PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop - Thinkpad 600

jimbo
11/02/2004, 08:04 AM
Just thought I would share with you guys and gals what a great deal used Thinkpads are these days. I am thrilled with my refurbished Thinkpad 600 that I picked up for $300.

I added a cd burner, external floppy, extra battery and wireless network card, all from e-bay except the network card, for around $100 and updated the OS to Windows 2000.

So I have about $400 in it and it's a great machine, plenty fast enough even though it's a PII 300.

I feel Thinkpads are some of the best built laptops out there and you can get an older one in perfect shape for peanuts now.

I don't even turn my desktop on anymore. I'm writing this from my patio.

As Cartman woud say:

SWEEEET!!!!!!!!! ;)

Dallas4u
11/02/2004, 08:29 AM
I agree... I believe Thinkpads are some of the best built laptops available. I use a T23 at work everyday. New, they are a bit expensive for what you get (it's hard to beat Dell prices), but the thing is almost indestructible.

biju
11/02/2004, 09:01 AM
I'm a powerbook guy at home, but seeing as I work for IBM here in Boulder, CO. I must say that their T40 ThinkPads are great machines!

Joe_Black
11/02/2004, 09:14 AM
I used to service ThinkPads when I was independent and they were pretty robust, although parts are insane $$$ as are most things IBM. The company I'm at now is a Compaq shop and at first I was not happy but soon learned the vast differences between their consumer and business lines of products. Night and day! The business laptops are just awesome. Not much in the way of bells-n-whistles, but absolute workhorses. Besides, in a business environment you don't want bell-n-whistles since your paying people for production. The HP acquisition of Compaq is starting to show though as some the new laptops I've deployed are from the HP side and are bricks. Think I'll be hanging on to my trusty N600C for a while yet! ;Dr;

kpaske
11/02/2004, 09:02 PM
I used to work for IBM in Gaithersburg, MD. My work issued laptops were always rock solid. I'm in the Army right now, and we use IBM's here also - very robust machines. My favorite feature is the expansion bay - in my old laptop i could switch out the CD ROM for a Floppy Drive, extra HDD, Zip Drive, or even an additional battery. I wish my Sony VAIO had that!

Maverick
11/03/2004, 05:28 AM
Great choice!! Ive had a bunch of thinkpads, and im writing this off my R31, very little problems..in fact, since my "big box" crashed a few months ago my tp has taken over as my primary pc..i just plug it into the dock when i get home and an external monitor, and it performs almost as well as my p4 based rambus machine.
they take a beating as well...