PDA

View Full Version : VX Backup Camera

Rob
02/17/2003, 08:29 PM
Hello all, just purchased my 2001 VX around a month ago and although I love the vehicle I'm finding it quite an adventure backing it up!! I've heard about a rear camera mod out there but haven't found one yet... Anyone have any mod info for the camera?? Thanks!

SPAZZ
02/17/2003, 08:35 PM
If you have the money go for it or just go down to Pep-Boys and get yourself some Van-Eyes. Fits perfect in the rear window and works just about as good for $12.00

edyavno
02/17/2003, 08:59 PM
You should definetely have Van Eyes even if you have rear view camera. The camera usually turns on when you shift in reverse, but van eyes along with your rear view mirror will help you have a better rear view. It's not called van eyes in the store (at least mine didn't), but it's basically a plastic wide angle lense you stick on the inside of your rear window.
As to the camera, there's plenty of them out there, it's usually the monitor that makes the difference: most people have the indash one, that's also connected to the DVD player, GPS, etc. That's installed instead of the stock head unit. Search this site and club.vmag.com for more samples.
Or you can use rear mirror built-in montor. I have this one: http://www.savv.com/rear.htm
Welcome, and have fun modding! :)
- Ed Y.

geshaw30
02/18/2003, 04:24 AM
Additional thought on Van-Eyes- you need not put that entire ugly piece of plastic over the whole window as it looks like crap back there and blocks out what little view you have. Instead, simply cut out a crescent moon shape piece from the square (about 3" high at it's center point) and set it directly above the center of the spare tire hump. This will give you the only real view you need- straight down from the middle
________
Voyeur Private (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1160/private/videos/1)

Joe_Black
02/18/2003, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the group Rob! There's a VX meet in Orlando at Lake Buena Vista on March 1st which would give you an excellent opportunity to see what others have done about the rear-view issue. Just take a look at the calendar of events from the main page or drop me an email for details. Several from the Tampa area should be convoying over. Hope to see you there!

edyavno
02/18/2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by geshaw30

Instead, simply cut out a crescent moon shape piece from the square (about 3" high at it's center point) and set it directly above the center of the spare tire hump. This will give you the only real view you need- straight down from the middle
I think they come in 2 sizes: I have 6x8. No cutting needed. And yes, you only need in the center.

Cyrk
02/18/2003, 07:47 AM
edyavno can you tell me more about this mirror?
Do you have photos of it installed?
How much is it?
Thanks,
Dave

edyavno
02/18/2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Cyrk
edyavno can you tell me more about this mirror?
Do you have photos of it installed?
How much is it?
Thanks,
Dave
I thought people will be interested. :)
I just installed it a week ago, haven't had a chance to use it much yet, and need to re-adjust the camera - it's pointing too low now.
I'll post pictures and impressions soon.
The Monitor/Mirror + camera cost me $330 both after some negotiating (thanks Mercer), plus $120 for the install (didn't want to screw anything up, had professionals install it).

Bantan
02/18/2003, 08:51 AM
No Problem, Ed;Do;

Rob
02/19/2003, 03:01 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the mirror/monitor info... That looks like a good, simple option... I can't seem to find to many camera options out there... Is there a camera that fits in that "slot" in the rear or is there some custom work required?

Thanks,

Rob

edyavno
02/19/2003, 05:47 PM
You should be able to find plenty of camera choices if you go to any car audio/video install shop, or just do more search on the net.
I didn't put too much thought into camera when I was getting it, I was mostly concerned with the monitor.
Just did a qucik search on the model number of the camera I have, and found the manufacturer's site.
Here's a page with a few of them, mine is Model No JPC-3800P.
http://www.jjcomm.com/product/internet.htm

Pretty much any camera of that size is quite easy to install. Japanese spec VX which was produced before the american one, had a camera as standard equipment, so there's a space for it in the rear door. You can see what will fit if you take off the "half moon" plastic. And, as you can see, there's a "slot" for the camera in the plastic itself, just take out the stub that's in there now. The only "custom work" I had the install guys do was to put the clear plastic in that "slot" to cover the camera. This is optonal tough: many cameras are wateproof and the half moon provides enough protecton as is.

I'll post pictures of my install within the next few weeks.

hope it helps,
- Ed Y.

coachreed
04/01/2003, 07:13 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures when they are available. I took my first test drive in a VX tonight and found that the the words, "blind spot" are a little vague! lol If you don't plan things out, this could be LOTS of fun to reverse later! I definitely will need to have a rearview camera. Of course, mine will be played to the monitor in the dash... yes, I already have that part planned! ;Db;

Again, I look forward to seeing the pics.

Coach... aka Randy!