PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 1 ???

Hanalei
10/26/2004, 08:49 AM
Can someone please tell me if this is correct?

Transfer case oil change = Dexron III

Front and rear diffs = Mobil 1 synthetic

VX crazy
10/26/2004, 08:52 AM
transfer case is the same as ATF, diff needs to be gear oil, not engine oil. I think you got it.

jimbo
10/26/2004, 08:59 AM
I downloaded the CD service manual and it seemed to specify (using temperature charts) different weight oils for the front and rear differentials (based on our temp range in the NE).

I decided to go with Royal Purple synthetics and put MAX GEAR - 75W90 in the front and MAX GEAR - 85W140 in the back. I ordered them here:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/racingsuperstore/royalpurple.html

Some folks say use the same weight, I'm not sure which is better or why. Maybe the manual assumes you are most likely to kick in the front axle in very cold weather without time to get the gear oil good and warmed up.

Dextron III is correct for the transfer case and transmission.

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 09:12 AM
Transfer case (TOD) and Transmission: Mobil-1 ATF.

Front differential: Mobil-1 Gear Lube.

Rear differential: Mobil-1 Gear Lube, LSD additive.

jimbo
10/26/2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Joe-

According to Royal Purple the additive is built into their synthetic gear oil. I assume this is true?

VX crazy
10/26/2004, 09:24 AM
I use all Royal Purple also, you dont need the LSD additive with full synthetic. I also run the 85 140 in both front and rear

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jimbo
Hi Joe-

According to Royal Purple the additive is built into their synthetic gear oil. I assume this is true?

There are only two true synthetics: Mobil-1 and Amsoil. They say the same thing as well about the LSD additive, but it's more applicable to viscous type LSD units which the VX doesn't have. Some people experience chatter from the diff without additional additive, so you could take a chance or just spend the extra $5 and put it in while you're doing the service.

Tone
10/26/2004, 12:32 PM
That is categorically incorrect - there are far more than 2 total synthetic fluid. :rolleyes: Joe is just VERY partial to Mobil1 and it IS the most commonly found for a reasonable price.

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Tone
That is categorically incorrect - there are far more than 2 total synthetic fluid. :rolleyes: Joe is just VERY partial to Mobil1 and it IS the most commonly found for a reasonable price.

Well, just a little. ;pg; Really though, Mobil-1 and Amsoil are the only two to use true synthetic basestocks (and have it backed up with industry certificiations in Mobil's case) whereas the rest are synthetic blends. Remember that synthetics aren't regulated in any way, you could by used oil by the drum and re-bottle it with a drop of synthetic and market it as the best 100% synthetic known to the galaxy.

Tone
10/26/2004, 03:59 PM
There was a post several months back that linked to a great study of synthetics. I do not believe that companies can claim 100% synthetic (base stock excluded) and not be. Just as the 50/50 blends are just that. There ARE regulations of the oil industry.