PDA

View Full Version : TOD vs Transfer Case - Same thing?

jimbo
10/22/2004, 09:43 AM
I've searched the site (sometimes you miss stuff though, wading through dozens of hits) and read the service manual and it seems that these two terms are often interchanged. At least one other poster has asked this same question but didn't receive a response, the thread ended there (maybe it's a stupid question - if so sorry).

Are they the same thing? Is the transfer case part of the TOD system?

For example: in the service manual it states that the transfer case holds 2 quarts (doesn't specify of what here)

... and elsewhere it says that the TOD system uses Dextron III.

I'm assuming , based on other posts on this site (and logical deduction), that the transfer case holds two quarts of Dextron III (or equivalent).

Is this correct?

xdfarrx
10/22/2004, 09:56 AM
I had Mobil 1 syn used. I believe it was atf added

Tone
10/22/2004, 10:23 AM
Transfer/TOD cases are the same unit on the VX. Uses Dexron III or better and takes a bit more than 2 qts. Easy to drain and fill - can’t change the fluid in this one too much either as the clutches throw off debri that needs to be removed.

jimbo
10/22/2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks Tone!

Joe_Black
10/22/2004, 10:52 AM
What Tone said. Two quarts Mobil-1 ATF, a funnel & hose, a drain pan and 15 minutes then you're done. ;Do;

lttlbddy
10/22/2004, 01:31 PM
The real answer to the question is:

TOD is a type of transfer case. Isuzu used this case in ALL of the VXs and some of the Troopers. Not sure if it made it into any others (maybe Axiom?).

As to the question of what type of fluid, I will defer to the answers already posted.

Steve G

jimbo
10/22/2004, 03:23 PM
Stumbled onto this article, if you read down it says to use gear oil in the transfer case.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3102/is_12_122/ai_111648277

That's bad ... right? I wonder if there are mechanics out there following this advice and if it has damaged anyone's VX.

Here's another place with the same article:

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=78397

dkmiller68
10/22/2004, 05:04 PM
I like to think of the transfer case as hardware and TOD as software for it.

Tone
10/22/2004, 08:08 PM
I have had calls from people on the board who were at oil change places and they were goling to put in gear oill! Even though it says Dexron on the case....

mrlegoman
05/08/2005, 08:34 AM
The Mitchell Repair software says:

Transfer Case:
Use engine oil SAE 5w-30 for temps upto 95 degs F
Use 15W-40, 20W-40, or 20W50 etc, etc,

I've also heard of people using Gear Oil :P

But right on the transfer case it says "Fill ATF II or III"

Kinda messed up.

GoIsuzu
05/08/2005, 08:57 AM
The real answer to the question is:

TOD is a type of transfer case. Isuzu used this case in ALL of the VXs and some of the Troopers. Not sure if it made it into any others (maybe Axiom?).

As to the question of what type of fluid, I will defer to the answers already posted.

Steve G

The Axiom has Torque on Demand as well. I recently had the opportunity drive a 2002 Axiom across a muddy field. There were times I thought for sure I was going to high center myself as deep as the tires were sinking. To my surprise the Axiom managed to drive about 600 feet into the field, where I parked it for about two hours before driving another 600 feet back to the main road.

Not once did I have to put it in 4L.

If I can't find a VX soon, I may end up with an Axiom.