PDA

View Full Version : Sammy or Dave?

Tyler
11/05/2004, 09:12 AM
Ok, any Van Halen fans out there in the VX family? My best friend since kindergarten, and my girlfriend (were all all 30 something) went to St.louis in July and saw there current tour. The show was incredible. The best VH concert we had seen, and we've seen alot.

Question is who do you all think the best front man was? Excluding Gary Cherone of course, Dave or Sammy.

Oh, there is a VX in the story, someone backed into it while in the parking garage and gouged the front bumper and broke my driving light.

My vote hands down is Sammy.

Dallas4u
11/05/2004, 09:16 AM
Dave... Sammy is too mainstream. Dave is a total nutcase, but in his day he alone was at least 50% of their gusto.

My opinion, of course.

Triathlete
11/05/2004, 09:24 AM
I like Sammy BUT DLR was the main attraction live with all his stage antics. Dave was definately a showman!:dance:

VehiCrazy
11/05/2004, 12:02 PM
Dave. No question. Just listen to the vocal performance on VH1 through Diver Down. Sammy could NEVER touch that. I liked Sammy way better in Montrose. BUT, as far as Sammy as a person, he is WAY better than Dave.

jimbo
11/05/2004, 12:08 PM
Dave ... hands down ... stopped being VanHalen when he left and I stopped being a fan. Still a good band but not in the same league.

I think Eddie is a chain-smokin pr#ck. Maybe I'm just jealous cause he got Valerie. (had her picture on my wall at one time)

I can remember the week the first album came out (yes real LP) playing it over and over and over.

Heraclid
11/05/2004, 03:57 PM
Definitely Sammy Hagar.

I can't drive 55....

Tone
11/05/2004, 05:38 PM
After hanging with Sammy for his BD in Cabo and seeing him with this iteration of VH, I have to say he IS the consumate musical entertainer of our time. True, DLR was a motivating factor in VH's birth and success but reached the end of his viability many years ago. I saw the Sam and Dave show in several different venues and it was painfully clear that Dave is only hanging on to his past while Sammy is moving on and becoming better. There is NO muscian today that provides the crowd interaction and appreaciation that Sam does - go to any show and you'll understand quickly.

BTW, he will NOT be with VH past the end of this tour...Eddie is doing what Eddie has always done and you can't have 2 Alpha males in band...

TDUB
11/05/2004, 06:26 PM
Sammy!!!???? You guys are on glue.

WyrreJ
11/05/2004, 07:08 PM
I went to high school for a year or two with Aaron Hagar, don't remember much about him except for a peculiar obsession with making real Freddy Krueger claw-gloves in art class.

And, I think Cabo-Wabo Tequila is great stuff, it's my second choice for an affordable tequila after Padron.

BUT, VH was never the same without Dave. It was just a different band and if it weren't named for Eddie and his brother, I think that big of a change would have warranted a new name.