PDA

View Full Version : car vs. truck

Chopper
11/03/2004, 05:13 PM
What exactly specifies this vehicle as a car/truck. Can't be the weight, plenty of cars weigh more.... cargo space? Honda Civic hatchback has that...body on frame? Not toooo long ago almost all cars were made that way.Cause Isuzu sez so? WHAT!? Seems like a big, tall car to me.

autox-racer
11/03/2004, 06:13 PM
Well I just renewed my plates online in Michigan and just realized my registration says the body style is a STA-WAGON.

So I don't own a truck or car. I have a station wagon VX

WyrreJ
11/03/2004, 07:11 PM
I think it needs some faux wood panelling over the cladding.

Heraclid
11/03/2004, 07:19 PM
Station wagons weren't cool any more so along came minivans.

Minivans weren't cool enough or manly enough any more so along came the SUV.

SUV's are in many ways just station wagons with a new marketing spin.

CSTYLES
11/03/2004, 07:25 PM
ruxpin, looks like forbes magazine agrees with you.
They comment that the line between trucks, suvs, and cars have been blurred.
especially thanks to cross-over designs like the vx

www.forbes.com/columnists/forbes/2004/1115/154.html (http://)

dre

Heraclid
11/03/2004, 07:59 PM
Trying to be all things to all people is an exercise in futility and generally ends up in doing no one thing exceptionally well. One of the things I love about the VX is that it was never intended to have mass market appeal. That is what allows it to do what it does do so very well.

nocturnalVX
11/03/2004, 10:39 PM
Yes! Oh, let's not forget Urban Assault Vehicle, Rock Crawler, Jeep Rescue Vehicle... am I forgetting anything?

MachineVX
11/04/2004, 03:32 AM
My insurer has the VX listed as a sport wagon.

omegavx
11/04/2004, 05:48 AM
The state of Indiana has it listed in their "Almighty" book as a truck.

Chopper
11/04/2004, 04:15 PM
ALL THIS IS FINE... but what makes a truck a truck? A pickup is obvious- but how bout a Subie Brat? ( for you youngsters, that is a 2 door Baja with seats in the bed) or a Baja? Lots of things like fuel & pollution regs. , saftey requirements depend on this designation, and the designation seems pretty arbitrary. I know manufacturers GO FOR a truck label so they don't have to meet certain expectations. Till recently, the seat belt laws in many places did not apply to trucks. In the Northeast, many streets are off limits to TRUCKS, and your license plate reflects the status of your vehicle(truck,car,RV,etc.). I like the (pick one) hatch back, 3 door, wagon name. But somehow, none of them really work, do they? LOVE THIS CAR just got home from uh, running it a bit.

SGT.BATGUANO
11/06/2004, 01:58 AM
Higher clearance and payload, full ladder frame, heavy duty steering/suspension/brakes.

I think I saw something on a history of pick-up trucks that said they were made initially for farmers to do things more efficiently than a car or tractor.

WyrreJ
11/06/2004, 05:37 AM
I always liked the UAV designation.
Urban Assault Vehicle.

Bill Brown
11/06/2004, 10:32 AM
Discount Tires ( http://www.discounttires.com/ ) has the VX in their Isuzu truck category when you're looking for tires.

StormTROOPER
11/06/2004, 12:46 PM
I can't believe anyone would even consider the VX as car-ish, with the exception of the SEATS & DOOR PANELS it's definitely a truck. The BEST example of a car-truck blend is the new Ford Freestyle, the only thing that makes it more car than truck is the low ground clearance. The VX a car :confused: just look at exibit 1. SPAZZ's avitar, I rest my case. (no car can do that)

Tone
11/06/2004, 06:50 PM
Isuzu has only makes trucks for awhile now....depends on your city / state how it is titled/registered.

Chopper
11/06/2004, 06:57 PM
to me , a truck is a vehicle designed to perform "work"...a tool... a machine, whose form itself, is dictated by the commercial duties it was created to carry out. Any other uses are a "bonus". The white Ford Van is a truck, if it never carries a paint brush. Minivans are family/people movers..."minivans"... no matter, what they are used for.
Would appear, your local DOT has the final and ultimate(financial)say. I don't think these vehicles any more "truck" than a Wrangler.

OZ VX
11/06/2004, 07:27 PM
A truck is something that weighs about 16 tonnes. Tows about 25 tonnes or more.

Vehicross weighs about 1700kgs. No comparison. In Australia it would be called a Four Wheel Drive, but the term is slowly being changed to SUV.

below is a real truck.
http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/29_rt2.jpg

In the outback they are normally about 3 trailers.

Chopper
11/06/2004, 08:07 PM
Back in the early 90's I drove triple 45's across the Boston to Buffalo route. Down here I drove doubles for quite a while. WOW! Nothing like that brother. THAT'S A TRUCK!!!

SGT.BATGUANO
11/06/2004, 08:35 PM
Keep telling yourself , "IT'S NOT A TRUCK" when your yankin' some jeep out of a ditch this winter ;) !

Chopper
11/07/2004, 10:02 AM
Summer......Winter.......not a whole lotta difference here. Hey OZ, I'll have to post a picture of my Kookaburra for you.

OZ VX
11/07/2004, 10:32 PM
crafty things, they will steal a sausage right out of your hand. Does yours ever "laugh"? they are really loud when the do.

Chopper
11/08/2004, 03:07 PM
This time of year, he never shuts up. Neighbors claim they love him... my wife hates him... starts at 4.5am. Go to the gallery, his picture is there. I've family down your way, they can't believe anyone would want one as a pet. Don't know... I've found him delightful for 8years now.