PDA

View Full Version : Whew! My lift and other mods are finally finished!

LITTLELAURIE
11/03/2004, 12:00 AM
I have completely decked out my beloved VX and the response is insane! Actually, it's gotten to be down right dangerous!!! I have almost been side swiped twice in the last couple of days , due to people driving up on me , trying to figure out what my VX is! I 've taken off every decal, so, it's truly got the 'under cover', 'spy hunter', thing going for it now! I just love my VX!! It makes me feel alive!

Triathlete
11/03/2004, 08:09 AM
Lets see some pics already!http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/images/smiles/new_shocked.gif

biju
11/03/2004, 08:43 AM
Here, here! Pictures!!!

-b.

VX crazy
11/03/2004, 09:58 AM
Yup, need to see pics! I just put new tires on mine, 31x12.50 and was wondering what happened to your performance with the 33x12.50's? I am way hating the lack of power, looking more seriously at a supercharger, just cant stand to not be the first in the pack!;Dp;

LITTLELAURIE
11/10/2004, 02:25 AM
HHHMMM. after having the 3in. susp. lift and 285/75/16's put on, there is definately a difference in 'balls' and cornering ability!! And of course, it guzzles the gas a lot faster! That's probably the most noticable change! But! it was all worth it!!!!!! I'll have pictures up in the next couple of days!

Triathlete
11/10/2004, 01:07 PM
You can get that pep back with axle gear changes. Spazz and a few others have done this and can tell you a bit more. As far as the cornering, that goes with the terrritory with taller sidewalls. Thats why all the ricers have those itty bitty rubberbands for tires.

AlaskaVX
11/10/2004, 02:15 PM
YAYYYYY just got mine back from the shop all lifted!!!!! I am running 33x12.5's and there is a huge differance in power and braking. Cornering still seems to be OK. Will post pics as soon as I can!

Kahuna
11/10/2004, 09:19 PM
Here is mine with a 3" lift and 185/75/16 on stock rims

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/910vx3inch.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/910vx3inch2.jpg

Your right about the gas milage.....it sucks! However, I disagree with the handling. For most of us, we just our VX's around town...make 90 degree turns at corners and don't race down the steet. Under those circumstances....it's NORMAL. Although I do like speeding around town and taking turns faster than I should. Okay.....I did lose some "balls".

LITTLELAURIE
11/11/2004, 09:39 PM
Hey Kahuna!!

What kind of camera did you use to take the pics of your VX?? I haven't put a pic up of mine, because, my digital camera sucks -and I just can't seem to get a clear take!!

Thanks!
Laurie

Kahuna
11/11/2004, 10:04 PM
It's a Sony Mavica 5.0 mega-pixel CCD Camera which records directly to mini CD.

LITTLELAURIE
11/30/2004, 12:33 AM
I finally have a couple of pictures up in the gallary of my VX! The pictures are a little rough though! My camera sucks! Does anyone out there have any suggestions on a digital camera with descent battery life and that produces really clear photos for under $500.00?? Thanks folks!

LITTLELAURIE
11/30/2004, 01:59 AM
I had super swampers on my old Tacoma and boy are those heavy tires!! The tires that I have on my VX are 285/75/16, BF Goodrich A/T K/O'S. They aren't too heavy of a tire, so, maybe, all I need is to change my gears to 456? Did you see my rig????

SPAZZ
11/30/2004, 02:05 AM
look sgood...but, you need to trim that beak in the front of the front tires....look in my gallery and you will see...even if you click on Gallery and look at most recent posted pics...you will see what I'm talking about.

Sounds like you just need 456's...but IF you can find the 477's..by all means nab em...even if you don't plan to use (you should) I wold love a set and could pay you what you paid for em...kind of like hook a brother up. I will be sending a money order this week to that guy to ship those shocks. Thanks again.

LITTLELAURIE
11/30/2004, 02:17 AM
You know what's funny? In the calmini instructions, they say that they recommend the 285/75's and there will be no trimming needed! Well, guess what?! They had to do quite a bit of trimming and they still rub when I go down an incline and crank the wheel! I'm not planning on getting my gears changed for a couple of weeks, I just spent over a grand getting my back up camera installed last weekend. I'll check out what you are talking about in your pictures, about the beak thing! Thankyou for all of your great advice! I really appreciate it James!!!

Laurie

SPAZZ
11/30/2004, 08:35 AM
yeah...I know people are smoking some really bad stuff when they say they went with bigger tires and their VX is stock and they needed NO trimming.

when I lifted mine 3 inches and only put 32 x 11.5's from the stock 29.5's I had to do some pretty major trimming the front beak and unfasten the inner wheel well cladding and trim from behind the front wheels and CUT SOME SERIOUS METAL OUT, CUT PART OF THE CLADDING AWAY, HAMMER, GRIND, and fasten the wheel well trim farther back to not rub.

when I put the 305 70's on ( 33x12.5's) I had to DO SOME MORE OF THE CUTTING, GRINDING, HAMMERING, and relocating and still when I turn and hit a good curb or bump they touch a little, but only behind the front wheels. I can not cut much farther because I would have to cut away the bolt holding the outer fender piece which would probably flap around then and make the dorr not shut right or hood or something else.

t2p
12/01/2004, 10:23 AM
LITTLELAURIE:
That VX of yours is AWESOME .... super fantastic .......
Great job !

yal^
12/01/2004, 11:30 AM
LITTLELAURIE you VX is PERFECT!!!
I absolutely love it!!!

but...

ok, not to hijack the thread... but someone please elaborates on gears, ratios and all that we are talking about. Talk to me like I've never driven a car before. I just got a nice set of 31'' super swampers and got scared when I saw them. Putting 32'' BFG A/T on was enough stress on my VX. Those boggers look like they might kill my tranny or God knows what else. Write me a letter, pm me or answer me here, but please talk to me about it

:wtfo2:

LITTLELAURIE
12/01/2004, 01:20 PM
Hi Yal!!

Thankyou very much for your nice words about my VX!! First of all, I did not change my gear ratios. Spazz said that I should change my gears to 456's, that's if I want more power, plus, it would lessen the stress on my engine and improve the fuel economy. I just need to find out who makes those gears. Apparently, Isuzu does not make 456's. I had 33x12.50 swampers on my old Tacoma and after about 2 months, I traded those tires in, because, they truly are too heavy and put a huge amount of stress on my old truck!! I would not put those swampers on your VX. That's just my opinion. I have the BFG's A/T KO'S and they are suppossed to really dependable in wet,icy and snowy conditions, but, not so great for off-roading in deepish mud. Have you gone to epinions.com? If not, go to that website and punch in any brand of tire that you like and are thinking about purchasing. You will get a good idea on other people's opinions about anything on the market. Even the VehiCROSS!! I hope I've helped you a little bit Yal. Afterall, I'm still learning all about this stuff, regarding the VX myself!!!

Laurie

LITTLELAURIE
12/01/2004, 01:25 PM
Hey James!! Who makes the 456 gears? Apparently, Isuzu does not make such a gear. How did you get ,or, how does one get 456's into the VehiCROSS??

Laurie

kpaske
12/01/2004, 01:44 PM
Hey everyone.

LITTLELAURIE - Your VX looks awesome. I was wondering also about the gears so I asked the question in another thread (as not to hijack yours!). There seems to be a little discussion so check it out. It might answer your questions:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=49858#post49858

SPAZZ
12/01/2004, 02:31 PM
ISUZU does not make the gears, but provided them. Our axles are Corporate , so you would have to find Corporate 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear axles with the ring and Pinoins for the ratio you want.

Most junkyard people are not UP on Isuzu stuff, so they will tell you that nothing will work and you are.........high......... anyways, and they still swear up and down that the AISIN manual huns will not fit and there is nothing for our VX's. But, as long as the spline count is same and bolt pattern you should be good.

yal^
12/01/2004, 02:41 PM
LITTLELAURIE thx and thx LOL
Super Swampers I got will be used only off road, which is prolly 3-4 times a year. I was very happy with my BFG and still am, but I just couldn't resist good deal on this other set ;po;
I understand changing gear ratio is not necessary, but I am trying to understand the way things work and why would I want to eventionally do the swap.
Since most likely I will not go to such extreme any time soon, I guess the biggest question is what sort of stress those boggers will bring on my VX while fourwheeling, and what is the chance of busting cv? And if reinforced tie rods still have a chence of breaking?

kpaske, I saw your thread earlier but not soon enough to ask my q's there. Sorry about that. I'll keep my eye on both of those threads. Thx you guys.

SPAZZ
12/01/2004, 04:18 PM
going with bigger gears eases stress off of the engine...keeping stock gears and going with bigger tires puts more strain on engine.

LITTLELAURIE
12/01/2004, 11:35 PM
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gears are still stock! I am deeply considering 456's,but, I don't want to spend thousands in doing so, BUT, I also do not want to put any un-needed stress on my engine! It's a catch 22 I guess!! Thankyou to all that have complimented my VX!! I SINCERELY appreciate all of your kind words, my friends!!! I don't like my pictures though! My VX looks a billion times better and bigger in person! Seriously!!

SPAZZ
12/02/2004, 09:36 AM
;Dp;