PDA

View Full Version : Headlight conversion to HID Xenon

arne
10/28/2004, 10:40 AM
Hello there!
Did anybody of you guys ever consider to exchange the light bulbs of the VX headlights with Xenon lights? I saw those japanese or chinese conversion kits on ebay, that basically state to produce lower heat output than earlier Xenon light kits, and could therefore be used as a replacement for any halogene light bulb. Does anyone have some experience with that type of conversion?

Tone
10/28/2004, 04:44 PM
I offer HID upgrade kits that are incredible, have excellent glare controll and are reasonably priced. I'll let others respond here with there reviews but I can harldy wait for dark now when I used to have a really hard time seeing! HIDs draw considerably less current than stock lamps and good kits (like the ones I offer) are truly plug and play with no cutting or modification of the stock wiring at all.

I offer H4 lo beam only, H4 Lo HID /hi quartz, and just installed the lastest HID that is hi AND lo by means of a solenoid controlled shutter. Testing the output as soon as the sun goes down...

Hotsauce
10/28/2004, 05:18 PM
the Ebay kits will not pattern the light correctly in our type of headlight. They will throw way too much light above the lowbeam cutoff line. This will cause you to get flashed often, and pulled over/ticketed for high lights.

John C.

arne
10/29/2004, 06:31 AM
Wow Tone!
I am impressed by your portfolio of accessories for the VX. That's great! The conversion kit you mentioned seems to be the one priced $ 395 (H4 Hi/Quartz Low Beam #5000 Kit) on your list, correct? Do you have any photos of you VX with the HID lights? Did anybody else allready do the conversion to their VXs' and how do they like it?
I am really interrested in this conversion, especially for safety reasons, but of course also for the looks!
Arne :)

james1_10018
10/29/2004, 07:14 AM
Hey Tone
I bought a Hi/Lo kit from you (havent installed it yet). Had you not tested it yourself ?
Also do you have an extensive install instructions for a novice like me ?

Thx

James

Tone
10/29/2004, 09:56 AM
Uh yeah - been running for almost a year - your kit is ready to go - just installed the same one in 30 minutes, most of which was getting the drivers side lamp out without removing the airbox and hiding the wiring for a clean install.

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 10:18 AM
I'm not trying to be a prick about it or anything,

but why in the hell are these kits so expensive? For lights?

For $400, they'd better do more than just light up the road in front of me.

Joe_Black
10/29/2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
I'm not trying to be a prick about it or anything,

but why in the hell are these kits so expensive? For lights?

For $400, they'd better do more than just light up the road in front of me.

The components used in these lighting systems are inherently more expensive than good ole filament technology. High Intensity Disharge lighting utilizes a sealed xenon capsule to produce an extremely high voltage arc between tungsten electrodes which provides a pure light source with wavelengths comparable to true daylight. This capsule is driven by a dedicated electronic ballast that takes your standard 12V supply voltage and ramps it up to a clean high-voltage charge, in addition to providing the higher start-up jolt for the lamp. All while consuming less amperage than a sealed beam and running significantly cooler. The light these systems produce has very little glare, illuminates much more efficiently and makes reflective materials flouresce for greater visibility.

Believe me, once you drive an HID equipped vehicle at night you'll be thinking of nothing else except how to get it yourself. The difference from the driver's seat is that dramatic.

arne
10/29/2004, 11:05 AM
Hey Joe!
Did you convert your VXs to HID lights? If so, did you get the low beams mentioned by Tone?

Joe_Black
10/29/2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by arne
Hey Joe!
Did you convert your VXs to HID lights? If so, did you get the low beams mentioned by Tone?

I've seen Tone's kit on johnnyapollo's VX and it's pretty sweet, but I have extra headlights that I'm going to fab my own set up for using the Hella 90mm bi-xenon modules. I'm kind of, ummm, particular and want to use optics that were designed for HID. Plus I think it'll look totally boss when done! ;pg;

Tone
10/29/2004, 12:24 PM
These kits are cheap compared to just a few years ago when they were $12-1500 a set and many dealers still charge that when you order a vehcile that has HID as an option. Joe, you forgot about the ignitor that gets the spark going. Your capsules will be cool for sure - didn’t someone on here already do it?

infrared69
11/07/2004, 02:59 PM
tone, what bulb color do u have in urs? i was thinking about buying the double hi/low like you have, just curious what colors are best/brightest. i know the higher the temp the bluer, and the lower is supposedly brighter (more white/yellow), just wondering how they compare in person

Tone
11/08/2004, 12:52 PM
I run the 5000K bulbs - closest to white and the brightest. 6500K are not bad either. I have located on more 5000K hi/lo kit in the US that I can get anyone right now for $425.

Checked out a few HID upgrade companies at SEMA and I still believe the Brightstar/MSR kits are the best built. We also checked out ad on HIDs in varying diameters and DEALER cost was over $600 everywhere we checked - crazy.

Ldub
11/08/2004, 04:07 PM
Tone,

Sold! email me w/ what you need 4 info. Ldub

FernZ
01/11/2005, 02:19 PM
Hey guys i was wondering what about these if i were to use these would they be able to plug and play or will i have to modify to get these installed?

Ldub
01/11/2005, 03:03 PM
FernZ,
Refer to posts 2&6 above.

Tone,
Had mine in for a couple weeks now, what a difference. I can't wait to see what they look like properly aimed (aim was off before install).Defenitly worth it & install is E-Z with a few tools & a little creativity(where to mount ballasts & igniters).

Thanks again, Ldub

Tone
01/11/2005, 03:56 PM
Kits will be in stock early next week - if you are interested, please email me or send a deposit as I will only be getting a small number in this time.
Hi/lo kit - $439 w/ free shipping in lower 48
Lo only - $409 w/ free shipping in lower 48

ameetw
01/19/2005, 06:18 AM
Hi Tone,
How about Jap version Vx. Will the lights work for them?

Thanks

Ameet

Tone
01/19/2005, 06:31 AM
Yes they will! I am expecting a small shipment at the end of this week if anyone else is interested in picking up a set - one of the best mods I've ever done.

sveltax
01/19/2005, 09:02 AM
I'm into mountain biking and a good HID light, just one, is close to $300.00. Tone, would the Hi/Low kit fit an Axiom?

Tone
01/19/2005, 09:31 AM
Certainly if it uses the same H4 lamp that we use. If it takes another bulb base, I can get that too. $300 is not goint to get you a quality HID kit with a a good glare shield, but I'm sure you can find something on ebay for that price.

Dallas4u
01/19/2005, 09:55 AM
Actually, I think he means the $300 kit is for the bike lamp (pretty pricey for a bike setup, but very bright!)... no doubt $300 won't buy quality for autos.

Tone
01/19/2005, 11:31 PM
I sell to a number of motorcycle and snow mobile dealers who are buying kits, splitting them and installing them. Find a buddy with the same headlight bulbs and ya'll can share a kit for a little more than $200 each!

Tone
01/25/2005, 01:57 PM
HID kits are in the country but there is only one order for them right now. IF you are interested, please contact me or I will let the balance of the shipment go to another dealer. Thanks.