PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen filled tires

MrCrowley
11/04/2004, 05:57 AM
I was talking with a few guys yesterday afternoon, and then proceeded to search online about inert gas filled tires. You can use nitrogen or argon fairly easy, but I think the most accepted is nitrogen. From what I have read this stuff is dry and has no moisture so cool and warm temperatures cause less pressure difference which is a plus going from season to season. Some peole have claimed that they havent had to "top off" their tires in years. There is also information on the inert gas having better effect on the heat dissipation of a tire. The lack of oxygen and moisture in the tire has some really kooky scientific purpose of not causing corrosion on the aluminum alloys, and therefore doesnt cause fine particles to become blown around and causing the valve seal to not seat properly. Also, the nitrogen atoms dont permeate through the tires' rubber as much so this prevents loss that way. I know a VXer in Japan has reference to having gas filled tires, so someone already has a VX and does it. Since all aircraft have nitrogen in their tires I think because of some FAA law, and racing teams use it too, there is abundant reliability information. Plus, aircraft use it because under some conditions a tire is actually flammable under extreme heat situations. This goes for all tires so even the moto fiends can do it too. I have access to all the inert gasses at work, so I might try a different gas in each tire and measure temperature on each tire after a spirited drive home. If anyone wants to find out more, just search on it. Maybe we can get other thoughts on this.

thedutchguy
11/04/2004, 06:22 AM
It's common practice over here!
If you go to any tyre / quick fit shop in the Netherlands, your tires wil be filled with nitrogen.

KBoogie
11/04/2004, 06:32 AM
I had nitrgen put in both my BMW and RX7 when i got new tires. The guy at the tire shop told me it stops dry rot? I have since sold the RX7 and left the BMW to my sister since i moved for college. I had no problem out of them at all, and as far as topping off the tires, the BMW is still right at the orginal tire pressure.
just some additonal input!
KB

SlowPro48
11/04/2004, 07:02 AM
I've been running 78% nitrogen for years and it seems to be working just fine. It's readily available and it's FREE!!!!

:D

MrCrowley
11/04/2004, 09:07 AM
LOL;pb; But what was the humidity????????????

Andrey
11/04/2004, 11:35 AM
so where to get it ? I do not think any shop will have nitro...

MrCrowley
11/04/2004, 12:17 PM
Call a few gas suppliers. I know at work we pay for the gas, and get the bottle with it. When you refill they just swap bottles. Some pro speed shops might have it if they do any racing. Most shops like that have a shop because it pays for their hobby!

ocwiley
11/05/2004, 08:46 AM
all costco tire shops now use nitro and they will change it out if you have bought the tires there!