PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure

RobVX
02/18/2003, 07:00 AM
Tone:

Thank you again for the trailer hitch/light kit install last week, and for fixing me up with some tire pressure. Running the pressure around 40 makes the VX drive even better, and my gas milage has significantly improved. You ARE the man!

Rob A.

carlymac
02/18/2003, 11:22 AM
OH so you CAN run the tire pressure to above the recomended psi? Are you running 16's, 18's, stock, custom or what? I'm all for a smoother more efficient ride, but I have stock 16's. So can I run 40 psi too?

Tone
02/18/2003, 11:31 AM
You’re welcome Rob - good seeing you again and sorry I can’t make the DFW meet. Running the max stated on the tire increases MPG, increases handling, decreases wear, and in summer or on extended trips, increases safety.

Raque Thomas
10/21/2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by RobVX
Tone:

Running the pressure around 40 makes the VX drive even better, and my gas milage has significantly improved. You ARE the man!

Rob A.

I just tried this today, and the change is fairly dramatic. I had some unusual wear on the outside edges of my front tires which was causing a thumping noise, so I thought I'd try this to get up on the center of the tire. The car feels much lighter, and the steering response is improved. The down side is a much stiffer ride - which is OK with me, as I like that. If you think the ride is stiff now though, you will not want to up your tire pressure. Too early to see if I get improved gas mileage, but I'll post back after a couple of tanks and let you know. As usual, thanks again to Tone for going where no man has gone before, so to speak, with advice about this great vehicle! :D

I think he was the one who also mentioned using Malibu landscape bulbs to increase the wattage in some of your exterior lights - I just bought some 18W ones and put them in the front round running lights - man that made a difference! looks like a fog light! I'm a little concerned about heat, but my car is normally moving if those lights are on, so that should keep it cool enough. Next I'm dying 11 watt bulbs amber and red to put in the horns, I'll try (again!!) to post some pics when I get finished.

johnnyapollo
10/21/2003, 03:22 PM
I run my Scorpions at 46 lbs (max is 50 psi).

You can go with the 9 watt Malibu's to prevent melting (the 18's will bubble the plastic with prolonged use, depending on where you locate them).

-- John

Raque Thomas
10/21/2003, 06:10 PM
I couldn't find the 9watt bulbs - got some 11 watters to try in the "horns". I wish there was a spot that told about the heat difference and what the lights could handle! I've been watching my front marker lights - I think as long as I don't sit and idle for a long time with them on - I'll be OK. I've done the "feel" test, and they're hot - but no damage yet. I figured if the bulbs burned the lens - I'd go ahead and get fogs or drivings lights - no probs yet!

WyrreJ
10/21/2003, 08:03 PM
I've been running the 18w malibus in my driving lights for about 9 months now (first mod I ever did). I usually drive with my driving lights on as a poor-man's DRL and so far I've noticed no damage or other problems at all.

johnnyapollo
10/22/2003, 03:25 AM
I think the driving lights are made to handle higher wattage so the 18s should be fine. The horns and side-markers are a different matter. I've done 9s and 11s in there. If you do a side-marker conversion (connecting an extra set to the indicators so they blink), you'll want to use 11s for the blinker so they will show "above" the 9s while running at night. I haven't changed the rears at all - lazy I guess. I've been thinking about the LED conversion for the rears.

-- John