PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter when?

drdavidr4u
10/21/2004, 08:45 PM
Can anyone tell me what the normal replacement milage is on the fuel filter in the 2001 VX?

Francesco Rizzo
10/21/2004, 09:34 PM
I second.. I just spent all kinda of $$ on an exhaust hoping to get a few more miles out of each tank.. and I know the filter can have an adverse effect on mpg if not exchanged. Got 68K by the way

drdavidr4u
10/22/2004, 06:11 AM
But is the dealer telling me I need a new fule filter at 19,000miles when there is no problems with the engine/performance just their way of sucking more $$$ out of you? Can not these fuel filters go longer than that?

Green Dragon
10/22/2004, 07:44 AM
Hard to say when to change fuel filter. I changed mine at 30K & it was DIRTY ( You can tell that by turning filter over and dumping latent gas out of input line).

You can change it yourself for the cost of the filter, about $7.50

Bob

Dallas4u
10/22/2004, 08:31 AM
Fuel filters and PCV valves are so cheap... I would do my PCV valve every 3-4 oil changes, and I think I did my fuel filter 3 times since I had my VX, so around 8k-10k miles... every 3-4 oil changes. It may sound like a lot (too much?) but can you feel like you're spending too much by taking 10 minutes to throw on $7 part to keep your fuel system clean?

dkmiller68
10/23/2004, 04:55 PM
I just changed mine at 43k (have only owned it since 37k) and took a hacksaw to the old one. I was curious to see the condition and found that it was quite free of debris. I don't know if it was original or not...I'm guessing it was. How often to change it? I think the major source of fuel debris is caused by either corrosion from the tank (which will occer if you get water in your gas...water being heavier than gasoline, will sink to the bottom and begin the corrosion process) or stuff you get from the fillup. Which leads me to something I heard...Never fill up your tank when the tanker is transferring gasoline to the station's tanks...the crap on the bottom of their tank is being stirred up. makes sense to me. As in case number 1 above, the best fight against this might be an occassional can of dry gas which causes any water in the vehicle's tank to be absorbed into the gasoline.
How often to change it? Don't know.

VX crazy
10/23/2004, 05:44 PM
Old wive's tale / urban legend - there are several filters on gas station pump systems. You should changer your filter often as well as remove the 12mm drain plug on the tank for a few seonds to let any water / debris out of the tank. Capture and properly dispose of the fuel that comes out.

dkmiller68
10/24/2004, 09:21 AM
When is the best time to replace fuel filter?
When is the best time to trim bushes? ...when you have the clippers in your hand; so; maybe the best time to replace the filter is when you $15 and 20 minutes.

cooks 7
10/25/2004, 10:56 AM
What filter do you use? Is it worth it to go to the dealer or is a parts store brand good enough, also, where is it located? I haven't looked for it, but was planning on replacing mine soon, 30,000 miles..

Tone
10/25/2004, 01:13 PM
WIX 33310 is one or go to the auto parts and ask for a fuel filter for a.....

Search would have found this and the answers to your other questions.:rolleyes: :D