PDA

View Full Version : metal rattling

james1_10018
10/27/2004, 07:33 AM
When I start my VX cold I hear some rattling , metalic on the pax side underneath the car almost where the door meets the body underneath. Its only there when its cold or when I hit the brake and hold at say traffic lights.
Anyone with similar problems

James

biju
10/27/2004, 08:28 AM
Very same problem! The dealership tech says he fixed it by tightening the heat shield. Wrong! The metal rattle in the mornings still persists.

The duration of the rattle is short and only lasts for 30 seconds to a minute. Never happens when the engine is warm.

Anybody have a fix/solution?

Mr. I-MAN
10/27/2004, 08:29 AM
That is the lovely but useless heat shield on the exhaust. You will need to remove the old rusted clamps and replace them with SS Hose Clamps, Or just remove the heat shield all together.

james1_10018
10/27/2004, 11:37 AM
I know this might sound daft but isnt the heatr shield useful for us to remove it ?

WyrreJ
10/30/2004, 06:22 PM
I suspect it is there to prevent prairie fires. I think that as long as you don't part on dry grass with a hot engine, you will be OK. But, that's just a guess based on experience with another, completely different, automobile.

HotFlyer
10/31/2004, 04:11 AM
I had the same noise. A metalic rattle from under the VX. After warm up it stopped. Got worse and rattled all the time.. It turned out to be a loose baffle in the cat converter. Dealer repaired at N/C. Problem solved.

Howard

Joe_Black
10/31/2004, 07:35 PM
Just helped a fellow VX'er with this today and turned out to be the right-hand exhaust rattling against the passenger side torsion bar. It only happened for him while stopped in gear, but the clearance is so close this could be the culprit for many of y'all as well. Replacing the main exhaust hanger may help as with time it stretches a bit, or perhaps putting a piece of phenolic half-tube around the torsion bar to give the exhaust something to rest against.

crager34
11/01/2004, 09:14 AM
Heat shield.... happens on mine now....

Tone
11/01/2004, 10:17 AM
Also if you have had your muffler replaced, often they are hung differently which will put the exhaust system in a bind when in gear.