PDA

View Full Version : transmission and transfercase durability

siegeliv
10/26/2004, 04:29 PM
nice forem. i am looking to switch out my 03 honda element for a VX. the honda does just what it promises nothing more, especially inspiration. so my question is the fortitude of the trannie and TC, whats the longevity? why do i never see a vx for sale with more the 80K miles?

t2p
10/28/2004, 02:55 PM
I believe the trans is a GM unit ......
and the trans case is a Borg Warner unit ....
Isuzu thought enough of them to offer a significant warranty ....
The trans is used in a number of other applications ..... including a BMW 3 series I believe ........ a search of this site should reveal a chart (or link to the chart) that Tone provided .......
My guess is the trans case is very similar to the one used in the Kia SUV (Sorrento ?) - that vehicle also has a good warranty ....... and similar in many ways to the ones used in the Explorers (with 'Control Trac') ........
The Vehicross has only been around in the US since 99 - and in limited quantities - so it is not surprising there are not many running around with 140k ....... etc .... Also, many are not used as 'primary drivers' .....
Another consideration - when examining issues that surface with the Vehicross ......... some are used in ways that most other vehicles would (could) never encounter ........ difficult and/or nasty off road conditions ...... including deep water, etc ....

AlaskaVX
10/28/2004, 03:35 PM
FYI there is a VX with about 150,000 miles for sale on Ebay right now. The add only mentions electrical problems everything else is good.

Andrey
10/28/2004, 03:46 PM
my sticker says tranny made in France

marximus
10/28/2004, 07:44 PM
Hooray for Ebay!

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 09:28 AM
The tranny is a 4L30E, little sister of the more robust 4L60E that are found on most GM full-size trucks.

Its a pretty reliable little tranny if you take care of it. Based purely on ancedotal evidence, I'd wager to say the shelf-life on it is just past 200,000 miles before needed a rebuild. Your milage may vary however based on how well you maintain the fluid changes.

Green Dragon
10/29/2004, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by t2p
[B]I believe the trans is a GM unit ......
and the trans case is a Borg Warner unit ....
Isuzu thought enough of them to offer a significant warranty ....

Xfer case is not part of drive train warranty

Bob F

t2p
10/29/2004, 09:48 AM
........ now I discover this .....
hmmm ....... that is lame ........... what kind of drivetrain warranty does not cover a transfer case ..........

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 10:56 AM
*rolleyes*

YES IT IS.

the TOD computer isn't but the transfer case IS COVERED under the powertrain warranty.

Call up isuzu and ask. I have twice just for this very question just to make sure I got the same answer out of two different phone jockeys.

deermagnet
10/29/2004, 01:07 PM
In this world if you don't have it writing, forget about it.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/imags/ptrain.png

t2p
10/29/2004, 01:28 PM
.............................................. 21st Century Schizoid Man ............

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 02:17 PM
800-255-6727
Hours: 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PST)
Monday to Friday

Ok, you call them, then ask them why they are lying to you over the phone.

Just go ahead.

I'm sure you'll get a nice explanation.