PDA

View Full Version : VX / Lotus owners. How many?

David Wiltshire
10/25/2004, 01:17 PM
I have just been browsing through the various topics and noticed that The Dutch Guy owns a VX and a Lotus so do I. I also recall reading another post from someone else who owns a VX and a Lotus, so just out of interest I was wondering how many more people own both marques. It must have something to do with good handling and performance!

VXcaver
10/25/2004, 02:04 PM
That's funny... I owned a Lotus Europa in mid eighties. Not the high-end Lotus you're problably talking about, but handling was kick-*** and the car accelerated like lightning. Was quite a head-turner. Miss it, wish I'd kept it!

thedutchguy
10/25/2004, 02:12 PM
How about good taste ?;Dy;

David Wiltshire
10/25/2004, 02:14 PM
I also had a Europa when they first came out about early seventies and recently tried a restored one unfortunately I was a lot younger and thiner in those days because once I got in it and had a drive I could not get back out and thought I might have to buy it because I am permanantly wedged in it. Luckily with a but of pulling and shoving I did get out. Great little car though.

VXcaver
10/25/2004, 03:27 PM
Serious! Everything about it felt like a sooped up gocart - I remember looking up at Honda Civics on the freeway and thinking about how low I was. One of the few cars that really could drive under an 18 wheeler's trailer. All my friends liked riding in it, but it was hard for some to get in and out of.

Sort of like the back seat in the VX, come to think of it... :D

transio
10/25/2004, 04:35 PM
I'm on the list to get a Lotus Elise. I'm thinking about dropping off to get the Viper SRT-10, though (you can pick one up used with about 10k miles for about 20% more than a loaded Elise). I'll have to make up my mind quick... I have to order by this Friday!!!

Bantan
10/25/2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by transio
I'm on the list to get a Lotus Elise. I'm thinking about dropping off to get the Viper SRT-10, though (you can pick one up used with about 10k miles for about 20% more than a loaded Elise). I'll have to make up my mind quick... I have to order by this Friday!!!

Hey Bro, there was a Viper SRT-10 at the Car Showcase on University last Friday night.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/2252604oct_007.jpg
Too bad you could not make it, maybe next time. I was the only VX there. After making my grand appearance, I parked leaving the stereo on, my Green horn lights and the windows down, then stood across the street watching the fans roll/walk by. Many stopped to look in, take photos, drool, pose, comment, one kid even had the nerve to get into the driver seat.

Simon Templar
10/26/2004, 09:24 PM
Sadly, no Lotus here....although I yearned for a Europa back in the 70's as well.

I can offer a VX, a Triumph TR-7 (for those who are old enough to remember "The Shape of Things To Come"), and a Volvo P1800, though.

.....sT

David Wiltshire
10/27/2004, 05:31 AM
transio,
If you have loads of tight twisty roads where you live you will love the Elise also try getting in it with the hood in place before buying. It really does drive like a go kart.

transio
10/27/2004, 07:42 AM
David, I've tested out the ingress/egress with top on, and, yeah, it's a major pain n the ***. I've allso had the opportunity to drive a Euro-spec 111s. It was amazing on turns. No twisties in Miami, unfortunately, but that's what autox is for! Anyhow.... thinking hard about what I'm gonna do.

VXcaver
10/27/2004, 08:44 AM
Hmmm... now that I think about it, my Europa had horrible rear visability, too. (With the Europa, all you could see in the rearview was the grill of the car behind you!) With the VX, the roof of thecar two back. ;Dr;

Hmm...

ThunderChicken
11/04/2004, 05:26 PM
I know a few weeks ago I posted on here that my wife said I could have another VX to go with the one I currently have but soory fellas I found a "new" toy. I'm going to save my pennies and get one of those Lambo kit cars.

I found a company that will build one for around $15,000 about what I got in my VX.

transio
11/05/2004, 11:19 AM
Thunder, don't get a lambo kit car. You won't be happy with it. If you want a really nice kit for cheap, look at the K1 Attack. I think you can get one built for about 30k. The kit is 15k + donor parts. and it's a true ground-up sports car. (and it looks a lot like a lambo)

OR, you could get a used Corvette C5 for under 20k. That's a great performance deal with a car that is easily serviced.

Dallas4u
11/05/2004, 11:45 AM
Is this the K1 Attack you're talking about (Transio)?

http://www.k1-styling.sk/images/main1_01.jpg

I have to admint, the styling is pretty sweet looking!!

Raque Thomas
11/05/2004, 02:42 PM
Hey Dallas - have you got the link to that site?

Dallas4u
11/05/2004, 02:53 PM
Check it out...

http://www.k1-styling.sk/menu.php

Make sure and look at those seats!!!

transio
11/05/2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, that's the one. It's a hot little car. Fair weather only, though. The top is a $2500 option, and it's a biatch to put on.

PS - another HOT HOT HOT kit car coming out soon is the Factory Five Racing GTM coupe. That one will be 20k for the kit. It looks a lot like a Fort GT (150k car) and features a vette engine ;) Hotness!

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/gtmprototype.html

PPS - If you want to get crazy, check out the ULTIMATE of kit cars... and ALL cars, for that matter... the Ultima GTR. The kit itself is 90k + Engine and transmission!!!! Fully assembled, the car will set you back close to $150k. It will outperform an Enzo Ferrari, and a McLaren F1, though!

http://www.ultimacars.com/

The Ultima GTR recently recorded the world record 0-100-0 time (11 seconds), in which it managed a 2.6 second 0-60 time. It corners at well over 1g and has 600+ horsepower in a 2300 pound shell !!!!!

RitchieDon
11/07/2004, 05:24 PM
I bought my Europa in 1978 and had a blast with it. I finally sold it this summer. I will miss it but now that I have my VX, I really didn't have a need for it. The car wasn't something you wanted to drive when the weather gets bad and it couldn't go near the places I can go now.

Maverick
11/07/2004, 06:46 PM
thats a real beauty....always wanted one., theyre so much different than almost all the sports cars of their era...very cool!!

thedutchguy
11/07/2004, 10:37 PM
Transio, have you driven the Ultima? I have, it's sold by the same guy over here who sells Donkervoort.
You need earplugs when you drive it though.
Because of exhaust emissions, the car is now only built with an Audi engine over here the same as the Spyker.
http://www.cwn.org.uk/business/a-z/a/anderson-ryan/images/spyker-C8-laviolette-400x300.jpg

Which is also built here in the Netherlands.

transio
11/08/2004, 07:17 AM
Dutchguy,

I haven't had the pleasure of driving one. There are only a couple in the whole US. I have spoken to someone who has, though. Spyker is a beautiful car. I really love the interior and the stainless accents on the exterior. Very retro-modern!!!!

thedutchguy
11/08/2004, 07:54 AM
A friend of mine who is making my wheelcentre logo for cad, also designed the fuell tank of the Spyker, chances are I might get to drive one this summer!If I wanted to buy one I'd need a wheelbarrel full of cash.I could buy shares of Spyker as they are listed in the dutch stock exchange.