PDA

View Full Version : what type of oil should i use?

V12BMW
10/25/2004, 09:23 PM
hey guys if you read my post below this one you know that the dealship didnt include a owners manual so what type of oil should I used in my VX for cold weather conditions? and how many quarts? Is the oil filter right below the the radaitor because i want to swap that out too.

VX crazy
10/26/2004, 05:22 AM
In our owners manual you can use any grade oil depending on the temperature conditions of where you live. In Michigan for the winter you should use 5 30, here in Texas I us 20 50 in the summer and 10 30 in the winter, and always have used Royal Purple.

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 05:23 AM
Mobil-1, 5 quarts as available in handy jugs from Wal-Mart. I prefer the red-cap. Mobil-1 again on the filter, model M1-104 available at AutoZone. All you need for the oil change is a drain pan, 22mm wrench, filter wrench and you can do and reach everything from under the nose without jacking anything up. Easiest maintenance ever! ;Dy;

jimbo
10/26/2004, 05:55 AM
and how many quarts? Is the oil filter right below the the radiator because i want to swap that out too?
I just did this for the first time this weekend. I used 5 quarts and chose Royal Purple 5w30, it's supposed to be a cold winter here in Philly this year.

The oil filter is right under the radiator in the front. I tried to find a post about the oil filter location myself, and checked the manual, but couldn't find it stated. I guess it's pretty obvious once you get under there but I like to see it in writing to be sure. Especially when it's new to you.

I had two problems changing the oil. The first, in a post below, was getting the damn filter on there off cause none of the wrenches I could find were small enough. The other was where I put the pan to drain the oil. I gave it about six inches off to the drivers side figuring the oil would kind-of shoot in that direction. A good foot or more would have been better. It came shooting out like a garden hose and just missed the pan, overshooting by a couple inches.

Boy it was a mess. ;eekr;

jimbo
10/26/2004, 06:13 AM
Oh ... the oil pan says something crazy on it like "Tokyo radiator" or something. Somewhere on this site is a photo of it. I couldn't find the photo this morning.

Again I guess it's obvious, but the "radiator" label can throw you off.

V12BMW
11/02/2004, 12:06 PM
Yea man wtf, i was down there and what I thought was the oil pan/drain plug it said radaitor :confused: So i thought for a second and unscrewed it ne way and sure enough I struck oil;Dy;

AlaskaVX
11/02/2004, 12:47 PM
HAHA the first time I did an oil change I looked at that and was like "Tokyo Radiator?" Huh?! I actually drove it to my mechanic buddies house to make sure. He was even kind of perplexed on why they would put Tokyo Radiator on it.

UtahVXer
11/03/2004, 05:37 PM
Mobil-1, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, each brand has its fans. And they all claim you can go a year or 12,000 miles, etc. between changes. I wonder if there are any comparison studies to show which is really best. Or are they all equally good?
Also, does anyone know of an oil filter that will last that long? I know Amsoil has a spin on bypass filter as well as a high tech full-flow filter. I guess I am just old-school. Although I use synthetics (Royal Purple now) I still change it at the regular intervals.