PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Problem

VXtreme
10/25/2004, 02:11 PM
Right now I am a little bummed about my supercharger. About 4 days ago, I went out and started my VX. I heard a knocking noise from under the hood. I checked and the noise was coming from my S/C. It was present at idle and actually got worse when given throttle. It appeared to be coming from the rear of the S/C. I checked the oil level in the S/C, it was full. I removed the S/C belt and restarted the VX again and the noise was considerably less, but still there under throttle. This was not the typical clicking noise that some of you with S/C's have mentioned. I called Alpine and spoke to John. No help at all to me. Should have saved the dime! I then decided to call Magnuson Products and spoke to one of their tech's. He told me it sounds like the rear needle bearings have failed for some reason and that they will have to be replaced and possibly the rotors too. The rotors are about $300 plus about $5 for each rear bearing. With labor and shipping to them and back it looks like it could run as much as $500 to $600 to repair. I'm not happy about that since the S/C has only been on the VX since 8/2003 and had about 13,000 miles put on it. Of course it is just outside of the 12 month warranty period. John at Alpine suggested that I call Dell financial about it. Is the S/C warranteed by Dell or is it just the drive components? Some advise on Dell would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone else with a S/C had any bearing or failure problems? Dave the tech at Magnuson said I might have injested something into the S/C. I don't know how that would be possible with the air filter and the screen in the MAF. Any ideas from any of you would be helpful.

Tone
10/25/2004, 02:53 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. I have been running one HARD for almost 2 yrs and GP Bob for longer than that and have not heard of that problem. I will be in Vegas Nov. 4-6th at SEMA and will speak to Magnuson and Alpine about it.

Can you feel it in the pulley / nose of the SC if you spin it by hand without the belt on? Might want to use a piece of hose or a stethoscope to help isolate where the sound is coming from.

The Dell Financial Warranty was provided with some SCs last year that sold for full retail and were for coverage of the powertrain - but reading the fine print, Alpine parts are mentioned. The registration card HAD to be mailed within a certain time frame and had other limitations. It should be posted in my gallery or email me and I can send you a copy.

Bummer either way - manifold has to come off to remove SC for service.

SGT.BATGUANO
10/26/2004, 12:16 AM
If the belt is removed, how can the s/c still make a knocking noise?

Does it freewheel?

Hope the problem doesn't lie deeper in the engine.

VXtreme
10/26/2004, 07:19 AM
The S/C will freewheel when throttle is applied. Obviously it is the vacuum that the engine is creating that is turning the rotors. I have pretty much islolated the noise to the rear of S/C and as I said Dave at Magnuson felt it was problably the rear needle bearings that have failed. I am certain that there is no deeper problem such as in the engine as it runs very good and is quite. The noise is definately coming from the S/C.

Tone, do you have the number for Dell Financial? It is at least worth a call to them to see if it is covered. Thanks.

Tone
10/26/2004, 07:35 AM
It should be on your half of the warranty card and you had to send in the other half shortly after install - 800-684-1175 - good luck.