huge dent in my driver door and scratches all the way along the truck. Anyway, to make this long story short. Small dents in the hood, grapefruit dent in the roof, and windshield destroyed, in addition to the driver door having some nice damage...and my nice 1993 well kept pickup with only like 98k in miles on it is "totalled" by the Insurance. Because they claim the truck was only worth 1500. The repairs were going to be around 2700 not counting the windshield. So, I spent a couple months arguing the value of the truck with them, and finally got them to give me 3000 flat for my once excellent condition pickup that they totalled out. I then bought back the truck for $500. Which is what they said they would get for it at auction. (incidently I was at an auction trying to pick up a repo's Suburban, and there were two mitsubishi trucks same body style that were in way worse condition that mine that sold at auction for 2300, and 2700. Both were inoperable. I replaced the window at a local shop for 140 bucks, and I am slowly trying to get the dents out of her.

The main thing I am bummed about though is it is hard as hell to sell a salvaged title vehicle.

Another thing, even though I had the license plate of the truck that dropped the stuff, and another good samaritan actually had a photo of the truck, and my vehicle behind it because they witnessed what was happening, there was nothing they could do about it and I lost my deductible.

I hate insurance companies.

SGT.BATGUANO
11/06/2004, 04:15 PM
Wulf,
Did you try civil court or small claims court?

Sounds like a case of, failure to safely secure the load , to me.

Crager,

If they do try to total it, DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST SETTLEMENT OFFER.

You should start doing research on finding a vehicle in comparable condition and print copies.

If you need more info , let me know. I've been through this and got a decent settlement from Farmers ins. (one of the companies mentioned in the total loss scheme).

jayfotos
11/06/2004, 04:58 PM
I'm curious about the air bag thing, if that's things faulty.....oh boy!:rolleyes:

Tone
11/06/2004, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash. Airbags ONLY deploy in a small number of accidents depending upon angle and speed of impact. I was hit almost head on in front driver's side quarter and all down the side in my first VX and it did not deploy either.

Rear enders are tough - I stongly believe in the rear brake light flasher I offer on my page for notifying drivers behind you of impending problems such as you describe. Even though I am used to this item, when we get together and caravan somewhere (most all of the TX VXes have them) my foot brakes before my brain tells it to when the VXes in front start to slow - it really is an amazing effect.

transio
11/06/2004, 06:43 PM
About 4 years ago, I was driving my 9 month old BMW M Coupe to work, and lost control of her trying to avoid some people in the road (don't ask). I tore through a couple palm trees and she was demolished (see below). The insurance company just barely called it a total loss. Their formula for calculating the loss was if the cost to repair exceeds 80% of the resale value of the vehicle.

I got fortunate on my settlement, because the car was so rare that they had no way of determining its value other than taking the average of cars for sale at the time (all 2 of them). So they cut me a check for 39k, which was 2500 more than I owed. It still cost me 6k to own the car for 9 months, but I could have done MUCH worse. I was happy enough by the fact that no one got killed in the accident... most of all me!

http://www.stevenmoseley.com/galleries/m_coupe/001.jpg http://www.stevenmoseley.com/galleries/m_coupe/002.jpg

thedutchguy
11/07/2004, 02:01 AM
What happened to the wreck/engine?

crager34
11/07/2004, 07:18 AM
My VX's retail value is just over $14k and I only own $9k. Not to bad if that is where I need to go with it. If so... I see a Proton in my future. ;Db;

crager34
11/08/2004, 08:46 AM
Not sure why the pics in my gallery turned out rough, but....

Anita
11/08/2004, 09:22 AM
I've noticed pics in the gallery with a 'film' over them. I found that if you click the picture several times the film will disappear.

Sorry to see your baby hurt. Hope all goes well to get your VX repaired to your satisfaction.

azskyrider
11/08/2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by crager34
Not sure why the pics in my gallery turned out rough, but....

could have been the # "666"

;eekr;

Moncha
11/08/2004, 08:01 PM
Glad you are ok and hope all works out well.

I am working on the "film" problem and will have it taken care of in the release of the new forum..

crager34
11/15/2004, 08:44 AM
The adjuster said the damage looked to be around $7500 and was just over 50% of the value. He added there maybe some more cost, but as far as frame damage, he didn't see any and doesn't think so. Further evaluation will come when my VX get up in the air and the underside looked at.

So... good news I guess... Now.. if anyone knows of a solid repair facility in the Cincinnati, Ohio area... please pass along the name(s).

Anita
11/15/2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Moncha

I am working on the "film" problem and will have it taken care of in the release of the new forum..

oooooooooooo... new forum!;Dr; ;Dy; ;Do; ;Db;

Maugan_VX
11/15/2004, 10:50 AM
oooooooooooo... new forum!

Translation:

Slower, with more superfluous features.

Anita
11/15/2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
Translation:

Slower, with more superfluous features.

Knowing the creator, I highly doubt that.;wtf;

Maugan_VX
11/15/2004, 12:26 PM
pardon me,

its just the trend in forum software these days.

no offense intended to its esteemed creator.

transio
11/15/2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
Translation:

Slower, with more superfluous features...

its just the trend in forum software these days. Explain, please.

crager34
11/16/2004, 05:24 AM
I'm guessing by the topic switch, no one who has replied has any input as to a body shop.

t2p
11/16/2004, 10:05 AM
Crager:
Also sorry to hear about your crash.
Make sure the adjuster ....... body shop manager/foreman ........ whatever ....... whomever ........ pays close attention to the trunk floor and the frame rails over and near the rear end.
A few months ago, I saw a VX that had minor damage in the rear and front .......... it did not look that bad. I was just informed last week that the VX was 'totaled' because the trunk floor had sustained damage ....... and the frame had sustained some damage. This VX did not look that bad - I don't believe the quarters (rear quarter panels) sustained any damage - maybe minor - but yet the damage to the trunk floor and frame was significant.
OUCH.